Menu

Another puppy crate training question- do you correct him for whining in crate?

fj62

Picked up sweet puppy from airport this afternoon. He has not had an accident in the house. He even went right into his crate to nap for a short time this evening. But we just took him out and he did both #1 and #2 and now he is in the crate whining. Do we correct this? If so, how?

Are you settling down for the night? Why didn't you just leave her out of the crate? How long are you keeping the pup in the crate/24h? Did you play with the puppy? Hold her, pet her, let her run around?

Here's a good rule of thumb chart for crating.

Age of Puppy Maximum Time in Crate

8 weeks 30 minutes

3 months 1-2 hours

4 months 4 hours

5 months 5 hours

6 months 6 hours

1 year 8-9 hours

Here's a good article on crate training: http://www.hollysden.com/crate_training1.htm

I personally do not use crates a lot, not in the house anyway. I have them, & I train dogs to use them in the car. I play targetting games with crates & my female will run into a crate from a distance & lie down inside. It's just a game.

Crates are a good tool but I don't think they're absolutely necessary. Some people find that it helps them with toilet training but generations of dogs have been toilet trained without them.....

Anyway. As to the official answer for whining - you should ignore it. When puppy is quiet, praise & open the door. Make going into the crate part of a game. Make sure there are some rewards/quiet toys inside.

The whining inside a crate issue for puppies is my biggest objection to it actually. I can easily train an older dog to accept, like or even love a crate but puppies are programmed to want to be with their pack. I think that crating can interfere with that pack instinct. That's my .02 on it. :001_smile:

Edited by hornblower
fix chart layout

If you know he's not hungry/thirsty, or has to go potty, then you need to ignore him, IF you want him to sleep in his crate at night.

He's a baby. It's his first night away from siblings, and Mommy. He's scared, nervous, doesn't know what to expect. He will cry every night for the first week, most likely.

If you intend on him sleeping in his crate at night, then you need to ignore it. Just as with your own children, do not respond to his tantrum with positive reinforcement, by telling him "If you whine loud/long enough, you can come out of the crate." We actually put a old blanket over the crate at night, as kind of a signal of "time to go to bed". You can also put a old shirt with your smell in his crate to keep him happy.

The first week will be horrible for your own sleeping, as he will probably cry several times thoughout the night, in the wee hours. But push through it, and he will get over it in about a week.

The other option is to take him out and let him sleep with you, if you intend for him to sleep with you long term. But you run the risk of him going potty while you sleep.

I have heard of putting the crate in your bedroom at night so he doesn't feel so lonely. That didn't work for us, still cried and we got NO sleep.

hth

K

We sleep with our pup (actually dog) in our room, as long as he's not having an "itchy attack" :-) Course, I believe in co-sleeping.... it could be in a kids room... yours... and I don't think there's any problem... except if it's a seriously alpha breed... and then you have to ask someone else... Ours is a love:-)

Carrie

If you know he's not hungry/thirsty, or has to go potty, then you need to ignore him, IF you want him to sleep in his crate at night.

He's a baby. It's his first night away from siblings, and Mommy. He's scared, nervous, doesn't know what to expect. He will cry every night for the first week, most likely.

If you intend on him sleeping in his crate at night, then you need to ignore it. Just as with your own children, do not respond to his tantrum with positive reinforcement, by telling him "If you whine loud/long enough, you can come out of the crate." We actually put a old blanket over the crate at night, as kind of a signal of "time to go to bed". You can also put a old shirt with your smell in his crate to keep him happy.

The first week will be horrible for your own sleeping, as he will probably cry several times thoughout the night, in the wee hours. But push through it, and he will get over it in about a week.

The other option is to take him out and let him sleep with you, if you intend for him to sleep with you long term. But you run the risk of him going potty while you sleep.

I have heard of putting the crate in your bedroom at night so he doesn't feel so lonely. That didn't work for us, still cried and we got NO sleep.

hth

K

:iagree:

We also have a ticking alarm clock/radio that we put near the pups crate. Pups like to have a little noise.....

My dogs sleep on the floor in our bedrooms but they have the run of the house. They're welcome on the kids' beds & they're actually welcome on our bed but only when just one adult is there; when both of us are there, there is simply NO room.

I did co-sleep with my babies too. :001_smile:

I don't think dogs are like people at all but I think you need to build relationship before all else. Puppies are lonely. I didn't leave babies to cry it out; I don't think puppies need to cry it out either, esp if they're very young & just removed from mama.

Edited by hornblower

The whining inside a crate issue for puppies is my biggest objection to it actually. I can easily train an older dog to accept, like or even love a crate but puppies are programmed to want to be with their pack. I think that crating can interfere with that pack instinct. That's my .02 on it. :001_smile:

:iagree:

We've had much more success and much less trauma for everyone when we hold off on crate training. It's important to let the puppy bond to the pack first. The older dogs just think it's a fun game because they get special toys and treats in there, and the crate is always around, usually with the door open so they can seek a respite there on their own. All three of our dogs are fine in a crate if we need to use them, even for the whole day if necessary.

Sandy