Menu

Holy cow!! Top 10 dirtiest foods!!!

http://liujiaoourhealth.blogspot.com/2008/12/10-dirtiest-foods-youre-eating.html

Just finished reading this article...I knew some of this but not as much as I thought I did!! My husband and son are deer hunters and it makes me really thankful our freezer is usually full of deer tenderloins, ground deer and roast. It is about as organic as you can get with meat.

What type of foods do you steer clear of?

fear mongering.

just because something is "dirty" doesn't mean it is TOXIC.

even the bacteria, salmonella, and shigella stuff aren't necessarily out to kill you everytime you're exposed to it.

If your family is sensitive to stuff like this, then take common sense precautions with EVERYTHING [not just these 10]. Otherwise, enjoy your food :)

http://liujiaoourhealth.blogspot.com/2008/12/10-dirtiest-foods-youre-eating.html

Just finished reading this article...I knew some of this but not as much as I thought I did!! My husband and son are deer hunters and it makes me really thankful our freezer is usually full of deer tenderloins, ground deer and roast. It is about as organic as you can get with meat.

I don't steer clear of any of them. And the article provides the reason in the first paragraph:

Now add in the fact that we each consume about 70 pounds of chicken a year—more than our intake of beef, pork, or turkey—and it's a wonder broilers don't come with barf bags.

If these dirty foods were dangerous enough for me to avoid them, there'd be much more sickness from eating them than actually occurs. It's not a wonder, it's just a fact. Edited by Janet in WA

Organic doesn't mean clean. How'd you kill the deer, was it a gut shot which contaminated the whole inside with e-coli? If the gut was not compromised, was it field dressed in sanitary conditions, then chilled promptly? Your deer is probably safe to eat, but no safer than the average beef at the local grocery.

I also tend to think most of these kinds of articles are fear-mongering.

Cook meat well, clean counters, and wash produce. Simple enough. My immune compromised son does not even have to avoid those foods as long as they are properly prepared for him to eat, and he has never gotten sick from food. IMO we get more germs from our cell phones, purses, and car steering wheel than our food.

We avoid HFCS, but mostly I try to buy ethically raised, local food as much as possible. Much less contamination risk. :)

We do, too. However, I live in Perdue/Tyson/Allen's country and have recently read from completely different sources, published years apart, about the amazing spread of resistant bacteria from industrial chickens being fed sub-therapeutic doses of antibiotics (to stimulate growth). The bacteria is airborne in areas where there is chicken farming/processing. I don't buy chicken from local farmers.

(As an aside, it has been known since around 1940 that these sub-therapeutic levels of antibiotics in feed breed resistant pathogens. A JHU research team just released a study on the airborne factor in our area.)

When I was a teen, I worked for a crab house and handling the oysters (and the safety precautions involved just to shuck them) totally put me off those.

Otherwise, I feel pretty safe. There is not a single "At the Grocery Store" in that that pertains to the way I purchase food. (because we purchase from farmers we know.) Even during the great spinach scare a couple of years ago, we kept right on eating spinach; we knew where it came from.