Menu

Guerber's Story of the Ancient World-looks like almost all Bible-am I wrong?

HappyGrace

I understand that it's VERY well-done, but from the Table of Contents, it just looks like all Bible stories, except for about 7 or 9 chapters woven in of other history.

What would be the advantage of using this over just reading the actual Biblical accounts? Or reading another "condensed" Bible account book like the DK Illustrated Family Bible, which is what I planned to use next yr with Ancients:

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Family-Bible-Claude-Bernard-Costecalde/dp/0789415038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256957060&sr=8-1

It does tie in some of what else is going on historically but ONLY as it pertains directly to Bible History. My daughter is reading this and also reading her Bible and it does seem like a ton of cross-over. For example in the account of Abraham chasing after captured Lot and his battle with the four kings , we discover who the kings actually were and how they tie in previously with what we learn about the Cu****es. Extra-biblical information but definitely not ancient history in it's entire scope. The previous title to the book was actually, The Story of the Chosen People and that's what it is.

I wish there was more of what was going on in other areas of the world at the time but we absolutely LOVE how the book reads. I'm supplementing with Kingfisher.

It does tie in some of what else is going on historically but ONLY as it pertains directly to Bible History. My daughter is reading this and also reading her Bible and it does seem like a ton of cross-over. For example in the account of Abraham chasing after captured Lot and his battle with the four kings , we discover who the kings actually were and how they tie in previously with what we learn about the Cu****es. Extra-biblical information but definitely not ancient history in it's entire scope. The previous title to the book was actually, The Story of the Chosen People and that's what it is.

I wish there was more of what was going on in other areas of the world at the time but we absolutely LOVE how the book reads. I'm supplementing with Kingfisher.

Cush ites LOL!

My 11 year old is using a combination of things from SOTW, KF, Guerber, Childs History of the World and 100 Most Important Events in Christian History. I know probably too much, but we work out of a couple every week. I really like them. The Guerber books are quiet now. Apparently they had their own Dark Ages from the fall of Rome to about 1000 AD. :D

I was actually thinking about using the DK Bible instead of the Guerber, since I already have it and younger ds could also listen in. We'll also be using Victor Journey Through the Bible and possibly listening to SOTW 1 on CD, so I think we'll be ok w/out the Guerber. I can always hand it to her a couple years later during, say, 7th grade as an Old Testament refresher during Early Modern times. Thanks!

If you are looking for something like Guerber but that isn't as singularly focused, you might want to look at Dorothy Mills' "Book of the Ancient World." It is mostly ancient history with some Bible history included. She has a separate book just on the ancient Hebrews, so they are not the main focus of this book. We are using it this year, and it has been a favorite for me and my 10 yo DD. She also has books on the Greeks, Romans, Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Edited by Asenik

If you are looking for something like Guerber but that isn't as singularly focused, you might want to look at Dorothy Mills' "Book of the Ancient World." It is mostly ancient history with some Bible history included. She has a separate book just on the ancient Hebrews, so they are not the main focus of this book. We are using it this year, and it has been a favorite for me and my 10 yo DD. She has has books on the Greeks, Romans, Middle Ages and Renaissance.
I will be checking that one out as an add on for 6th grade. Thanks for mentioning it.

Amazon.com now sells them. They were OOP for a long time.

Here is a link to see inside the Roman book:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Ancient-Romans-Dorothy-Mills/dp/1110282958/ref=pd_sim_b_7#noop

I will see if I can find a link to the Book of the Ancient World. It covers Egypt, the Assyrians and Babylonians, the Hittites, the Persians, and Phoenicians, as well as a chapter on the ancient Hebrews.

If you are looking for something like Guerber but that isn't as singularly focused, you might want to look at Dorothy Mills' "Book of the Ancient World."

Pardon, what years were these written? The was a posh novelist in the 1920's by that name. I wishwishwish Amazon would include original publication year.

