Menu

? about pregnancy symptom.

I'm 33 weeks pregnant, and I feel like I can not breathe if I'm in any position other that completely vertical, or on my left side. I know there is a vein that gets compressed if you lie on your back. It is that same feeling, but more extreme.

When I was at my last check up, I lied on my back for the midwife to hear the baby's heart beat. It was so slow that it sounded like my pulse until I rolled over on my side, and it sped up to a normal rate. She just said, "She sure doesn't like you to be on your back."

I can't lie down in the tub to rinse my hair. Even the split second of being on my back when I roll over in my sleep, makes me sit up and start gagging and gasping for air.

I can deal with the discomfort, but I'm obsessing that I feel this way because there is some hidden complication. I tried to talk to my midwife and doula about it, but neither of them have ever been pregnant, so I was having trouble explaining the sensation to them.

Does anyone here know what I'm talking about?

Anyone?

supine hypotensive syndrome?

http://www.babycenter.com/0_dizziness-and-fainting-during-pregnancy_228.bc

Lying on your back In your second and third trimesters, your growing uterus can slow the circulation in your legs by compressing the inferior vena cava (the large vein that returns blood from the lower half of the body to the heart) and the pelvic veins.

Lying flat on your back can make this problem worse. In fact, about 8 percent of pregnant women in their second and third trimesters develop a condition called supine hypotensive syndrome: When they lie on their back, their heart rate increases, their blood pressure drops, and they feel anxious, lightheaded, and nauseated until they shift their position.

To avoid this problem, lie on your side instead of flat on your back. Either side is better than your back, although the left side is best. A pillow placed behind you or under your hip can help you stay on your side — or at least tilted enough to keep your uterus from compressing the vena cava.

What has your blood pressure been lately?

Yep, sounds like supine hypotension. Also, when you lie flat on your back, your lungs are going to be squished a little more as your placenta relaxes up a bit. That could contribute to what you're feeling.

Definitely avoid any position that makes you feel anxious, because your brain is trying to help you protect baby. My understanding is that blood supply to your brain will be decreased ~ causing anxiety, etc. ~ before blood supply to the baby is dangerously compromised. I'd be a bit concerned about that drop in fetal heart rate though.

I'm not a doula or midwife, just a bookworm, but I'd want to know a little more about how low baby's heart rate got, and how quickly it recovered. Follow your instincts. If your instincts say to consult an OB, do it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a second opinion and/or seeking "shadow care" even if you are planning a homebirth.

:grouphug:

I had that problem the last 3 months of pregnancy. They never told me it had a fancy name, just told me not to lay on my back (except that they made me lay on the beds at the hosp and clinic for a really long time on my back :glare:). It stinks, but laying on your side with the pillows between your knees and under your belly is helpful. Sometimes, stretching your arms way over your head is good too. Hang in there...not much longer now:).

I had that problem the last 3 months of pregnancy. They never told me it had a fancy name, just told me not to lay on my back (except that they made me lay on the beds at the hosp and clinic for a really long time on my back :glare:). It stinks, but laying on your side with the pillows between your knees and under your belly is helpful. Sometimes, stretching your arms way over your head is good too. Hang in there...not much longer now:).

Me too... lol, I just thought the baby was so big that it would spread out and up whenever I was on my back and the sculiosis in my lower back pushes my hips to the left... I always thought the left side thing had to do with that.

Thanks for the education :)

Thanks, guys!

I did go ahead and call the midwife who used to work at the birthing center with my midwife and has more experience.

She said that it's probably okay because I lose blood to my brain much more quickly than I'll lose blood to the uterus. She said that I'm anxious about it because the physiological response produces anxiety to protect the baby.

She is visiting me this weekend, so we will have a chance to talk about it further.

At least I know now why I feel so bad. I wish I understood why this sensation is so much more extreme in this pregnancy than the last four.

At least I know now why I feel so bad. I wish I understood why this sensation is so much more extreme in this pregnancy than the last four.

I think it's just how the baby is laying. I never had it with my first 3, with my 4th, we had to cut short one of my later ultrasounds because I just couldn't lay on the table anymore. As it was it took me a good 15 minutes to stop feeling like I was going to heave. I had no problems with my 5th.