Menu

Disney Store Dress up clothes better than halloween costumes?

DD wants a Sleeping Beauty dress for Christmas. I can get one 11/1 at target for about $10. Or I can get one from the Disney Store tomorrow evening for about....$25. I'd gladly do that if it is truly made better than halloween costumes. Which really Don't hold up that well.

TIA!

BTW, as a previous poster said, my dd wore her Disney costumes for years. Some are still in her costume bin, and others have been handed down, still in excellent condition. We've had Target ones too, and the quality varied, but most didn't hold up as well as the Disney store ones.

I have been pretty pleased with the items I have bought at the Disney Store. They seem to understand that someone is actually going to play with or use the items! When I have looked for used costumes the Disney Store Princess costumes are noticeably nicer than the mass marketed princess items. Their fabrics are so much softer, and zippers are more sturdy too.

Yep, definitely agree, go with the Disney Store dress ups, they will last until she outgrows them, whereas the cheap Halloween costumes are only meant to last for a school party and Halloween night, and tend to hold to those standards, lol.

A hint though to make the price (even the after Halloween sale price) a little easier to swallow.....buy larger sized than what she wears now. When my daughter was 7 we bought a size 10/12 which was the largest they made at the time (now they have some dresses in 14/16). I didn't do it on purpose, it was the only size left in the style she wanted....so I figured, hey, it's dress up it's supposed to be too big. She wore that dress for 6 years....just this past spring she decided she couldn't fit it anymore (no wonder, she's almost outgrown size 14 in regular clothes now!) and passed it on to a friend's little sister who adores Belle like she does. The dress is in near perfect condition, despite having been worn for lots and lots of dress up play, halloween, a theatre production, and sometimes she'd just come downstairs in it, lol. My daughter loved it so much that she actually listened and obeyed when I told her if she wanted it to last to always hang it up not leave it on the floor....it's about the only thing she does hang up, lol.

I'm going to geek out about US customs for a minute, so feel free to skip if you wish. :)

The tariff rate (percentage of the value of the good you pay to the government) to import costumes is, in general, lower than everyday wear type of clothes. To prevent retailers from importing everything as a "costume" to save on customs costs, the products that they do import as costumes have to clearly be of a quality that would not stand up to regular wear. Importing Halloween costumes under the customs code for costumes saves retailers tons of money, so you can be pretty sure that the costumes you buy in the stores aren't created to hold up long term.