Menu

which Keurig?

We broke down and bought a Keurig about two months ago. Seriously, I don't know how we lived without it!

I drink 1 cup a day, my mom (who lives with us) drinks 1 cup per day, and dh doesn't drink coffee. I get up and leave for work at 7 am most days, but mom doesn't get up and downstairs until an hour later. If I make a pot of coffee for me, to put in a travel mug, it sits for an hour before mom gets to it. Yuck! And with us only drinking two cups anyway, we would make a 4 cup pot (the smallest our pot made) and then throw out half a pot every day. Wasteful!

So we bought this one. We bought this model because we really do drink a lot of iced tea in the summer, but hate having to give up fridge space to the big tea jug.

We're shopping around for the best prices on K-cups now. We like the Green Mountain Nantucket Blend, and I like to have a few flavored choices on hand for when the mood strikes me.

Hope that helps!

astrid

We broke down and bought a Keurig about two months ago. Seriously, I don't know how we lived without it!

I drink 1 cup a day, my mom (who lives with us) drinks 1 cup per day, and dh doesn't drink coffee. I get up and leave for work at 7 am most days, but mom doesn't get up and downstairs until an hour later. If I make a pot of coffee for me, to put in a travel mug, it sits for an hour before mom gets to it. Yuck! And with us only drinking two cups anyway, we would make a 4 cup pot (the smallest our pot made) and then throw out half a pot every day. Wasteful!

So we bought this one. We bought this model because we really do drink a lot of iced tea in the summer, but hate having to give up fridge space to the big tea jug.

We're shopping around for the best prices on K-cups now. We like the Green Mountain Nantucket Blend, and I like to have a few flavored choices on hand for when the mood strikes me.

Hope that helps!

astrid

which one? your link took me to the index but not the model. Thanks!

Sorry....I clicked on my model and copied the link--- thought it would work.

It's the Platinum Brewing System.

Really, I about choked when I bought it, but I had a gift certificate to Kohl's, and then watched the sales, and got it for a bit over $100. I think I"ve heard that Amazon has good deals on them too. For us, wasting as much coffee as we did, it makes sense.

My friend sent me some links for the cheapest sources online she's found for K-cups. If I can find them in my inbox I"ll post them here.

Astrid

I am wondering, for you 1 or 2 cup/day/family people: why not a paper cone, like Melita? I've been doing it for years and it seems so simple and compact....I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Hmm...don't know what you mean; I've never seen the Melita, but have seen the filters at the grocery store. I just assumed they were for a different type of coffeemaker.

We had a French press coffee maker for a while, but though I loved the taste, mom found it too strong. So then *I* would make mine with the French press, and mom would try to brew a 2 cup pot, which didn't really work; it's hard to brew such a small amount in the coffeemaker we had. Not to mention the fact that we had to give up precious counter space to both a coffeemaker and a French press. In our old Victorian house, counter space is scarce. We drink our coffee black, so coffee taste is really important to us as we don't put anything else with it such as milk or sugar.

Anyway, we do love our Keurig.

astrid

I am wondering, for you 1 or 2 cup/day/family people: why not a paper cone, like Melita? I've been doing it for years and it seems so simple and compact....I'm wondering what I'm missing.

That's what we use now. It works fine for the two of us. But when we have company it gets cumbersome. I boil a pot of water and put it in a thermos. My mom also does the Melita and when we visit each other we bring our cones along so we get our coffee pronto. They're easy to use, but don't dump them accidently. It's a huge mess.

We've become the designated meeting/gathering spot for family functions and I think the Keurig would be a welcome addition for our company and us.

Sorry....I clicked on my model and copied the link--- thought it would work.

It's the Platinum Brewing System.

Really, I about choked when I bought it, but I had a gift certificate to Kohl's, and then watched the sales, and got it for a bit over $100. I think I"ve heard that Amazon has good deals on them too. For us, wasting as much coffee as we did, it makes sense.

My friend sent me some links for the cheapest sources online she's found for K-cups. If I can find them in my inbox I"ll post them here.

