Menu

"Reading" vs reading

lionfamily1999

Luke "read" his first book today (Bob book, Mat). He sounded out every word (using the OPGtTR method of uncovering letters one at a time for him to sound them out). He even understood the story, possibly because of the pictures, but it sure seemed like he knew the words he sounded out. Some of the words he would say a second time... "/s/, /a/, /m/, Sam.'

What I'm wondering is, first is this really reading? He sounded it out, he understood it, but... it doesn't seem like reading to me :confused:

Also, is there a lightbulb that goes off once they realize they can read? He finished the story, flipped the book over and "read" the back cover, the same way he usually "reads" (which means making everything up as he moves his finger across the words).

Eventually, he will make the connection and start reading his books, instead of "reading" them, right?

It's reading, but it takes time. Using the analogy of a lightbulb, it's more like a flourescent light... it's on, but takes a while and then all the sudden it's light and you don't really realize when it got all the way on. My second son (5 yrs.) has really taken off with his reading, but I'm not exactly sure when it happened. He just keeps picking up speed and it's really exciting, but I'm not sure there was an exact moment when it just clicked. He just kept plugging along and getting better and better.

Eventually, he will make the connection and start reading his books, instead of "reading" them, right?

Yes! They will! Just keep doing what you're doing and they will make the connection. Honest.

You know they've hit that lightbulb moment when they start asking you to tell them what something 'really' says.

I don't know if you want any suggestions, but if you do, here a couple of things I've done to help this process:

1) During reading instruction time, words must be read as written. No substituting or deleting. I let him read it wrong and see if he self-corrects by the end of the sentence. If he does not, I reread the sentence up to the mistake and make him re-sound-out the word, helping him if needed.

2) I often read a sentence back, even if read totally correctly, to help my son construct meaning from what he just sounded out.

3) When he doesn't actually read what's there, and it can at all be turned into something funny, I make it funny. It makes for a nice lighthearted reinforcement of the idea that you have to read what is actually written.

In my experience, students continue to substitute and delete words well into second grade level reading.

Can you get a copy of How to Read a Book by Adler & Van Doren? They address this issue (on page 25 of my copy - purchased new within the past 5 years).

… something quite mysterious, almost magical, occurs during this stage [what the authors call the second stage of reading]. At one moment in the course of his development the child, when faced with a series of symbols on a page, find them quite meaningless. Not much later - perhaps only two or three weeks later - he has discovered meaning in them … . How this happens no one really knows. … this discovery of meaning in symbols may be the most astounding intellectual feat that any human being ever performs - and most humans perform it before they are seven years old!

I can actually remember when this happened to me. I picked up a book that had been read to me before - but that time I KNEW I was reading it MYSELF!

I can actually remember when this happened to me. I picked up a book that had been read to me before - but that time I KNEW I was reading it MYSELF!

I'll look for that at the library Friday. This is what concerns me, you hit it on the head :) He's sounding the words out, saying the words, understanding it, but it's as though he's missing the connection, if that makes sense. He's sounding out little words I write on the wipeoff board one letter at a time (mom, dad, cat, dog, for instance), and he knows what he's saying, but there doesn't seem to be any flash of 'I knew what those letters are saying!'

Merry :-)

Yes, he's still very little. I encourage, but I'm very good at worrying too :p

Yes! They will! Just keep doing what you're doing and they will make the connection. Honest.

You know they've hit that lightbulb moment when they start asking you to tell them what something 'really' says.

I don't know if you want any suggestions, but if you do, here a couple of things I've done to help this process:

1) During reading instruction time, words must be read as written. No substituting or deleting. I let him read it wrong and see if he self-corrects by the end of the sentence. If he does not, I reread the sentence up to the mistake and make him re-sound-out the word, helping him if needed.

2) I often read a sentence back, even if read totally correctly, to help my son construct meaning from what he just sounded out.

3) When he doesn't actually read what's there, and it can at all be turned into something funny, I make it funny. It makes for a nice lighthearted reinforcement of the idea that you have to read what is actually written.

In my experience, students continue to substitute and delete words well into second grade level reading.

For right now, we're still going a letter at a time. So, missing words is impossible. I will store away those recommendations for when he's at that point, though.

Eta, to say, thanks for heads up (in bold). I look forward to that :)

Eta (a second time), to say, I'm such a dunce! You mean that I should not allow him to "read" while we're reading. IOW, no flipping over the book and pretending? I like that idea, it would put a definitive line between reading and "reading." Thank you :)

Thanks for the optimism, everyone!

Edited by lionfamily1999

Yep. My dd started sounding out CVC words when she was just-turned 4, but she didn't really start reading until the tail end of 1st grade. By about March or April of this year, she was reading books for pleasure and taking books with her when she needed "something to do."

There was no lightbulb moment for her, she just gradually got better and better.

My ds is reading Frog and Toad books right now. It's slow going, but he understands what he reads. He's not yet to the point of reading for pleasure. I give him about 3-6 months before he's there. He can read, but he doesn't read, kwim?

Tara

In my experience, moms continue to substitute and delete words well into 30th grade level reading. ;)

Tara

:lol: no kidding :p

He's reading now, but what you're talking about is fluent reading, which can take a while. So when people ask me how old my kids were when they started reading I say that they started at x age and were reading fluently at y age.

Okay! I've been using quote fingers, iykwIm, to differentiate. Reading fluently sounds a little more adult ;) thanks!

I'm so glad you posted this! It's so encouraging to hear about another 3yo that's reading - Monkey is getting close, so close! I need to find our Bob Books so that we can use them when he gets there. Congratulations!! That's just wonderful that he's doing that already, regardless of how much work it still is!

:party::party: