Menu

Has anyone read Hanna Rosin's book about Patrick Henry Coll.?

I just finished a very revealing book about Patrick Henry Coll. It is called God's Harvard A Christain College on a Mission to Save America. Hanna Rosin is Jewish. She is a writer for the religious writer for the Washington Post. Hanna Rosin spent 2 years on campus. She focases on different students and staff through out the book. She really is a good storyteller.

I think this book will really make you evaluate the whole homeschooler culture. As a conservative Christain, I was challenged to really evaluate why I do things. I learned what other people on the outside thought of our little community.

Helen in OH

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendation, Helen! :001_smile:

I have only read the first chapter and a half or so, and I am bothered by the way she describes homeschoolers in general. She paints with a broad brush, and I find myself wanting to respond. ;) I'll soldier on, though...

I did end up reading it. I agree that she uses "homeschoolers" when she means "a certain segment of conservative Protestant Republican homeschoolers." ;) But at the same time, she pointed to some very real difficulties facing PHC in particular and religious schools in general: academic and intellectual freedom; the conflict between marriage and career experienced by women at some schools; the extent to which the college functions in loco parentis when it comes not only to matters of discipline, but matters of faith. I didn't always agree with the author's slant, but it was an engrossing read, and I think it would be enlightening for those who do live within the subculture Rosin describes to see how they are viewed by outsiders.

So far Rosin has said many things that make me roll my eyes and say, "whatever". Her bias against the people she is writing about is very obvious. :glare:

However, she really made my blood boil on page 30. She writes about a teenage boy struggling alone with a crush on a girl because he doesn't feel that he can confide in his parents--"Homeschoolers don't have teachers, coaches, or peers to give them guidance when they feel out of sync with their parents."

Well, Ms. Rosin, that is news to me. I guess my sons' swim team coach will be shocked to hear that he isn't a coach. Oh, and their teachers at co-op will be disappointed to find out that they aren't teachers even though both of them are degreed and certified. And my poor boys--apparently we have to give up all their friends since they are not supposed to have any peers.

I'll keep reading, though, because as Drew said, it is good to see how we're viewed by the outside. (And I cast a pretty broad net with that "we're." I'm afraid most people paint all homeschoolers with Ms. Rosin's brush.)

I'm only on page 50-something, but I'm actually finding it really interesting... I feel in many ways that I grew up in the type of home school culture she's describing -- I even volunteered during Mike Farris' run for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia (I think I was a sophomore in high school then), attended a pro-life convention in DC as a reporter for a local Christian radio station where I worked for a summer, and got all excited about getting to shake hands with Alan Keyes. ;) Patrick Henry was being talked of when I went off to college, but it didn't materialize until a few years later. (I turned 18 in 1996, but the college opened in 2000 -- by which time I had graduated, married, had a baby, and was "lobbying" for another, lol...)

Much of what Rosin describes rings very true for me. And, lol, I wasn't even home schooled for the three years I attended high school! Yes, some things are over-stated. I always had coaches and teachers and church/youth leaders outside my home... But I also find most of her observations very astute and accurate -- especially for those of us who were home schooled in the late 80s and 90s and who reached our teen years at a time when conservative Christians were becoming a loud voice in American politics.

Yes, her view is totally that of an outsider. It's a different perspective than one would get sending in a more sympathetic observer. But so far, it's one I find fascinating and not far from the truth...

Yes, her view is totally that of an outsider. It's a different perspective than one would get sending in a more sympathetic observer. But so far, it's one I find fascinating and not far from the truth...

I agree, I just wish she was more clear that all Christian homeschooers are not in lock step with Mike Farris and Patrick Henry College.

• 2 weeks later...

and found some truth in it, but I mostly just shrugged it off. The things she described *weren't* bad things. They may have sounded a little pathetic in the book, but heck, that's the way a lot of homeschoolers really live and talk, and I'm not going to smirk at them. They're kind and decent people. Even Ms. Rosin admits that.

You can make anything seem silly and pathetic through clever writing. However, the students at PHC aren't pathetic -- they're very, very intelligent, very skilled in many areas -- and young. They're going to sound goofy at times, and make mistakes. I would hate it if someone had tape-recorded me at age 18 and written my idiotic speeches down in a book.

I personally think PHC has been through a lot -- most significantly, the turmoil over the professors who left and the casting of all their hopes on a Republican administration which has disappointed them -- and it has made everyone more careful and wary. I've been pleased with the changes I've seen there. PHC is depending less on the things of this world (like approval from politicians) and more on the things of God.

and found some truth in it, but I mostly just shrugged it off. The things she described *weren't* bad things. They may have sounded a little pathetic in the book, but heck, that's the way a lot of homeschoolers really live and talk, and I'm not going to smirk at them. They're kind and decent people. Even Ms. Rosin admits that.

You can make anything seem silly and pathetic through clever writing. However, the students at PHC aren't pathetic -- they're very, very intelligent, very skilled in many areas -- and young. They're going to sound goofy at times, and make mistakes. I would hate it if someone had tape-recorded me at age 18 and written my idiotic speeches down in a book.

I personally think PHC has been through a lot -- most significantly, the turmoil over the professors who left and the casting of all their hopes on a Republican administration which has disappointed them -- and it has made everyone more careful and wary. I've been pleased with the changes I've seen there. PHC is depending less on the things of this world (like approval from politicians) and more on the things of God.

I think the young people came through the writing quite well. In spite of some obvious bial on the author's part, these kids' light could not be hidden under a bushel.

I did find the situation with the professors sad. I wonder if Michael Farris really treated them fairly? I felt like, if the book is accurate, he acted in a narrow minded way.

What do you think? Do you think Mr. Farris was right? Or do you think he was stifling the professors?

I think his point was that some of the professors were esteeming the writings of men as highly as Scripture. The college had been founded as a Christian college above all -- it was classical, but Christian more importantly -- and there were people teaching things that I as a Christian was in strong disagreement with. The parents of the PHC students trusted the administration to keep their children safe from professors who might twist their thoughts and turn them away from the straight and narrow path. Dealing with philosophical issues might flatter the intellect, but it doesn't lead a person to Christ.

I'm pleased that Dr. Farris took the stand he did, and I think the majority of students and parents were too, once the turmoil settled down. The college has hired good professors to replace the resigned ones and it has an excellent new president (who by the way was not brought in because Dr. Farris was forced out or anything -- Dr. Farris had wanted to step aside and give the running of the college to someone else so that he could do other tasks, and the college had been searching for someone for some time before this issue even arose). I think God has blessed PHC for Dr. Farris's strong stand.

Obviously, that's my personal view. Others are free to feel differently. I don't want to debate with anyone about "academic freedom" or the importance of teaching students to see different viewpoints. I just wrote this in answer to Kelli's question.

I'm pleased that Dr. Farris took the stand he did, and I think the majority of students and parents were too, once the turmoil settled down. .

I want to thank your for taking the time to answer me! I really appreciate your perspective, the book obviously only shows one side and I really like hearing from both sides.