Astrid

can you pick different size cups of coffee, 8 oz, 12 oz, etc.? Or would I have to do two k-cups to fill my 1 cuppa joe :)

Hmm...don't know what you mean; I've never seen the Melita, but have seen the filters at the grocery store. I just assumed they were for a different type of coffeemaker.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=10182077

Easy, peasy. Comes in 1,2,4, and 6 cup. I have a 2 cup and a bigger one that that has a funnel for brewing right into my thermos. Boil water, pour through. I had a ceramic one for years, but I'm married to a fumble fingers...

One more question. Is the coffee inside the k-cup actual grounds or is it instant coffee?

Can you ever use your grounds (as in just ground beans) to make a cuppa with the Keurig?

It's grounds, not instant.

I use a refillable K-cup most days.

And to answer your question above, the B66 does let you choose cup size--I believe they are 5, 7, & 9 oz sizes.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=10182077

Easy, peasy. Comes in 1,2,4, and 6 cup. I have a 2 cup and a bigger one that that has a funnel for brewing right into my thermos. Boil water, pour through. I had a ceramic one for years, but I'm married to a fumble fingers...

Because I don't want to even wait for water to boil (I know, that's really bad :001_huh:), and I shouldn't be pouring boiled water before I have my first cup :lol:.

I have the Limited Edition and love it!! I'm the only coffee drinker here and I love a hot cup. I get two cups from each of my pods, BTW. I buy the extra dark for that reason!!

You can put your own coffee in if you buy the cup for that. I got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond with the 20% off coupon. If you aren't already signed up, they will send you one for entering your email.

I buy my coffee there as well. Just save up those coupons!! And, I just love the little carousel for the pods for some reason. Just inviting.

I will say my local Food Lion and Harris Teeter sell the coffee for the Keurig now but the boxes are not as large as the ones at BB&B. When I looked around, it was the best price there with the coupon.

Mine does do different sizes.

We have the Elite and the Mini. We travel with our Mini - dh just can't live without it. We also have a few older models hanging around somewhere... DH want to get a plumbed unit eventually. We used to bring ours to family parties, but now most family members have their own Keurigs. We never buy our k-cups in the store - way too expensive. We buy most of ours at www.shoffee.com, and a few other places.

You can change the "brew size" teacup, mug, travel mug, etc. Not sure of the oz. of each. I would think, though, if you were filling a big mug or big travel mug you'd want to use 2 K-cups. It would be rather weak, I would think.

One thing I forgot to mention: you can get a little doo-hickey called a "my K-cup" in which you can put your own coffee, rather than using a prepackaged k-cup. We have one and use it frequently, thus reducing the amount of packaging waste we put out. It's here--- scroll down the page:

http://www.keurig.com/accessories.asp?cat_id=13&mscsid=17XXMBV69WCK9NUMHKKNJUU7SNBQFDS2

Hope that helps!

astrid

I don't know if you're absolutely set on the Keurig, but we have a Senseo and love it. The filter packs are much more economical than the k-cups and they also take up a lot less space (everyone I know with a Keurig keeps their k-cups out in a rack on the counter which would drive me absolutely batty).

The advantage of the k-cups is that there are many brands of coffee for it. We've been very happy with the Senseo coffee (the Kona is amazing) and it runs about 25 cents per cup.

Happy brewing!

I have the Limited Edition and love it!! I'm the only coffee drinker here and I love a hot cup. I get two cups from each of my pods, BTW. I buy the extra dark for that reason!!

You can put your own coffee in if you buy the cup for that. I got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond with the 20% off coupon. If you aren't already signed up, they will send you one for entering your email.

I buy my coffee there as well. Just save up those coupons!! And, I just love the little carousel for the pods for some reason. Just inviting.

I will say my local Food Lion and Harris Teeter sell the coffee for the Keurig now but the boxes are not as large as the ones at BB&B. When I looked around, it was the best price there with the coupon.

Mine does do different sizes.

