Menu

Need advice from chicken/rooster owners...

We have a gorgeous Lakenfelder Rooster who is a great "keeper" over our 25 Buff Orpington hens. However, he is very aggressive and will flog ANYONE at a moment's notice. We have tried kicking him when he does it (I know, sounds cruel, but come on...it HURTS!) I have even yelled at him out of sheer disgust. Of course, these things are not working. LOL I was really okay with it (he is a 15 oz chicken for Goodness sakes), but last night, I was wearing thin workout pants and flip flops when I went out to feed the chickens and Charlie flogged me. This time, he brough BLOOD and I have a big bruise across my leg where he got me. Obviously, I thank God it was ME and not my kids! Short of just selling him at auction to become someone's dinner, is there anything I can do to stop this behavior in him? He really is a good "watchdog" type chicken and he takes good care of our hens. He is vocal and issues warnings that makes them all come running when there is danger. I hate to lose that, but I am not going to allow him to flog my kids (or anyone else) especially now that he is bringing blood. Any help is much appreciated!

I am glad to see I am not the only one who has a mean rooster. My hens are sooooo sweet, it makes him look possessed!

I was reading online that you are supposed to hit them - repeatedly when they flog you - to the point where you are then pursuing them. When they put their wing over their head, you can stop. Man, that seems rough!

However, I went out to the coop a few minutes ago with my leather boots on and a ADT security sign in my hand (looks like a stop sign only smaller and the sign is plastic with a steel stick). Charlie saw me, but he apparently was smart enough to know that with me dressed like that and holding an object, this would NOT end well for him. He sat and pecked his straw and crowed. I wasn't going to attack HIM, so I left. Man I really dislike that rooster!

We have 2 - our gigantic Buff is the dominant one who was very aggressive, and a New Hampshire who is a teeny bit aggressive. We had third who was totally passive but he was a breed I do not care for so we gave him away.

Our solutions - always have a weapon, never turn your back and if he attacks, whack him, but not too hard, then chase him, screaming and yelling with said weapon, (usually a rake). He learned after a week or two and almost never tries anything anymore. Kicking at him always made him madder (he hates crocs now, lol).

The younger rooster postures at us but if you act like you're going to pick him up or ruffle his tail feathers he takes off.:glare:

We need a fierce rooster. We have a lot of hawks, etc. and he is always alert and always the first line of defense if something gets into the fenced areas. As a bonus, he alerts better than my dog for the approach of the UPS truck. ;)

hth,

Georgia

Our one and only rooster turned on us overnight, it seemed. He had been such a pet before that.

He would never attack my husband, but dd and I were targets everytime we went outside. It was impossible to get near any of his girls, including watering and feeding, and I never did figure out why he thought we were a threat. We picked up his girls, sure, but so did my husband. He was a little bantam, too, and could fly well with spurs aimed for our faces. My husband kept telling us to not back down, but he was getting scary! We tried and tried to get the upper hand on him, but never did. (Until his last day.)

No advice, other than we noticed the attacks on dd were the worst when she was wearing her white athletic pants that were flapping in the breeze. That made a little sense to us, so those pants didn't go outside for awhile.

I'll try another rooster someday, but not yet. I like my calm girls.

Edited by BridgeTea

No ideas here either. Our rooster just turned mean the other day; he attacked my friend's little girl. Once I get around to telling my hubby what happened, the rooster will die. Even if you are successful at hitting him so he knows not to attack you anymore, he'll still see that your kids are vulnerable and probably attack them. I like my rooster too and I hate to see him go, but it's just not worth the damage he may do to one of my kids. I'm sure Rooster Heaven is a nice place to be too, though.:001_smile:

We have a young Barred Rock Cross and he just starting being aggressive this past week.

He actually chased my son around the house!!:glare: I've since explained that running will only make it worse the next time...

Since then, we've decided to carry a walking stick with us when we go out to the coop. I read somewhere that you need to show them that you're the boss -- get the upper hand on them, if you will. (kind of like establishing dominance with a dog, etc.)

Once you've done that, you should be all set...

I haven't had one attack me. What I know you can do is take a pair of pliers and pop off the spur nail. You give it a pull and a twist. It will be red and sore for a day or so for him, but he won't be able to flog you with those spurs. They grow back, just like nails, so you have to keep watching for it every few months. In my flock, *I* am the lead rooster, and if any other roo becomes a bit uppity, then they get picked up and carried around at my convenience, because *I* am in charge. If they are especially bratty, they may be carried upside down until they feel a bit more compliant. Of course, a good rooster is a dime a dozen. If they aren't wining and dining the girls, as well as protecting them, plus respecting my authority, they can be replaced.

Thank you all for your experiences. I would love to have a buff orpington roo, but now I am kind of scared to even bother with them. Charlie turned on us fast too - he was my BABY when he was little. He would fall asleep in my hands. :(

It is sad isn't it? Our Buff, Zeus was hand raised. He was totally a cute fluff of feathers that loved to be held.

I will say though that he "attacks" only by hitting your leg with his chest and pecking/biting our legs and feet. He never spurs us or tries for the face. If picked up he is docile as anything. He does not attack the other rooster, though he will chase him away from the hens. He is the BEST father. But it almost seems inevitable.

Sigh... I feel your pain. :sad:

Georgia

I haven't had one attack me. What I know you can do is take a pair of pliers and pop off the spur nail. You give it a pull and a twist. It will be red and sore for a day or so for him, but he won't be able to flog you with those spurs. They grow back, just like nails, so you have to keep watching for it every few months. In my flock, *I* am the lead rooster, and if any other roo becomes a bit uppity, then they get picked up and carried around at my convenience, because *I* am in charge. If they are especially bratty, they may be carried upside down until they feel a bit more compliant. Of course, a good rooster is a dime a dozen. If they aren't wining and dining the girls, as well as protecting them, plus respecting my authority, they can be replaced.

This gives me mental images that are making me giggle. :tongue_smilie:

My son - the chicken expert- says you need to establish that you are the top rooster. This means you kick him but then you do NOT run away, you walk toward him and flap your arms and make a lot of noise. When the rooster retreats you have won - this time anyway. Do it until he is scared when he sees you coming.

Sounds bad but is often the only way to leave the chicken coop unaccosted by the poultry. Our first rooster flew at me and got me through my Jeans. That section of my leg was blue the next day. I was avoiding him after that until my son challenged him and pretended to fly at him and for the first time I saw that old boy waddle backwards. Sounds weird, sounds funny, your neighbors may laugh if they see you... but it WORKS.

:)