Menu

American math education -- is it slow/too repetitive?

msjones

I'm looking through my boys' math books -- we use both RightStart and Singapore. I choose one or the other or both depending on the lesson for each topic. We do a lot of math.

But I notice that 3rd, 4th, 5th grades spend a lot of time on similar topics. I find that we can skip a lot because the boys already 'get it.' (They're not 'gifted' or even particularly 'math-y.')

Anyone else feel this way and have similar math-skipping experiences? Anyone have links to articles on the topic?

Well, Singapore isn't American math. There is a U.S. edition, yes, but it's mostly to address things like American money, etc. So that program can't factor into whether American programs are too slow.

I don't really have any links or thoughts one way or the other, except that kids often forget things that they 'knew' at one point, and I'm guessing that similar topics are just that - - similar, not the same (and thus teaching points that may only be slightly different, but those slight differences might be important?).

I'm not math-oriented myself, but dh is, and he's very insistent that a good math education is incremental. He's also big on different approaches, so we also usually have two programs going.

Anyone else feel this way and have similar math-skipping experiences?

My thoughts are that it depends on the individual child's ability level as to what and how much to skip.

However, in general and in most cases, it is better to err on the side of too much review rather than too little.

Even gifted kids benefit from occasional review.

Well, Singapore isn't American math. There is a U.S. edition, yes, but it's mostly to address things like American money, etc. So that program can't factor into whether American programs are too slow.

I don't really have any links or thoughts one way or the other, except that kids often forget things that they 'knew' at one point, and I'm guessing that similar topics are just that - - similar, not the same (and thus teaching points that may only be slightly different, but those slight differences might be important?).

I'm not math-oriented myself, but dh is, and he's very insistent that a good math education is incremental. He's also big on different approaches, so we also usually have two programs going.

;)Pretty funny that this didn't occur to me as I wrote this post! I hadn't had my afternoon cup of coffee yet.

And I agree with your husband -- a good program is scaffolded with incremental steps. I'm just thinking the steps (at this point, anyway) are really tiny.

Yes, they are. Especially 5th and 6th grade are horribly boring, IMHO. We are finishing RS E right now. I will not use a formal math program for 5th and 6th. Our plan is to use various sources: RightStart Geometry, Key to..., Fact Practice, Family Math etc....

In 7th grade we'll jump into NEM.

Susie

I tend to agree about the "biding time" until Algebra. I'd say, tho, that a certain level of automaticity comes in handy, and it takes time for the mind to become able to not only describe, but manipulate quantities and such, and find relationships between concepts. I think that's largely the purpose of spending so much time before Algebra.

Honestly, sometimes I think it's just to mark time 'till the mythical "average" kid is ready to start algebra.

I am starting to think that sometimes, too. In K, we learn very basic addition and subtraction with counting. In first, we do it again, and move on to two digit without borrowing and carrying. In second, we do the same and now do multi-digit and borrowing/carrying. Why not just learn it all at once? I realize it does take time to get the facts down, though.

I think I now understand better the approach that says to do math informally and then just start 5th grade math at age 10. Not that I am going to do that, but I understand.

Honestly, sometimes I think it's just to mark time 'till the mythical "average" kid is ready to start algebra.

:iagree: This has been my theory for many, many years now. I developed it while suffering through the third month straight of "estimation" in fifth grade. Further life experiences have only reinforced that view.