Menu

Playmobil - where to buy for best price?

Can I hijack and ask if most of you stick with sets or just get what grabs your kids fancy right now? My son is 5 and just getting into Playmobil, and his sister is even playing with him (she's 9). We have a Fisher Price Pirate Ship that he uses some small Playmobil pirate stuff with, but I don't think I want to continue to buy pirate stuff. But the castles and knights! Oh, I love those! Then he saw the Egyptians. Then we saw the Roman legions.

These things are just so expensive! What sets have your kids loved the most?

DS loves his knights set. I managed to find the rock castle for $10 at a consignment sale. It was missing the knights, but had a bunch of those already. He plays with it all the time. He also loves his pirates, police, and is asking for all the ocean expedition stuff for Christmas. He's already declared next Christmas will be for the Egyptians. :)

Can I hijack and ask if most of you stick with sets or just get what grabs your kids fancy right now? My son is 5 and just getting into Playmobil, and his sister is even playing with him (she's 9). We have a Fisher Price Pirate Ship that he uses some small Playmobil pirate stuff with, but I don't think I want to continue to buy pirate stuff. But the castles and knights! Oh, I love those! Then he saw the Egyptians. Then we saw the Roman legions.

These things are just so expensive! What sets have your kids loved the most?

My oldest son got the romans the holidays after we studied them and to this day he, my dd and youngest boy will pull it out and have gladiator battles in the coliseum. The Eqyptians are on his wishlist for this year and I can't blame him Playmobil is great stuff. My dd loves the horse farm items and my youngest has all the dinosaurs. Although they will merge the zoo, safari tent, horse farm etc. and make a giant "nature preserve" that takes up the entire family room. They've even used the coliseum in this set up and say it's the quarantine area for new arrivals. :)

It's about the only thing my kids really play with, along with Legos. So while it is expensive, I like buying it knowing that most of it's made in Europe and it actually gets played with. We've slowly collected a lot between birthdays and Christmases, because it's always on their lists.

The most played with here are the Roman set, viking stuff, and the castle and knights. The princess castle (it's dd's) also gets played with a lot because they set it up with the other castle. We also have the zoo, hospital, vet, and airport that gets use but not as much as the other sets. My kids mix it all up though, they don't really keep the sets together and separated. Sometimes there will be airplane pilots and kids from the zoo at the Roman coliseum, and so on. They set various things up and imagine whole worlds and story lines and invent complex characters.

Thanks, ladies! We go in waves with Playmobil and my two littles have been blending it with other things they have - wooden fairy house, moon sand, Schleich animals, MUS blocks, Legos - they all work together well. :D The little animals have always been a big hit with my family. My son loved the knights and vikings.

Toys R Us has all their Playmobil stuff 20% off right now. I just bought the pyramid for $83 today at the store. If I had ordered it from the website, it would have been $90something with shipping, but still cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else.

Thanks for posting this, my dh went out last night just as they were closing to pick one up. The employees had to search the store even after closing to find it for him! We're going to hold onto until we study Eygypt, which might be sooner than planned since ds1 has been really interested in pyramids and mummies lately.

I go to the official playmobil website (playmobil.com), but that's because we don't buy "sets" so much anymore. I realized my guys only play with the people and none of the accessories that come with them, except for the parts that are part of their costume (swords, shields and...well, that's it.)

Some sets come with little boxes with gold in it (pirates) or with sets of keys and plates and bowls, but the kids ignore that sort of stuff. On the website is where I can just buy a lot of the people separately without the extra "stuff."