Menu

What to read when you sit in the children's hospital waiting

to see how your 12 yos will recover from a catastrophic farm vehicle accident.

I have a dear, dear friend that could use a good book to read while she waits and waits. Her ds was in a rollover accident and has a very badly mangled leg. He will be in the hospital for a minimum of 3 weeks.

She is a Christian. She has a wonderful sense of humor. I would love to give her an inspirational or humorous book to tuck in with some of the goodies I will be sending.

Thanks

to see how your 12 yos will recover from a catastrophic farm vehicle accident.

I have a dear, dear friend that could use a good book to read while she waits and waits. Her ds was in a rollover accident and has a very badly mangled leg. He will be in the hospital for a minimum of 3 weeks.

She is a Christian. She has a wonderful sense of humor. I would love to give her an inspirational or humorous book to tuck in with some of the goodies I will be sending.

Thanks

The Blue Castle by Montgomery (of Anne of Green Gables fame)

Honestly, if I was in that position I would not want a long involved book. I don't think I could focus on something that took a lot of thought while in a waiting room. I would want short stories. Chicken soup for the soul books come to mind. Also, God's little devotion book for moms ( http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Little-Devotional-Book-Books/dp/1562920979/ref=pd_sim_b_4 ). It's one of my favorites. I would also want something to do with my hands, I would knit and would love yarn. Does she do any crafting that you could get her to do there? I know when ds has been in the hospital there has been a lot of different people to talk to (other parents) but I still need to keep my hands busy.

HTH

Melissa

...or some other handwork in a simple kit, like needlepoint or stamped crosstitch. Something that doesn't require a lot of thought but also occupies the hands, but can be easily tucked into a purse or little bag.

For reading, there are some great Christian books about suffering. One is "The Problem of Pain" by C. S. Lewis. Another is "Affliction" by Edith Schaeffer. They both have the advantage that they are hardwon truths drawn from the Bible and from actual experience rather than just theory. They are also tremendously true, compassionate, and well-written.

I personally like to look at cookbooks when I am either relaxed or very stressed. A good cookbook and a shopping list pad might give her something to do in short bursts and help her feel productive and distracted.

Anything by Barbara Johnson

Yes!! And, I just saw one of her books at the Goodwill yesterday! They are kinda like Chicken Soup for the Soul.... (Right lady, right??) and have inspirational things about life... and she hasn't had a perfect one, poor lady!

PS... Go by the GoodWill... if you want a sack of books cheap!

Carrie

l or humorous book

The Egg and I is about farming in the 30's and is very, very funny. She wrote the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books, but this is a memoir.

It is full of stories of pressure cookers blowing up, bulls getting out and being driven off with peppershot, hunting geoducks, and moody woodstoves.

I like to do puzzle books. I find that I can only concentrate for short bursts of time. My current favorite is KenKen -- it's like Sudoku but with math added in. I also like Dell's Math and Logic Puzzles magazine -- it has a variety of puzzles. When ds had a surgery several weeks ago, I actually did an SAT math practice test.

If I were going to read, it would be something that has short sections -- Reader's Digest magazine, a book of short stories, or something like the Mitford series that is broken down into short bits.