Menu

Thrift stores are WONDERFUL

We have a nice little thrift store in a little town near us. Today we did very well there.

Jeans and holiday sweater for me

dress pants and 2 dress shirts for 21ds

2 sweaters for 14dd

2 skirts, a silk dress shirt and knit pants for 13dd

$2 spent on Christmas gifts for siblings

mittens for my niece

and my biggest find.........a wood block to hold my new Cutco knives for 50 cents!!!! It is not the exact cutco block but it holds them all and the cutco one was $104.

I got all of this plus a free plastic sled to use in the barn for $12.72. Even dress pants for 21ds at Walmart would have been that much.

Way to go! I love thrift finds, too...my weakness is books...

Books at this store are 10 cents each except for bigger, newer hardcover which are priced at 25 cents each.

Right now they are having 1/2 off men's clothing so all men's clothes (except winter coats which are $3-5) are 50 cents each.

My 13dd got her Christmas outfit there for $2 total and my 14dd got a holiday sweater for 50 cents (holiday wear is 1/2 off as well).

Thrift stores can be very hit or miss and do take a bit of time to look through the stuff but you can really save some money.

:iagree:Thrift stores are great. I took my 16yo daughter shopping for a dress for the Christmas Ball. We found a very nice one for $16.50 and I found a beautiful dress for myself for $10.00!!! My husband loves it when we find what we need at a thrift store. In the past we have found jeans, suits, exercise equipment, etc. for great prices.

Way to go! I love thrift finds, too...my weakness is books...

There's a thrift store about 40 miles from us that has a separate bookstore & coffee shop -- just like Barnes & Noble, except the books are used & the coffee is even better (and cheaper)! The clothing & household items are right next door, but lots of times, we just go to the coffee shop and browse through the books & sip lattes. Mmmm!!!

We hit Goodwill last week and for $20 we bought 3 pairs of good brand name women's jeans and 2 GAP khaki skirts for dds. I also bought dh some Banana Republic and Land's End dress shirts for $3.50 each a few weeks ago and a pair of ski pants for ds for $4. They aren't the cheapest place around, but they are huge, clean, and everything is well-organize. We were there for about 20 minutes each time.

Ok, here's a question for you....I've recently discovered the benefit/thrill of thrifting. Since I am in need of a new coat, I stopped in Goodwill the other day while I had a precious few minutes. The sign above the coats was "price as marked," and then they all were marked with tags reading between $20 - $55!!!! I was shocked! I was eyeing a brand new one on the Land's End website and it was on sale on the site for $42.50. HOW CAN IT BE CHEAPER TO BUY SPANKIN NEW IT AT LAND's END THAN AT GOODWILL???? I am dumbfounded! I have purchased skirts and kids' clothes at that same store for good prices $2/$3/$4, so it's not like the whole place is overpriced....why so much for the coats? Goodness! :rant:

Sorry. This has been bothering me, as you can see. :lol:

Ok, here's a question for you....I've recently discovered the benefit/thrill of thrifting. Since I am in need of a new coat, I stopped in Goodwill the other day while I had a precious few minutes. The sign above the coats was "price as marked," and then they all were marked with tags reading between $20 - $55!!!! I was shocked! I was eyeing a brand new one on the Land's End website and it was on sale on the site for $42.50. HOW CAN IT BE CHEAPER TO BUY SPANKIN NEW IT AT LAND's END THAN AT GOODWILL???? I am dumbfounded! I have purchased skirts and kids' clothes at that same store for good prices $2/$3/$4, so it's not like the whole place is overpriced....why so much for the coats? Goodness! :rant:

Sorry. This has been bothering me, as you can see. :lol:

I think Goodwill has a power trip or something going on. I prefer independent little thrift stores for the best deals. I do like Savers however.