Menu

Wheat/rice/corn bags for heating

I always use rice and it works well. To make, I pour rice in an old tube sock (without holes) and tie the end off. Done.

It started off for ear infections and little toddler socks were just the right size to hold up ext to little toddler ears. We use bigger socks now but still don't bother actually sewing anything.

What a good idea! We had one many moves ago and I loved it. My dd is making these this year for us using the following direction.

http://blairpeter.typepad.com/weblog/2008/02/make-a-rice-pil.html

And I'm making a paper-piecing quilt like the one on top...I might try to incorporate them into the rice bags.:001_smile:

Edited by Tammyla

making a rice bag, either with one of my husbands new socks :)

or using flannel sewn together, like a pillow. We like the smell of Jasmine Rice:)

We used to use popcorn, but it really smells heavy after a while.

I am a midwife, and it does seem that Asian women really like and use something warm on the lower segment of their uterus, when contracting. I taught one Japanese mom how to make a rice bag, and she made something like 5 of them for her next birth. Her husband just kept warming one up after another, and she LOVED that. In fact her birth was just beautiful, and she was much more relaxed, and felt like it was the rice bags, and constant warmth...just a nugget:) Some people put a few drops of lavender on the bags. I don't because it seems people are varied on what they want to smell, at different times, based on how they are feeling.

We have also used them for ear aches, or for a warm compress on the ear or neck, when there have been some issues with drainage.

Maybe this is tooo much info...but it is such a simple thing to use...and I like to know there is more than one way to use them:)

I'm planning on making some corn bags using the instructions here. You need feed corn which you buy at a feed store. Independent pet stores can often get a big sack for you.

The same instructions page explains why using feed corn over other grains is suggested..... she 'standardized' the ingredient & pattern so that it would get permission for use in a hospital setting.

I'm planning on making some corn bags using the instructions here. You need feed corn which you buy at a feed store. Independent pet stores can often get a big sack for you.

The same instructions page explains why using feed corn over other grains is suggested..... she 'standardized' the ingredient & pattern so that it would get permission for use in a hospital setting.

Nice! Thanks for sharing that. I live in field corn country, so this is an excellent idea for us!

I prefer wheat in mine. The kernels are round and seem to move more easily than the popcorn or rice ones that I have tried, so they are easier to conform to the shape you wish. Mine are long tubes and I put 3.5 pounds of wheat in each one. I do sew and inner and outer cover so the outer one can be laundered. I also think the wheat stays "drier" than the rice once because the hard shell on the wheat doesn't let it absorb as much moisture from the air when not in use.

I bought my wheat as cover crop wheat (so no chemicals) from the feed store for under $10 for 50 pounds. However, you can use the wheat from the health food stores just as successfully and while it will cost more, it is still probably well under a dollar a pound.

We love them and call them "Warmies". We used on when dd was an infant. When bedtime was nearing, we would heat the warmie and put it in her crib. Then when she began settling down a bit in our arms, we would go in, remove the warmie, and place her in the warm, snuggly hollow left by the bag. She almost never woke up during the transfer!

We also like it for cold hands or feet, aches, headaches, earaches, and general soothing. HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Me too...In fact, due to a busy schedule I put the project on the back burner. Dd has a bit of a neck/headache today and I decided to whip one up in a tube sock. It's been very well received and is actually helping relieve some of the tension in her neck.:) She did look at me like I was crazy, but went ahead and tried it. Her words were something along the lines of ...toasty mom!

I'm going to make some pretty ones and one big. old one for my feet. I figure it will be a warmer/foot stool.:D

Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for all this wonderful information! Can't wait to make a few.

Is there any hope for those of us without a microwave? Can I only use them for ice packs?

Always hope! you can put them in the oven if it's low enough. Also, if you have a fire place you can use that.

For the oven I was baking anyway so I wrapped mine in foil and put it in with the casserole. I left it there after the oven was off. If it were a really high heat I'd be nervous.

For the fireplace I did the same thing, wrapped it in foil, and then nestled it in the ashes in the fireplace but not in the coals or fire (we have kind of a big fireplace). Eventhough it was wrapped in foil, it still smelled of smoke.

I've heard that you can put a brick or rock in the coals and then wrap it in a towel to use in bed. We tried that camping once and set the towl on fire, scorched the sleeping bag, and filled the tent with smoke. I don't really recommend that one. I imagine we may try again but doing it the same way as the foot warmer: nestle it into the ashes *near* the fire. When you take it out, WITH TONGS or something, wrap it in a towel and pretty soon it's nice and toasty.

I used the reheat 1 serving on my microwave. It was under three minutes and the heat is still going in the bag nearly an hour later. I popped it on a big plate to heat. There was a little moisture on the plate, but not enough to worry about. Next time I'll use the same method and set it on a paper towel to absorb the moisture. ( I also had a sleeve ready to slip over the tube sock once it was heated.) I'm not sure if I'll sew it permanently or keep it this way for easy washing.

I'd say the oven heating would work, but you would need to keep a close eye on it. No flaming rice bags wanted.:001_smile:

Thanks for all of the links. I have been wanting to make these for a long time. How long do you heat them in the microwave?
Edited by Tammyla