Menu

Gifted/learning disabled?

stephanie

I've never posted at the AL board before, but I was hoping y'all could look at my post on the SN boards? I'm hoping some of you may have experience with a child who is gifted, yet has problems as well. I know, sounds confusing. If you have time, please look at it! Thanks so much!

2E means "twice exceptional": gifted and learning disabled, usually. It's common enough... We have 2E stuff going on over here, too (dd has dyslexia).

...and sometimes I wonder where the line is between the overexcitabilities that often come with giftedness and actual emotional or sensory issues/disabilities.

2E means "twice exceptional": gifted and learning disabled, usually. It's common enough... We have 2E stuff going on over here, too (dd has dyslexia).

...and sometimes I wonder where the line is between the overexcitabilities that often come with giftedness and actual emotional or sensory issues/disabilities.

YES!! Dd is in therapy for severe sensory issues (sensory seeking), and now that therapy is working enough that she can think/learn/understand/communicate... I think she's gifted too. If she keeps it up like this, more gifted than the rest of us by far. It's such a paradigm shift from "can barely understand ANYTHING or communicate at all, hasn't picked up a single letter or number, not even the alphabet song" to "knowing all letters upper and lower/knowing all letter sounds/counting to at least ten on her own" all within two months right when she turned 2. Her big sis looks to be mildly/moderately gifted like me, but dd2... wow. If dd2 keeps it up, she'll be at the same level as her big sis within two months.

All three of my girls are gifted.

My oldest has ADD and possibly Asperger's. She is academically advanced, but not by a lot.

My middle most definitely has Asperger's. She had delayed speech, auditory processing issues (still has processing issues when she's stressed, but compensates well now), delayed gross motor skills (remediated with occupational therapy), delayed fine motor skills (still has some delays in this area), and sensory integration issues (OT helped tremendously in this area, but she still has some issues). She is academically advanced - more than her older sister, but not by a lot.

My youngest has visual processing delays and is dyslexic. She did have visual efficiency delays as well, but those were corrected with vision therapy. Dyslexia makes a huge difference. My other kids are academically advanced. She is just at grade level and it took a long time to get caught up to grade level.

It's such a paradigm shift from "can barely understand ANYTHING or communicate at all, hasn't picked up a single letter or number, not even the alphabet song" to "knowing all letters upper and lower/knowing all letter sounds/counting to at least ten on her own" all within two months right when she turned 2.

My boys did something similar. At somewhere between 3.5 and 4 they took this huge leap and all of a sudden could ride bikes without training wheels, read short words... It seemed to happen in a month or two. Bam!

Younger ds wasn't even putting two words together until around 2.5. Then, BAM! I think he jumped right into paragraphs within a months or two.

Dd has had a learning pattern that looks like a steep diagonal line: it is much more predictable. (She hit nearly all of her milestones sooner than her brothers: speaking in sentences between 12-18 months, pumping on the swing before 2.5, writing short sentences on her own by 3, swimming underwater at 3, playing the viola at 3.5...)

The boys are more like giant stair steps: run, rise, run, rise. I wonder which of these learning patterns is more common in gifted kids??? Oooh... maybe I'll do a poll! :D

My boys did something similar. At somewhere between 3.5 and 4 they took this huge leap and all of a sudden could ride bikes without training wheels, read short words... It seemed to happen in a month or two. Bam!

Younger ds wasn't even putting two words together until around 2.5. Then, BAM! I think he jumped right into paragraphs within a months or two.

Dd has had a learning pattern that looks like a steep diagonal line: it is much more predictable. (She hit nearly all of her milestones sooner than her brothers: speaking in sentences between 12-18 months, pumping on the swing before 2.5, writing short sentences on her own by 3, swimming underwater at 3, playing the viola at 3.5...)

The boys are more like giant stair steps: run, rise, run, rise. I wonder which of these learning patterns is more common in gifted kids??? Oooh... maybe I'll do a poll! :D

Oooh, poll :D:bigear:

Dd1 is on a normal learning pattern, just more every day. Dd2... well, I love the stair analogy :tongue_smilie:. It fits well.

Calvin is gifted and learning disabled (dyspraxic/SID). His initial testing was very high in verbal areas and slightly below average in spatial perception. Although his spatial perception is still not wonderful, it has improved very markedly over the years.

I have always moved at a pace to match his gifts, whilst also working on areas where he was weak.

Laura

Angie,

Can I ask a question, and I mean this genuinely. I was told that there couldn't be a diagnosis of AS with a speech delay. This came up because my oldest DD9 has an AS diagnosis, one of my twins 'probably' has AS. Therefore, all of my kids are being watched closely. We were discussing my DS, but he has a speech delay, therefore I was told he couldn't have AS. Did you mean a speech delay, as in the pragmatics and such that are common with AS, or a delay in actual talking?

I've never posted at the AL board before, but I was hoping y'all could look at my post on the SN boards? I'm hoping some of you may have experience with a child who is gifted, yet has problems as well. I know, sounds confusing. If you have time, please look at it! Thanks so much!

Not confusing. I have one. Lots of therapy has mostly hidden it, but I have the test scores to prove it! :-)

Her speech delay was mostly due to auditory processing issues. When she was little (before 4yo), she looked more like high functioning autistic. She was late for EVERY milestone - sitting, crawling, walking, talking, ... She had lots of rituals, had to line everything up, and screamed all day long. After we worked around the auditory processing delay, she was a lot better. After occupational therapy for the gross motor, fine motor, and sensory integration issues, she was tremendously better. I was hoping at that point that everything was "fixed". She fits the Aspie profile very well now except that she can read other people to an extent. She can read other people's facial expressions, but you can't tell by her tone of voice or her expression what she's actually feeling. She mostly speaks in a monotone in a tone of voice that sounds snarky.

She still has some auditory processing issues, so speaking to people on the phone is very difficult. She needs to be able to see the person she is talking to. She can talk your ear off (talking "at" you rather than "with" you) if she sees you in person, but she gets off the phone as quickly as she possibly can.