Menu

Neighbor had baby. What to take?

I don't know them very well, we moved her only a couple of months ago. They both work full time and we only have chatted a couple of times, but they seem very nice people. This is their first baby together, but he has two high school age from a previous relationship that are living with them. I know they had a baby shower because we saw the balloons and the cars... I thought about a cooked meal, but I don't know what to cook, he is half Japanese, she is Filippino, I am not sure what kind of cuisine they like... My husband suggested flowers, but I am not sure how welcome they will be? Who wants to have to take care of them when you have a newborn? I should get them something soon. We haven't spoken with them yet but we noticed the welcome home balloons yesterday.

I always take an outfit for 3-6 months and 6-9 months. Bigger if the baby is big. People often don't have cothes for the later stages, and they grow so fast a new parent can be easily caught unawares when suddenly none of those cute infant clothes fit.

If you don't want to do that, I would go for the flowering plant.

My suggestion would be diapers (maybe size 2?), wipes, and/or cookies/chocolate, etc.

I just had a baby and I wish someone would have given me a ton of disposable dishes. But then, I don't have a dishwasher (dd6 just dries them, she doesn't wash yet) and your neighbors probably do.

It's awesome that you want to bless them even though you don't know them at all - way to go!

Mama Anna

I finally decided to buy a pretty flowering plant in a nice pot (it only needs watering once a week), a pumpkin bread and fresh grapes. I was washing my car today as they were leaving with the baby to the ped's. They have a cute little boy! I had the chance to congratulate them and let them know I have something for them. I now just have to put everything together nicely and write the card.

When a friend had a baby, I made a "breakfast basket"...lots of fresh fruits that were easy to eat one handed while holding a baby (berries, grapes, bananas); granola bars; yogurt smoothie drinks; and a homemade banana or pumpkin bread. It was all in a big basket. To this day (it's been 5 years), my friend still talks about how fabulous it was and how it really helped her be able to keep up her energy and strength during those first few sleepless nights!