Pardon, what years were these written? The was a posh novelist in the 1920's by that name. I wishwishwish Amazon would include original publication year.

I don't think they are the same person, but her books were all written in the 1920's and 30's. I have tried, with little luck, to find out more about her. All I know is that she was head of the History Department at the Brearley School.

I started picking up her books at library book sales when my oldest was just a toddler. I loved how narrative they were, and I just knew I would use them someday! And so far, I feel like they could be used by most anybody, secular or Christian, with little problem. I just got the Renaissance one and haven't read it yet though! So I guess I could change my mind on that one, but everything else I have seen and read is just wonderful. I think she is a Christian and probably Protestant, but it really does remind me of how Christine Miller or SWB writes history, with maybe even a little more secular approach. It isn't proselytizing at all, but I don't think the Book of the Ancient World would be offensive in any way to Christians.

ETA: If anyone has any more specific questions about the other books, let me know and I will try to answer them! I probably get too excited about these books, but I really love them and am always surprised that more people in the homeschool community don't know about them or use them. Oh, and I don't work for Amazon or the companies doing the reprints either! LOL! Although maybe I should ... ;)

Edited by Asenik

http://books.google.com/books?id=Pu8KYf3MSowC&pg=PR3&lpg=PR3&dq=dorothy+mills+brearley+school&source=bl&ots=ywZ_S4sPDT&sig=kyovxtCD8_pu9u_PoIiNhy56R18&hl=en&ei=-13sSun0IpCMMavbhIQM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

See if this link works. I just found the BAW on Google books. If the link won't work, you can just try searching for her on Google books and see if you can pull it up that way.

Originally Posted by Daisy View Post

Cush ites LOL!

Okay, I think admin went in and editied my post to Cu****es and I'm too ignorant/naive to even know why?? Someone pm me so I don't remain a moron.

I was disappointed in this one. I was using it for ds to practice reading aloud last year when we covered the ancients. But he would groan that we had already covered that ground so many other places so I dropped it.

I am a big fan of the Dorothy Mills books. I own the Greek, Roman ones and I just got the Middle Ages one for myself. I am not including it for ds 11 this year only because we have too many history resources already and I am trying to simplify history this year. They will be good for him to read on his own sometime later.

BTW, I think the Highlands Latin School uses the Greek and Roman vols by Dorothy Mills. I haven't looked recently so I don't know if that is still the case.

HTH

I understand that it's VERY well-done, but from the Table of Contents, it just looks like all Bible stories, except for about 7 or 9 chapters woven in of other history.

What would be the advantage of using this over just reading the actual Biblical accounts? Or reading another "condensed" Bible account book like the DK Illustrated Family Bible, which is what I planned to use next yr with Ancients:

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Family-Bible-Claude-Bernard-Costecalde/dp/0789415038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256957060&sr=8-1

I don't think they are the same person, but her books were all written in the 1920's and 30's. I have tried, with little luck, to find out more about her. All I know is that she was head of the History Department at the Brearley School.

;)

Not the same lady, who was a Brit, I believe, who tromped about Africa early in the last century. The biggest way to kill a google is to have some durned movie by the name of Dorothy Mills fill the airways.

Thanks. I enjoyed what I read of the Romans thus far on snippets of "surprise me" at Amazon.

Not having seen the DK book (or having seen it, maybe only briefly at a homeschool convention?), I have to say I'd do Guerber over DK. It's SO wonderful, and your younger could listen in just fine. It ties together the geography, the chronology/genealogies/history, motives, etc. SO well and from a perspective of BELIEF. I tell you I feel like I'm seeing things afresh. It's been very easy to come up with hands-on to go with each reading, and the lengths are just right.

I agree with OhElizabeth. The chapter lengths are perfect for young kids and I find the author includes info from the writings of Josephus and other sources to "round out" the stories. She makes all kinds of interesting connections between the different nations. It is mostly about the Israelites but personally I like that focus with just a gentle introduction to the other ancient civilizations.