Menu

Kids' Bible

Aubrey

I know I've seen these questions before, but ds7 is ready for a new Bible, & I'm overwhelmed by the choices!

He needs a real one now, not just the story-a-page kind. We'd like to get him a decent translation that's easy to read. I looked at an ICB at 1/2 price the other day, and...there was a lot to like about it, but there were also some translation problems that really bothered me.

For ex, in Romans it talks about Christ "fulfilling" the law--this version says he "ended" it. Maybe it's a minor quibble for a 7yo, & I'm willing to deal w/ it, but I thought I'd ask you all first & make sure there wasn't something better avail.

TIA!

Well, we just got one by Tommy Nelson publishers called "The illustrated ICB bible"

IT is so great for my ds6! Unfortunately it is just the New testament, but it is the complete bible text even verse numbers. Here is the cool part that makes it easy to read: it looks like a comic strip! It shows the people and has the "bubbles" over there head like they are talking. Dd had a great time reading from it today because we got to visualize the parable while reading with the pictures.

I really like it! And the translation is so easy to understand.

here is the link with reviews and a peak inside! THey are coming out with the OT soon, I believe

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=308313&netp_id=458270&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=details

My son got the Kids Adventure Bible, Early Reader edition and really enjoys it. He is 6 and likes being able to read a 'real' bible and not just stories.

This was my sons first "real" bible when he was 7! It was an Easter gift as a matter of fact.... he loved it.... he is 18 now... and I still have it... he wrote in it a lot trying to take notes and highlighted scripture.... its a keeper... I'll send it to him when hes 30!:)

The original Living Bible was a paraphrase done by Ken Taylor. However, he was always convicted internally that his paraphrase was not an accurate translation. Accordingly he commissioned a team of scholars to work on a valid, modern-language translation. Thus the NLT was born after many, many years of hard work.

I know this because I worked at Tyndale House at the time the NLT was published, and I heard the story straight from Dr. Taylor, for whom I have an enormous amount of respect.

All of that to say that the NLT is both very easy to read, and it's a valid translation. My own two children have done really well with it. (Dd is 11 and ds is nearly 7yo.)

One more tip--get a large print version. It's much easier for smaller children to use.

The Early Readers Bible by Thomas Nelson is great. We bought a copy for ds7 when he was 6 years old and he loves it!

http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=0718013301

It retails for $19.99 but you can get it cheaper at Amazon and CBD.

I sure wish they'd give us excerpts. Sometimes I think they think we buy stuff based off the cover alone.:glare:

Thanks--I'll keep an eye out for a copy I can flip through.

ETA: Oh, I see it's NKJV. That's what I was wondering! LOL

That's what my dd has been using since she learned to read, and it's been great for her. It's the NIV taken down to a 3rd grade reading level. While I don't normally read the NIV, preferring NASB, I think it's more important that she be reading with understanding. I'll probably get her a regular version (NASB) for her birthday this year. NASB is written on like a 9th grade reading level, so that's going to be a big jump!

I have 2 votes: I agree with strider about the NLT. This version is much more accurate and still easy to read (of course I admit my bias, since I have ties to a few of the authors LOL). And I like the Children's ESV. It is the actual "grown-up" ESV but in larger print and with lots of pictures. It is recommended for ages 6-12.

The ESV Children's Bible is beautiful. It is has full color realistic pages, a large type font, and it is just the regular, real ESV text. it's bound in a beautiful, sturdy hardback red BIble and looks masculine enough for a boy.

My son just adopted his off the shelf and he is really excited. He can't really read it yet, but he thinks it's so grown up but still with that kid feel you don't have in the black leather versions.

When DD turned 6, I gave her an NIV Bible. It was from Concordia, and it was the giant print version. I gifted it on Reformation Day, and said that this was because now she can read it herself!

Now, the vocabulary and reading level in that Bible are pretty high, but I was able to point her to specific passages that were easy or familiar enough for her to read them herself. The big advantage was that this was the version that our pastor used in church, and the same one that I read to her from at home. So she felt really grown up when she read it, and her reading reinforced the rest of the reading that she heard.

I really think that children can hear the original, adult level Bible and get a lot out of thoughtfully chosen passages.