Menu

Help with math. Singapore not "clicking" for ds8...

Sue G in PA

Ds8 is stubborn. He can do math. He really can. When he "wants" to, he can do it. We are in Singapore 1B right now. It took us 1 1/2 hours to do a page of SIMPLE subtraction problems today...using M&Ms as manipulatives. :001_huh: What am I doing wrong? Should I just STOP right here and just drill add/subtract facts until he has them down cold? I'm getting really worried about this. Or, should I switch programs? I've used Saxon for him in the past...not good. We also tried MUS and he didn't like the repetition and the blocks. I really like Singapore. He does as well. But it's just not "clicking". Help?

When Singapore didn't click with my daughter we switched to Rightstart. I really like Rightstart's use of manipulatives, narrative for the teacher, use of games to help learn facts, and it's quite thorough. It's a lot more expensive than Singapore, but worth it.

:iagree: When I hit that point with Becca (we'd tried Saxon unsuccessfully and hit a wall in Singapore 1B), we switched to RightStart. We both love it.

With Singapore not working for my 8yo (finished a level, not ready for the next, have some gaps to fill where we moved too fast or covered before starting Singapore)...we've switched to Math Mammoth. You don't lose any of the conceptual teaching, it adds in a little more drill, and it borrows some of the teaching methods from Singapore math actually. You might even just use the topical books in the blue series, or get a whole grade level with the Light Blue series. I've just gotten ours all printed, plus have the SoftPac software with the topical worksheet maker, test maker, games, etc. and I LOVE this program! It's all the best of SM that I liked, none of what I didn't...and takes the best of Saxon (the drill) and tones it done a lot and includes the step by step as well...without giving up on the mental math and concept/why teaching of SM. Excellent! I wish I had heard about it years ago! DD looked at it and says, "Now this makes sense". There are placement tests on the site and the author will happily help you with placement if you email the scores.

While I think you should switch if Singapore doesn't work for you, I don't think that any one 'method' can be very wrong when it comes to teaching simple subtraction, or that it should ever take 1 1/2 hours to do a page of simple subtraction. I mean, here's 11 M&Ms, take 3 of them away . . .

Where did he bog down specifically? Did it take him forever to count the candies out to begin with? It's been a while since level 1 for me, and I do remember that they teach even simple things more than one way. My dd wasn't wild about 'counting back,' but if you were using manipulatives, it's mainly a whole bunch of counting. 15 candies, take 9 away, count the result, etc.

I"m a big believer in drill, but we drill for speed. imo, he should be able to figure out the problems (fairly quickly) without memorizing the answers.

Before I made any decisions, I would try to figure out why it took so long.

We had similar issues with Singapore here! We did not have a foundation in Singapore, and I think that was the problem. This is our first year homeschooling and I don't believe the skills were introduced in the same order or in the same way. So, we were trying to build a new building on the wrong foundation.

I switched to CLE Math and we both love it. It breaks down the addition/subtraction facts into smaller chunks and now she is confidently completing her math assignment every day!

Hope you find what works for you. :001_smile:

I hate to sound 'old school', but memorization is key. Sing songs, do flash cards, wrap keys, fill in the hundred chart with beads...whatever you need to do get those facts down now.

Singapore worked for us until 5b. Then there was an evident learning differential that surfaced and one child switched, the other stayed. Its possible Singapore just isn't speaking to your child, but I would be certain he has those facts memorized.

Part of his problem is concentration. He will sit there and color the pictures with his pencil, stare into space, scribble on the pages, etc. but not focus. I am constantly telling him to FOCUS! We teach the lesson from the textbook, do some problems together, etc. and then do the lessons. I just don't know what to do. I doubt it would be any different in another program...he'd still dawdle, stare into space, etc. until he was finally ready to DO his work! What can I do? He's not this way with his spelling (AAS) or handwriting or anything else really. Just math!

Part of his problem is concentration. He will sit there and color the pictures with his pencil, stare into space, scribble on the pages, etc. but not focus. I am constantly telling him to FOCUS! We teach the lesson from the textbook, do some problems together, etc. and then do the lessons. I just don't know what to do. I doubt it would be any different in another program...he'd still dawdle, stare into space, etc. until he was finally ready to DO his work! What can I do? He's not this way with his spelling (AAS) or handwriting or anything else really. Just math!

Is he bored??

Possibly move him ahead?

Sometimes I would do 20 minutes twice a day instead of the whole leeson at once. For some time I would do math right after he ate lunch. I just found that this was the time when he was concentrating the best. And sometimes right after some physical exercises (running around the yard :-)

I think he might be bored... I am confused.... he is 8 and in 1B?

My 9 yo is about to finish 4A.

My thing w/ singapore was whenever we had a block of some sort, I would move on to a different part of the book. Totally different subject, like the shapes, fractions, measuring, whatever.... then go back.

Unless he has a learning disability, he might just be too old for that level. At least level 2 books!

Also, as far as not focusing, my older son is notorious for this. He makes mistakes that have to do with inattentiveness, not ability. A constant struggle. I am committed to sitting with him and keeping him on task. It's a pain, but I know tat one day, it will sort itself out. My fingers are crossed!

BTW, my son HATES subtraction. HATES it! Division is worse, 'cause there is subtraction in it!!! :tongue_smilie:

If you are willing to consider switching programs, you should be willing to skip around in a book or try a different level.

I don't know how many problems there were but my daughter gets completely freaked out if she sees a large amount of problems all at once. It doesn't matter that she is perfectly capable, it overwhelms her. I think this is why Abeka is working well for her because of the spiral approach. When faced with larger sheets of problems, my husband recommended using a piece of paper to cover up all but a few problems, so visually she is only seeing a few at a time so taken in smaller chunks, she is not overwhelmed.

yes, I think I'd consider bumping him up a level or two. you don't have to do it 'officially' until you're sure he can handle it, but you can easily pull new topics from the next book (or any math book, or from a website) and see if he's more interested and attentive.

you could also try giving him only a very few problems one day, and telling him "do these three and you're done." if he can work them quickly in order to be finished, that would point to boredom. or test his ability to add/subtract in informal ways, with some math related games or real life things like cooking, grocery shopping, etc.