Menu

vegans/vegetarians, what's on your thanksgiving menu?

looking for ideas and just curious about what others are making.:001_smile:

feel free to share recipes.

do you also serve a turkey or other animal foods for non-veg guests?

what's your ethical take on the need --or lack of need-- to provide certain foods for certain guests?

:bigear: & :lurk5: (in honor of charlie brown's thanksgiving menu;))

Guest Cindie2dds

Well, we are actually going to a friend's house for Thanksgiving. I'm going to bring my own vegan sweet potatoes, homemade bread and a salad so I can eat without making a fuss about it. The rest of my family, well, they love to kill and grill; so I just let them. If it were at my house, I would ask my friends to bring their favorite dish, and dh would cook the meat... like most men. ;)

I'm a mostly-vegetarian (I eat fish about 1x/month), vegan wanna-be (I just can't give up the gouda!)! How's that? Do I qualify?

We're going to my mom's and dad's. I'm going to eat all the sides. My mom knows of the way I eat and uses vegetarian broth. So, I can eat the potatoes, bread, salad, veggies, and stuffing. Yummy!!!

My son's fiance is vegetarian. She is bringing her favorite veggie casserole.

I am making her a sausage free dressing, with vegetarian chicken flavored broth. I also have some vegetarian gravy mix, if she wants it.

She can eat the other sides as well, bread, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes..so she will be fine. Really, it's not a hard meal to come up with vegetarian food because of all the sides. She is not Vegan, so that helps!

I did a vegetarian T'giving for about 15 years. I tried vegan a couple times, but nothing beats butter or cream at t'giving. lol I also had friends who were opposed to things like tofurky or anything that tried to seem like meat. No seitan, even, and I love seitan.

For those years, dh and I made a huge salad, a hearty fall soup, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, baked acorn squash, some kind of brown rice based something, cranberries, pumpkin pie, ice cream with chocolate sauce, pecan pie, and lots of cream, fake and real. Nothing beats like whipping cream, let me tell you. lol

I don't cook meat for guests. When invited elsewhere I bring a couple veg side dishes to share and I don't expect special treatment.

One year, our hostess took it upon herself to make Tofurkey. It was very, very kind of her but it tasted awful.

One of our favorite things to make on Thanksgiving is falafel, tabouli, hummus and homemade cranberry salad.

I'm a "flexitarian" but just wanted to say that the current issue of Vegetarian Times has lots of Thanksgiving recipes & an article on dealing with non-vegetarian relatives. Definitely worth checking out!

In years when I've had lacto-ovo vegetarian guests, I've made a garden lasagna as a 2nd entree. I imagine that could be made vegan by using soy cheese.

When we go to my moms for Thanksgiving we bring a vegan turkey, mashed potatoes, and a vegan pie, my mom will make a few things that we can eat. This year we're eating at home, and have invited my in-laws, and my girlfriend who is mostly raw. We don't serve meat in our home so I'm sure my fil will want to go to his sisters instead. My girlfriend will come and take 3 bites and say "oh my gosh I am sooo full, how do you eat like this everyday?" :001_huh:

So far here is what I'm planning to cook:

vegan turkey, (not tofury) I get it at a vietnamese market, and it is yummy!

plain ol mashed potatoes and gravy

string bean casserole

cranberries fresh and canned

stuffing

pecan pie

pumpkin pie

honestly, by the end of the night we'll probably be eating tamales and beans

:D

Guest Cindie2dds

In years when I've had lacto-ovo vegetarian guests, I've made a garden lasagna as a 2nd entree. I imagine that could be made vegan by using soy cheese.

It depends how strict of a Vegan they are. Most "soy" cheese out there is still made with milk protein... go figure. :glare: If there is an allergy involved, you might want to check the ingredients on the label.

We will be having stuffed squash, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie! All made 100% vegan!

o you also serve a turkey or other animal foods for non-veg guests?

what's your ethical take on the need --or lack of need-- to provide certain foods for certain guests?

Absolutely not! I'm not going to serve slaughtered animals just because someone else happens to have a taste for them!

Tara

This is not an answer to your question, but it is so funny, I had to share. My dd is going to her in-laws for Thanksgiving.

FIL and 1 BIL are lactose intolerant - no dairy

1 BIL is vegetarian - no meat

SIL has Crohn's - light on the fiber

MIL has Celiac - no gluten

DD is allergic to citric acid (it's in everything) - no citrus

I have no clue what their menu will consist of, but DD is dreading it!

Susie in SWVA

I've been following a mostly vegan diet (I am not vegan.) since about June. I like that term "flexitarian". :D That's me!

I intend to make a big salad, Red Bean and Sweet Potato Curry (From Vegan Planet), steamed whole green beans and baked potatoes. Oh, and this recipe for dessert: Pumpkin Pie Bites

The rest of the menu will consist of (real) turkey and the usual sides of mashed potatoes and stuffing.

Edited by darlasowders
punctuation

Guest Cindie2dds
This is not an answer to your question, but it is so funny, I had to share. My dd is going to her in-laws for Thanksgiving.

FIL and 1 BIL are lactose intolerant - no dairy

1 BIL is vegetarian - no meat

SIL has Crohn's - light on the fiber

MIL has Celiac - no gluten

DD is allergic to citric acid (it's in everything) - no citrus

I have no clue what their menu will consist of, but DD is dreading it!

Susie in SWVA

:lol: I can SO relate!

I'm Vegan (absolutely no meat, no dairy)

My Dad (Vegetarian ~ mostly vegan)

My Stepmom (no dairy, no wheat, no soy, no corn, or mushrooms)

My half-sister (absolutely nothing that has fruit or veggies) :glare:

My girls (vegetarians for the most part ~ because of me ~ except youngest dd who is allergic to berries and dairy)

My DH (anything as long as it's not moving)

We usually go out to eat or fix three different meals!