Menu

Which would you use???

lovinmykids

What I'm using now, A Beka. It is colorful, it spirals but not too much (Saxon was too much of a spiral for us), and it is scripted which is important for me :D. As for cost, If you're struggling with how much it costs, you can get A Beka used for Cheap! Plus, they have Hotel Meetings where you can buy the workbooks and get free shipping.

HTH!

Dorinda

I would probably buy Singapore, MUS, Saxon and print out all the pages for MEP... oh and get all the manipulatives.

Then, I would do what I do now :p Hop around between them all, finding what ds needs and teach with whichever one teaches that particular thing in a way he understands best ;)

I would buy something like Knoble Knights of Knowledge as a jumping off point, then delve into Singapore math to learn the skills and Rod and Staff to work on problem areas.

Of course, I don't have Knoble Knights of Knowledge or any sort of "story" type of math program.

What I do use is Singapore to teach and Rod and Staff to review concepts. :001_smile:

I'm really, really happy with Horizons as our main program, and Singapore as a supplement (along with other supplementary materials). With money not being an issue, I'd still stick to Horizons (I don't use the TM, so it's cheap anyway) and Singapore, and I'd spend the extra money on various kinds of supplements: Zaccaro's Challenge Math; Right Start math card games; Muggins Math game; The Number Devil (book and computer game); Penrose the Mathematical Cat; and many other books, games, etc.

I would still keep what I am using, a combination of MUS and horizons with extra manips and games thrown in for good measure. I like tha MUS is mastery and focuses on one topic for the entire book, this really cements the facts into the kids heads. I like horizons because is constantly reviews, without getting tedious. It has bright colourful pages with many types of activities on each page, and the TM outlines how to utilize a lot of those manips I have filling my cupboards. Each program on it's own has it own strengths and weaknesses, but I think using them together really gives my kids a solid foundation in math skills.

Now if money were no object and we were talking gr 7+ I would hire a tutor.

It's funny how alot of people use a bunch of different math Curr.'s and throw them together to get exactly what they are looking for.

I feel like I use a ton.

BJU is my main but I use Saxon for the "meeting time", calculadder for speed drills, CLE flashcards for quickness and memory and Rod & Staff to re-enforce some things that they're not working on in BJU.

OY!! Sometimes I wish there was just one simple book to use and get rid of my pile that is litterly pileing up. :001_huh: So I guess she's not doing mastery is she, I guess I could say it's still spiral and she never complains!

Well, it's working for my child so I guess it's worth it.

Kristin

Just a fun one and I'm curious as well.

If Money wasn't an issue, which Math curriculum would you use for a 3rd or 4th grader? Why would you choose it and what did you like about it?

Kristin

I would choose Saxon all over again. I've used it from K - 8/7. I like how easy it is to teach and I feel comfortable that it covers everything we need......well, almost everything. I do add in word problems. :D