I'm holding a 20% for BBB and a 15% for Target an dh offered me his $10 Kohol's cash. . . . . just trying to figure which is the best deal. But I can't tell from online if they all carry the same models or not. Prices are about the same across the board. It would be nice to find a package deal with a bunch of k-cups and perhaps a rack. :) Costco appears to have that deal but we don't have a membership there.

Probably need to drive to each store but that involves suiting up 5 kiddos in winter gear.........

I'm holding a 20% for BBB and a 15% for Target an dh offered me his $10 Kohol's cash. . . . . just trying to figure which is the best deal. But I can't tell from online if they all carry the same models or not. Prices are about the same across the board. It would be nice to find a package deal with a bunch of k-cups and perhaps a rack. :) Costco appears to have that deal but we don't have a membership there.

Probably need to drive to each store but that involves suiting up 5 kiddos in winter gear.........

Do you have a Sam's membership? Theirs is a package deal.

Do you have a Sam's membership? Theirs is a package deal.

Yes, we went with the Sam's package. It seemed the best deal I could find. We love ours, the B66 model. I also got the My K-cup and the spinning rack. I'm a coffee drinker, dh is a hot tea drinker, ds #1 is a coffee drinker, ds #2 is a hot chocolate drinker, ds #3 is a jello eater, and ds #4 just loves to watch the machine work (he squeals and does a little stomping dance when the lights come on). One machine meets all our needs! ;)

We make coffee either in the morning or sometimes the night before.

If you let it cool in its container, coffee reheats very nicely in the microwave. So when we have extra I just put it into a canning jar in the fridge, and warm it the next time I want some. This is so inexpensive, and very nice for travel. I have a great travel mug, stainless steel, with a thermos interior and a very spill proof top. If I put hot coffee in that in the morning, it is still hot at 1PM.

I don't see any reason to buy all those little capsules.

We make coffee either in the morning or sometimes the night before.

If you let it cool in its container, coffee reheats very nicely in the microwave. So when we have extra I just put it into a canning jar in the fridge, and warm it the next time I want some. This is so inexpensive, and very nice for travel. I have a great travel mug, stainless steel, with a thermos interior and a very spill proof top. If I put hot coffee in that in the morning, it is still hot at 1PM.

I don't see any reason to buy all those little capsules.

Alas, no microwave.

Yes, we went with the Sam's package. It seemed the best deal I could find. We love ours, the B66 model. I also got the My K-cup and the spinning rack. I'm a coffee drinker, dh is a hot tea drinker, ds #1 is a coffee drinker, ds #2 is a hot chocolate drinker, ds #3 is a jello eater, and ds #4 just loves to watch the machine work (he squeals and does a little stomping dance when the lights come on). One machine meets all our needs! ;)

Sounds perfect for your family. Just curious what the Keurig has to do with Jello. Do you mean it makes Jello, too?

Sounds perfect for your family. Just curious what the Keurig has to do with Jello. Do you mean it makes Jello, too?

It doesn't make jello, per se, but dispenses hot, almost boiling water. I use a cup of the hot water, dissolve the jello, then add a cup of cold water. I can make jello this way in under two minutes, and either freeze it into pops or cool it in the fridge as normal. I also use it to make hot water to mix with vinegar as a cleaner. Lots of uses for it around here, but coffee is still my personal choice!!

It doesn't make jello, per se, but dispenses hot, almost boiling water. I use a cup of the hot water, dissolve the jello, then add a cup of cold water. I can make jello this way in under two minutes, and either freeze it into pops or cool it in the fridge as normal. I also use it to make hot water to mix with vinegar as a cleaner. Lots of uses for it around here, but coffee is still my personal choice!!

Got it! Thanks for the explaination. I was trying to imagine little Jello pods. LOL!

I make Jello cups for my ds school lunch. Sounds much easier than heating the water in the microwave.

Thanks!!

Ds always want to make jello - I thought I was the only one who used the Keurig this way. :001_smile: I also use it for au gratin potato mixes, stuffing, oatmeal, etc. Basically anything that needs a cup of boiling water! I have to remember to run some clean water through first, otherwise the jello tastes like coffee.:tongue_smilie: