Menu

I am planning a co-op class on the human body for...

MI Mom

I am planning a co-op class on the human body for kids ages 4-6 or 7 maybe even 8 years. I am looking for lessons that the children will really enjoy. I would like to do a craft and maybe have a relate snack that is incorporated into the lesson (kids love snacks). I am also looking for songs and poems to keep it interesting. I am looking for book titles and websites to use. I have not picked exact topics yet, but would like to keep with the major things like the heart, brain, bones, stomach etc. Oh, I will have 55 min. for this class and need to plan for 8 or 9 class periods.

The trick will be to keep it cheap as I will not have much money to work with.

Thanks,

Audra

When my kids were a bit younger we did a co-op with a friend. We used a roll of art paper and had the kids lie down on it and traced around them. Then each week when we covered another system (skeletal, digestive, blood, etc...) they would cut out the body parts she had already drawn or printed on colored paper and the kids would glue them in the right place. For veins she used red and blue yarn. She had the kids decorate a seperate face which they taped on over the brain. It was so fun for the kids and we still have them. The kids learned a lot but in such a fun hands on way. Maybe you could incorate something like that since you don't need to spend much money? hth!

When my kids were a bit younger we did a co-op with a friend. We used a roll of art paper and had the kids lie down on it and traced around them. Then each week when we covered another system (skeletal, digestive, blood, etc...) they would cut out the body parts she had already drawn or printed on colored paper and the kids would glue them in the right place. For veins she used red and blue yarn. She had the kids decorate a seperate face which they taped on over the brain. It was so fun for the kids and we still have them. The kids learned a lot but in such a fun hands on way. Maybe you could incorate something like that since you don't need to spend much money? hth!

same here. In fact, I did it when I was a kindergartener or 1st grader a millenia ago. Very fun.

Try Otter Science program. It uses living books, and has some easy and cool experiments. I used the prek-1st last year for a small group of kids. I added in a couple of Teacherfilebox worksheets because I have that subscription, but you don't need it. I also used the Usborne website to print pictures off for their notebook.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_science/science_human_body.html

We are using the book "My Body". http://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Books-PATTY-CARRATELLO/dp/1557342113/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254841383&sr=1-1 My six year old loves it. It gives just enough information on each of the body parts. You draw the child's outline on large paper. You then photocopy the body part pages. They color them and glue them in place. It even tells you what color each part should be and includes a guide for how, where and when to place them of the outline.

We also use some of the Usborne books along with it. My son is very visual.

If you can find an anatomical model of the human body, they might like it. I got one for ds5 that he loves. He calls it 'Gut Guy'! Not sure how many kids you'll have, but you might need more than one if it is a large group, to make sure everyone gets a turn.

Also I remember doing an activity with spaghetti noodles when I ws a kid to demonstrate how the intestines can be so long but still fit in the abdomen. I couldn't find anything like it on the web though. We each got some fat noodles for the large intestine and skinny spaghetti noodles for the small intestine, and a little bowl that we had to fit them in. I remember they just barely fit if they were all coiled up together, and it was fun because we were playing with food with our hands :tongue_smilie:.

Ellen McHenry has some great free downloadable crafts and games that would work for you (scroll down to the Human Body section). The Brain Hats and Anatomy Shirts would be especially cool to do!

http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/id31.html

The Body Book, published by Scholastic, also has great reproducible models (skeletal system, circulatory system, etc). It also includes multilayer models for the five senses (giant eyeball, ear, tongue showing which tastebuds respond to which tastes, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-make-Hands-Models-Teach/dp/0545048737/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254844001&sr=8-2

Jackie

I too am doing a co op class on the body! I second the suggestion of The Body Book, I have used it at home as well, the multi-layer projects are great. The kids in my group loved listening to their heart with a stethoscope, then finding their pulse and doing exercise to see how the pulse changes. We examined a small heart model from Learning Resources, and colored a heart model to show the oxygenated and oxygen poor blood paths. I am doing the brain next, and the skeletal system. Here's a little heart poem I found:

My Special Pump

My heart is a special pump

and it’s good at pumping blood.

When I listen to my heartbeat

I hear it go lub-dub.

My heart is made of muscle,

which makes it very strong.

If I work to keep it healthy,

it will last my whole life-long!

I also used some great reproducibles and ideas from the Texas Heart Institute. Here's the link:

http://www.texasheartinstitute.org/HIC/ProjH/grade2.cfm

I wouldn't mind if you passed me along any fun stuff you find! :001_smile:

I am also getting ready to do a unit on the body for my preschooler, I found these two books at our library, the expierments look simple and to the point, and most used household items. Ill be watching this thread too!

http://www.amazon.com/First-Science-Experiments-Amazing-Human/dp/1402724373/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IHL6QI2ZUO79Q&colid=3GVVLBVQDN1ZU

http://www.amazon.com/First-Science-Experiments-Super-Senses/dp/1402727674/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3SFT7PMYFJDVO&colid=3GVVLBVQDN1ZU

do that activity where the kids lie on a sheet of paper and are traced around. Then each time something like the heart, brain etc. are studied it is glued in place. I am looking for directions for this. Does anyone know of any? I would like to also add in the red and blue yarn for veins if it isn't too difficult. Is there an easy way to add some of the major bones as well?

Thanks,

Audra

The Body Book

This is the book that has instructions for drawing the kids on paper and adding organs as you go.

Head to Toe Science is also another great activities book for the human body.

I also have Easy to Make and Learn Projects Human Body book, but I haven't delved into it much at all yet. Don't drop your jaw at the Amazon price, it can be found used elsewhere for much cheaper.

Hope this helps!

do that activity where the kids lie on a sheet of paper and are traced around. Then each time something like the heart, brain etc. are studied it is glued in place. I am looking for directions for this. Does anyone know of any? I would like to also add in the red and blue yarn for veins if it isn't too difficult. Is there an easy way to add some of the major bones as well?

Thanks,

Audra

I am doing this right now with a co-op class of K-2nd graders. We are using The Body Book from TCM ( I think). I am using the Kingfisher First Body Book as my spine and Head To Toe science as our experiment book.

My ds6 loved doing the My Body book someone else mentioned (trace the kids and photocopy the body parts to be cut and glued on)

Also Let's Read and Find Out science books (check your library!) has books on all the body systems. These are picture books for grades K-2 and my kids love them.

I'm teaching this right now to our preschool co-op class. I'm doing the first 5 weeks on the body systems and I have a co-teacher doing the next 5 weeks on our senses. We're doing the body outline on paper many have mentioned and are using photocopies each week from American Education Publishing Complete Book of Science (grade 1-2). Seems to be working well. I can email you my lesson plans (they're a little loose, but they may give you some activity ideas). Just let me know.