Menu

Financial software preference?

What do you prefer for family finances?  

1. 1. What do you prefer for family finances?

• Quicken
    • Microsoft Money
    • Quickbooks
    • Other (please specify)

i've used Quicken for over 15 years now. it does what i need it to do. i use Quickbooks for my business because it can track inventory. Quickbooks for family finances would be serious overkill and overly complicated.

That is what I was thinking too... we own Quickbooks Pro from my business that I closed down earlier this year. Dh mentioned using it, but it seems like overkill to me... but it would be free... I'm thinking something we will be happier with in the long term will be something that "fits" a family better...

I have both Quicken and Quickbooks, we got Quickbooks to keep track of business expenses for a business we no longer have and we prefer Quicken for family finances. It is great. I love being able to download statements and have them imported into Quicken. It is not so important now, but just last month I went and imported from all our accounts all the information since January. I love putting in the due dates of all our bills and income, setting them up to recur every month, and seeing a graph of our bank account balance every day of every month.

I have not used Microsoft Money, so I can't comment on its differences from Quicken.

I posted the other day about this other Excel spreadsheet I downloaded to do debt reduction planning, which I haven't gotten Quicken to do what I want yet. Basically to plan and see results from the Dave Ramsey Snowball method. This is free and fairly quick to do:

http://www.vertex42.com/Calculators/...alculator.html

I was a diehard MS Money user from 1996-2005, but it seemed that the last few years I used it things would freeze up when trying to back up my file and then when you would reboot all the files were corrupt and it would say we had huge amounts of money in our accounts (wouldn't it be nice if that were true)

In 2005 I got a free trial of quicken and have used it since. I'll never go back to Money. I've never had a crash with Quicken and it does everything I need with ease.

I posted the other day about this other Excel spreadsheet I downloaded to do debt reduction planning, which I haven't gotten Quicken to do what I want yet. Basically to plan and see results from the Dave Ramsey Snowball method.

If this is what I think it is (the link didn't work for me), Quicken does have it. I have Quicken deluxe 2008, and the Debt Reduction Planner does the snowball method and allows you to choose which debts to pay off first.

I was a diehard MS Money user from 1996-2005, but it seemed that the last few years I used it things would freeze up when trying to back up my file and then when you would reboot all the files were corrupt and it would say we had huge amounts of money in our accounts (wouldn't it be nice if that were true)

In 2005 I got a free trial of quicken and have used it since. I'll never go back to Money. I've never had a crash with Quicken and it does everything I need with ease.

Were you able to transfer anything over, or did you just start from scratch in 2006? We are currently using MS Money and were wondering about this... Thanks!

Do a search for Ace Money. It is free for the basic version. It works very simply and straight forward. Quite intuitive. You have to pay for the advanced version if you want to keep track of more than one account (I think it is still inexpensive). It has a bunch of reports you can print out and has some of the real nice features that most people would want.

• 1 month later...
Were you able to transfer anything over, or did you just start from scratch in 2006? We are currently using MS Money and were wondering about this... Thanks!

I just read in a CNET article that Microsoft is no longer going to produce MS Money.

Here's a link to tranferring MS Money data...

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/transfer-from-microsoft-money.jsp