Menu

Disc-o-sit vs cheaper version

My six-year-old son's former speech therapist came recently to do some testing on him, and we both feel he has auditory processing issues. She confirmed something I have noticed - that he has to be moving to think, and the harder he thinks, the more he wiggles, rocks, pats his legs, etc. She recommended a wiggle seat, and upon researching, I found the disc-o-sit as well as a much cheaper version designed for exercise on amazon. Has anyone used any type of wiggle seat? Do I need the expensive version or will any balance seat work? He will be seen by a developmental pediatrician in a few months (takes forever to get an appointment), but in the meantime, I want to help him as much as I can.

Thank you;

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

I can't see it making a difference. I have a disc-o-sit, but it's a very simple beast: just a thick rubber inflatable cushion with 'nubbles' on the top that wobbles slightly as you sit on it. I don't know if the rough, nubbly texture is important.

Best wishes

Laura

I think in some cases, the products made for therapy are better quality. I bought an exercise ball for $10 that got a tear within a week. DH tried to fix it with our pool repair kit, but it didn't work and we ended up throwing it away. The one I bought from Therapy Shoppe for about $35 is still going strong after nearly a year.

I don't think that it matters which one you get. I think anything that makes him balance would work. I have also seen exercise balls used. I have used the cushions over the years with some of my students. We called them "sit fits", but I can't seem to find them.

Here is a good source for the different types of cushions:

http://shoponline.pfot.com/seatcushions.htm

DS used the ergo sit for several months. Now he sits on a Top Star Sitness 5 Mesh Exercise Ball Chair. We first saw them at the St. Louis Science Museum, where I wanted to stay in the exhibit just to sit on the chairs! I came home and after a few weeks ordered one for myself, hoping ds would adopt it - and he has. He put it together right out of the box and has been using it for school ever sense. Here's a link on the Top Star - it's the least expensive place I could find them.

http://www.overstock.com/Office-Furniture/Topstar-Sitness-5-Mesh-Exercise-Ball-Chair/3353826/product.html

I have purchased from both of those companies before and haven't had any problems.

I picked up one of the cheaper exercise type ones at Target. He doesn't like the bumpy side for sitting so he just flips it. He will use the bumpy side to stand on - he loves the way it feels on his feet. We also do some spinning, either standing and spinning around or on a sit n spin, periodically through the day along with some heavy lifting type activities. It helps him settle into thinking mode. We had an OT work out a sensory diet for my son and there is a big difference on days when we don't follow it. Dana

I picked up one of the cheaper exercise type ones at Target. He doesn't like the bumpy side for sitting so he just flips it. He will use the bumpy side to stand on - he loves the way it feels on his feet. We also do some spinning, either standing and spinning around or on a sit n spin, periodically through the day along with some heavy lifting type activities. It helps him settle into thinking mode. We had an OT work out a sensory diet for my son and there is a big difference on days when we don't follow it. Dana

Can you tell me a bit more about what this is? Is this an actual cushion or the big ball? I can't beleive you found it at target?!! I was thinking about getting the exercise balls from there for my girls. And seeing about just buying the 'stands' somewhere else. THANKS!

This is similar to what I got at Target - the one I have is blue, and I found it on sale by the sporting goods and exercise gear. It's not the big ball, it is a disk, and we just put it on the chair he sits on, or on the floor if we are doing read alouds, etc.

http://www.target.com/Natural-Fitness-Balance-Disc-RedRock/dp/B000OENSWY/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=1Y72PKDZFTN2P36DW5NJ&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00193TL0W&pf_rd_p=481695111&pf_rd_s=left-5

Hope that helps!

PS - We also got a great deal on one of those mini trampolines at Target, and it has been a great help when he needs to get his wiggles out! Great exercise too.

This is what we used. My ds (7 yo) only needed it for about a month, and then he was done using it. He said it felt weird after he got used to sitting still. Our OT said the positioning of it allowed for the best spine support while sitting at our table (our therapy ball was too short to reach the table). Otherwise, she suggested a therapy ball that would allow him to sit so his knees bent at a 90-deg. angle with proper placement at a desk/table.

Here's what the ad says for the wedge we used:

"The Movin' Sit Jr. is an inflatable dynamic air cushion that activates intrinsic trunk muscles to support the spine. The wedge shape encourages a seated posture with a forward pelvic position and the movement m

Size: 10" X 10" and fits perfectly in elementary school desks and other chairs.

This inflatable wedge seat encourages static anatomical seating while mimicking the dynamic seating motion of a therapy ball. It is great for kids with poor posture and those who have trouble sitting still. In particular, kids with ADHD and/or Sensory Integration Dysfunction will benefit from the Movin' Sit Jr. It can also be used upright in any chair as a back support or on the floor. Adjust inflation to comfort level.

I have noticed - that he has to be moving to think, and the harder he thinks, the more he wiggles, rocks, pats his legs, etc.

Have you done a search on sensory processing? There are some great resources available. At this link, if you scroll down to the section about sensory overload during school, they have some great tips: http://www.sensorysmarts.com/working_with_schools.html

I hope this helps,

Beckey in AZ, MOMY to 7

(including 3 little boys who had varying sensory integration issues, which they outgrew by ages 2, 6, and 8)

Wow, I hadn't checked this in a while, thank you for all the great responses! I ended up finding an exercise disc at Ocean State Job Lot for $9, and it's a popular seat at my house. The wiggly child in question enjoys it during school time, and while I can't be sure, there's a real possibility it's helping him. The other kids take turns using it at mealtime - and I shouldn't be surprised, but my sensory-seeking, constantly singing and moving and talking 17-year-old dd likes it best LOL.

Beckey, I have done a lot of reading about sensory processing and integration issues, beginning with the aforementioned dd 17 and with my dd 19, who was (is) sensory defensive. Amazing stuff, thanks for mentioning it. I've got two more sensory seekers, one who seems wired just right (who knew that could happen?) and then ds6, who certainly has some sensory things going on, along with probable auditory processing and the developmental things that can happen when you are born 9 weeks and don't join your forever family until you are 3.

Thanks, all for the input!

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

We use something similar we got at Walmart. My son's OT recommended the Walmart exercise department as an alternative to the therapy stores. She said that the same stuff, when marketed as being for therapy, is much much more expensive.