Menu

Is R&S spelling rule based? My plan going forward is to use the R & S workbook and add to it with my How to Teach Spelling TM, which I got for $4 from paperbackswap.com. The workbooks How to Spell were about the same price on half.com, but I don't like them, so I tried a used AAS level one, and now I have my plan for Rod and Staff. :)

I do love R&S. It is inexpensive, the kids do it mostly independently, it is rule-based, and the exercises are worthwhile. The word lists may seem a little easy--I've heard that but not really compared to other programs myself. My kiddos are working a year ahead--1st grader (reading well) in the 2nd grade book and 4th grader about done with the 4th grade book and will start 5th soon. The only other program I've used is SWO. We used A,B,C, and half of D. I found the activities in that book less worthwhile. Some puzzle type exercises frustrated my dd and didn't really teach anything.

Elizabeth does have a ton of great resources for free or cheap on her site! I got Grahams's books for my ds9 who is not a great speller and in ps so won't get great instruction there either. AAS is another great program that uses tiles instead of a ton of writing. It isn't overly expensive and you can often find it used here on the sale/swap board. It's not very teacher intensive (imho) and it's sort of "fun" for the kids. AND it is rules based so provides a very good foundation.

I'm using books available at Barnes & Noble called Flash Kids Spelling by Harcourt Family Learning. The books are only $6.95 each. Here's a link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spelling-Skills/Flash-Kids-Editors/e/9781411403857/?itm=2&usri=s'>http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spelling-Skills/Flash-Kids-Editors/e/9781411403857/?itm=2&usri=s'>http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spelling-Skills/Flash-Kids-Editors/e/9781411403857/?itm=2&usri=s'>http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spelling-Skills/Flash-Kids-Editors/e/9781411403857/?itm=2&usri=s

All of the lessons are organized phonetically. Each lesson covers 20 words. The books are colorful, but not too busy. The activities reinforce spelling skills and do not seem like busy work. There is an anser key in the back of the book, but no TM. Each lesson has these features:

• Say and listen - reminds student memorize and really listen for the sounds the words make.
  • Think and Sort - this section discusses the phonetic rules that are presented in the lesson. The student reads this short section about the spelling rules/phonetic info and then sorts the words based on the spelling rules presented.
  • The third section varies and includes activities like Antonyms, definitions, analogies, word classification, synonyms, etc. Usually the activities are fill in the blank.
  • Each weekly lesson includes a proofreading page. I like this because it forces students to look for mispelled words but also enables them to put their grammar skills to good use!
  • Dictionary skills are really reinforced too!

A review lesson follows every 5th lesson. Here's the best online sample page I could find. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spelling-Skills/Flash-Kids-Editors/e/9781411403857/?itm=2&usri=s

If you have a Barnes & Noble nearby, maybe you could go take a look.

Thanks for all of the replies...now I am more confused than ever (smile)....I do appreciate all of the differing opinions.

Kathy

You just need to get more picky and we'll narrow our suggestions down! (maybe...or maybe think of new ones, too:))

What are your priorities?

Fun? Easy? Cheap? Hands-On? Workbooky?

Didn't someone have spelling on lulu? It looked pretty good. Hannah maybe?

Hi Carmen,

I have a beginner spelling program available at http://www.lulu.com/hannahw. It can be viewed in its entirety there. I have not completed level 2 as things have got really busy around here (I work morning) and something 'clicked' with my dd and she does not need as much directed instruction. We moved on to dictation from Spelling Wisdom.

You just need to get more picky and we'll narrow our suggestions down! (maybe...or maybe think of new ones, too:))

What are your priorities?

Fun? Easy? Cheap? Hands-On? Workbooky?

yes...all of the above...:001_smile:...actually, what I really want is a program that is fun for the kids, low to no teacher prep, inexpensive...

Like I said, I am considering Core Skills, Spectrum Spelling and Spellwell...but I don't know much about them and I can't buy all 3 just to see...so any opinions are still appreciated!!

Kathy

Today I posted about a new computer program my dc's are loving called Spellquizzer. I tend to jump around with spelling and have Spelling Power, Spelling Workout, Natural Speller,... I think you get the point. I also run across words in our writing projects I want to add in and so the list gets confusing. With Spellquizzer you can create your own list and record your own voice.

I made ten lessons today for my dd because she remembers the words for the test but forgets them afterwards. She has done 8 so far and begging to do the next two. I made the sentences really funny so she is actually looking forward to spelling now.

You could just make a list from any of the resources you have, depending upon how involved you want to get. They also have some downloadable lists though I haven't used them.

Not trying to sound like a commercial but I have really put lots of learning on the computer this year. I am doing online tests, online algebra, timeliners on the computer and now spelling. Just sharing so you can see another option.