Menu

If you could choose one book for a begining reader

Which book would it be?

My dd7 is reading on what I guess is considered a 1st grade level. She is reading the pathway readers and they are really getting her reading better. However, I am looking around for other books and wondering how do I choose?

So, are there any books out there that made your beginning readers really skyrocket to wanting to read? (she says as she has fingers crossed that the answer will be yes;))

TIA

jenny

Frog and Toad and Amelia Bedelia books--they are so engaging and funny!

Green Eggs and Ham was also a hit.

The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins was great, but slightly harder.

After that stage we transitioned to the MTH books for confidence, and DD just took off from there.

I had to promise her that I would always read to her even if she learned to read herself, so I still do (she is 11 1/2).

Is there a reason you need just one?

No, but dd thinks of reading as a chore right now, is not very confident and still struggling to sound out quite a few words. I would really like to get her a wonderful book that she really wants to read. I have seen, and we own a whole slew of early readers, but most are plain boring. There seems to be so much drivel out there it is hard to sort through it to find a few gems.

I had never heard of Henry and Mudge and had only heard the name of Amelia Bedelia. So far, that is where I will start. Thank you all, so very much. I just know with the right book or books she will just take off! I can just sense that we are SO close!

thanks again,

jenny

She enjoyed Frog and Toad and Little Bear books, but her favorite series was about a little pig named Amanda. There are probably 10 to 12 titles in the series and the author is Jean Van Leeuwen. She also loved the Poppleton series by Cynthia Rylant. And there were a couple of delightful books about a bear family entitled One Saturday Morning and One Saturday Afternoon by Barbara Baker. They were really favorites of ours.

Agreeing with PPs on Amelia Bedelia, Frog and Toad, Henry and Mudge, etc. My ds also loves the Frances books - Bread and Jam for Frances, A Birthday for Frances, etc. Some other favorites are Caps for Sale, Curious George, Madeline, Nate the Great books, Billy and Blaze books, Where the Wild Things Are, Harry the Dirty Dog, Make Way for Ducklings.

After much searching my reluctant reader (9) is really enjoying 'The Primer' by Yesterday's Classics. It's got fun stories in it like The Little Red Hen and The Gingerbread Boy, etc.

He's also enjoyed:

Little Bear

Frog and Toad

But The Primer is the first thing he's actually SAID that he likes!

"Annie and Snowball" series...

Cynthia Rylant, who writes the "Henry and Mudge" series, has recently spun off a series about Henry's cousin Annie. You might try those as well. My son likes them okay since he knows who Annie is from the Henry books but they are definitely more "girl".

"Annie and Snowball and the Prettiest House"

"Annie and Snowball and the Dress-Up Birthday"

Those two for sure are out as our library has them both.

Which book would it be?

My dd7 is reading on what I guess is considered a 1st grade level. She is reading the pathway readers and they are really getting her reading better. However, I am looking around for other books and wondering how do I choose?

So, are there any books out there that made your beginning readers really skyrocket to wanting to read? (she says as she has fingers crossed that the answer will be yes;))

TIA

jenny

My ds learned to read primarily by me and later him reading Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad Treasury. So that's my recommendation. We love the Frog and Toad books!!