Menu

Science for the grammar stage, what are you doing?

Wildwood

I am getting acquainted with the structure of The WTM (reading the book), and currently pondering the science recommendations.

At this point, I am really liking the idea of following the science course of study as mentioned in TWTM but, would like to learn more about what others are using, especially as you adhere to a classical-type education.

My kidlet is young so, I am most interested in grade 1-2.

Thank you!

We're doing Real Science 4 Kids and loving it. Granted.....I pull in a lot of extra materials. Mainly library books and we do lots of experiments from Adventures with Atoms and Molecules. I also planned my own "lego molecule" spin off for a week. I will say that it's not a cheap program and if you just do the book and labs (of 1 topic...chem or bio, or physics), it won't last long which is why I'm supplementing so much. But that being said, we still LOVE it! They do a great job IMHO of explaining things to kids.

We're doing Real Science 4 Kids and loving it. Granted.....I pull in a lot of extra materials. Mainly library books and we do lots of experiments from Adventures with Atoms and Molecules. I also planned my own "lego molecule" spin off for a week. I will say that it's not a cheap program and if you just do the book and labs (of 1 topic...chem or bio, or physics), it won't last long which is why I'm supplementing so much. But that being said, we still LOVE it! They do a great job IMHO of explaining things to kids.

Thank you!

If I may ask...

Which topic from RS4K are you currently covering, how old is your kiddo/s using this?

I have BFSU, I haven't started using it yet but I've read through a lot of it and so far am very impressed. Ds1 will also be taking a K-2 science co-op class that does a lot of experiments and such, since I'm not motivated enough to do a lot of the 'hands-on' stuff at home.

What is BFSU?

Thanks!

I like Real Science for Kids the Pre Level. We are doing Chemistry first, since mine started in K and 3rd. I have also heard that supplementing is a good idea to stretch it out, otherwise it is designed as a 1/3 of the year type of book. Either way is good. Does anyone know of a website that has a good list of supplemental stuff?

Does anyone know of a website that has a good list of supplemental stuff?

I'd be interested....do they have a yahoo group?

On a side note, for anyone using the pre-level RS4K, check out from the library or buy "What's smaller than a Pygmy Shrew". It's recommended in the Noeo book list (I actually use a lot of the books from their list for RS4K) and fits well with the first few chapters of RS4K. Also the experiments in Adventures with Atoms (book 1) match up nicely as well.

What is BFSU?

Thanks!

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding.

This year we are doing Sonlight Science 1, and next year I plan to do BFSU.

I picked Sonlight this year because I needed something complete with everything for all the experiments after scrambling for resources doing Five in a Row the year before. I prefer general science at this stage because I think children need the exposure, plus it prevents burnout (at least for me). We do additional studies of subjects that interest my child, for example, we also do nature study and Ariel is wild about horses right now, so we've been studying those/reading about them for awhile (this includes history and lit as well as science).

We are following the TanglewoodEducation.com science create-your-own curriculum ideas. This year (first grade for ds, 6) we're using Handbook of Nature Study and Kingfisher Encyclopedias and Young Discoverers guides to study Trees, Birds, Weather and Climate and the Human Body. We also have Nature Smart for cool projects. After having spent roughly six weeks on each topic, we're devoting the rest of the weeks, all twelve of them, to Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (BFSU). We have done about 16 of the threads already in K, and I'm spreading out BFSU in 1st and 2nd. We really enjoy it. This way we'll cover Nature Studies first, and the rest during the hot summer months if we don't feel like having regular nature walks. We get too hot and humid.

We are doing the new redesigned Sonlight Science K, and while it is expensive, we do love it! We built the weather vane last night and the first thing ds wanted to do this morning was go outside and discover which direction the wind was blowing. SL is a spiral science program and is general science, like PP mentioned, so it hits lots of different topics and jumps around - weather one week, frogs & tadpoles the next, rather than going through biology, chemistry, physics, etc. in successive years. I don't mind that for early science (which can be lots of things anyway or even simply nature study) but I think you would have to agree with that philosophy for SL's program to work for you.

We are using Elemental Science for my youngest, 2nd grade. I have never been able to stick to a program before this one. It is simple, and follows the WTM suggestions perfectly. I has an experiment day once a week, and then the other days are for reading and narration. We are doing Biology currently and will be doing Earth and Space this spring. We are doing 1-2 lessons a day, 4 days a week because my son is loving it so much. It takes less than 30 mins each time. The experiments are simple.

Last year we did narrations from Kingfisher First Animal Encyclopedia (I bought it before I saw the beautiful DK animal books), DK Human Body Encyclopedia, and some others. We made bug catchers in the back yard, memorized bones of the body and the digestive process, etc. I did not find a great spine for the plant study, but we did (try to) grow herbs in the kitchen, studied parts of a plant, etc. I like WTM because I don't have to spend a lot of money. Granted, we are blessed with a fantastic library system; I will buy something if I really like it want to keep it for future years.

Well, we're in third, but I'm going to chime in anyway!:D

We're doing chemistry and I'm mixing the Atoms and Molecules (rec. by TWTM) with eequalsmcq.com Chemistry. I like the labs he has, but Atoms and Molecules is easy and fun, so we do both :p

Last year, for astronomy, we relied heavily on the NASA channel, Nat'l Geographic, and the web. There's so many sites out there with every thing you could possibly need. We also covered contellations in other subjects (Latin), which brought Astronomy into so many parts of ds' life that his foundation is pretty exceptional, if I do say so myself ;)

R.E.A.L, renamed RSO (Real Science Odyssey)

http://www.pandiapress.com/real_science.htm

Look at samples here. Not many have posted on this thread, thus far, but a search of this forum will show many here do use it. I supplement with other hands-on days and plenty of books, but I do a lot of science at this age. Others do it as is once a week for the school year.

Well, we're in third, but I'm going to chime in anyway!:D

We're doing chemistry and I'm mixing the Atoms and Molecules (rec. by TWTM) with eequalsmcq.com Chemistry. I like the labs he has, but Atoms and Molecules is easy and fun, so we do both :p

Last year, for astronomy, we relied heavily on the NASA channel, Nat'l Geographic, and the web. There's so many sites out there with every thing you could possibly need. We also covered contellations in other subjects (Latin), which brought Astronomy into so many parts of ds' life that his foundation is pretty exceptional, if I do say so myself ;)

Love your astronomy focus and how it crept into other subject areas/parts of life, wonderful!

We also use Elemental Science and love it, but then again I wrote the program :)! It's written to follow the WTM recc's pretty closely, except that it's written to do science in short chunks 5 days a week. If you have any questions, I'm around and would be happy to answer them.

Paige,

It looks wonderful!

I just took a quick peek but, will dive in further (cooking dinner now)!

Thank you for the support!:)

Didn't see these mentioned so I thought I would throw them in. This year we are using Rod & Staff's Patterns of Nature but next year we'll be switching to God's Design for science, starting with God's Design for Life. :)

Elemental Science ... is simple, and follows the WTM suggestions perfectly.
:iagree:I haven't used it yet, but plan to get it for Chemistry and Physics. We are not doing earth science yet, because I plan to get that with a couple of WinterPromise programs in 5th grade.

For life science we started in K with a cultures and creatures plan of my own. We used the Draw Write Now books 7 and 8 for animal studies along with Usborne Encyclopedia of the Natural World (I think that is the one). Then I had my own plans for Human body study (guesthollow.com has a full year human body study) that we did very informally, and now we are on insects and plants with Winterpromise Shoot and Sprout Buzz and Bite.

Edited by Lovedtodeath