Menu

Pool - salt water or regular?

We are looking at purchasing a pool for next year. We are the organic eating, avoid chemicals as much as possible types. Is there really a big difference between using the salt water solution for cleaning over the regular chlorine solutions? The guy told me that the salt water solutions that I add convert something to chlorine. So is it basically the same then?

The price goes up quite a bit for getting a resin pool over the steel and then it needs a special generator or something.

Anyone have any experience or info on this?

it's not chlorine but I don't know what they do use.

We went to Great Wolf Lodge this weekend. The water tasted like a salty solution, but not like the ocean, not that strong. I personally liked swimming in it. I always sink when I float and this water held me up!

Well, let me say that once my eyes were no longer bothered by the water I enjoyed it.

Salt water pools are awesome and feel really good to swim in. They also make curly hair look really nice when I am done swimming!

They were very popular around here for a while. However, people are now finding that the salt interacts with the mortar used around the pool and it is causing many people's decking to crack. I would discuss with a pool contractor the differen types of approved "salt water" decking.

We swam in a bromine pool the other day. It was AWESOME and even better than the salt water pools we've been in before.

Salt! Absolutely.

We built our pool five years ago. When it was time to decide, we did some research and opted for salt. It was the best decision we ever made.

In a chlorine pool, you pour several gallons of chlorine into your pool all at once almost every week. It's nearly impossible to use it on the same day you do that. For the next few days, the chlorine dissipates slowly until it gets too low, your pool is about to go green, and you do it all again. Chlorine is a known carcinogen. The less you are in contact with, the better. It also irritates the lungs and eyes.

With a salt pool, the salt turns very slowly into chlorine in minute amounts -- just enough to keep your pool perfectly clean, not enough that you are aware of it in any way.

There is never any chlorine that you can detect in the water. Your hair doesn't turn to hay, your never come out with bloodshot eyes. You certainly can't smell any. The kids don't need to rinse off after the pool. The water in the shower has more chlorine than what they just came out of.

The water is like pasta water. You can barely taste the salt -- not like ocean water.

We love our pool! We threw in a heater and it's year-round delicious.

Edited by tdeveson

Regarding the reaction to mortar, they will use non-reactive stuff when they build your salt pool. Ours is five years old and looks exactly like when we had it built. I can see how the salt would damage some materials. All our plumbing is PVC or whatever that white pipe is made of. No metal parts. I'm sure the salt would eat that.

I've never been in a salt water pool before. Does it hurt your eyes?

On the contrary. It's just about as salty as you are, so it's the most comfortable water for your eyes. It's like saline solution, which is what the doctor would use to clean your eyes. Plain water would irritate them.

So forgive my ignorance but the salt water does turn to chlorine - the same chlorine that would be part of the chemical system, but just a lot less of it correct? So it too would be carcinogenic but in minute amounts.

For those of you that did go with the salt water, did you purchase the resin pool? The dealer said that the resin pool has steel wall, the same as the steel pool, but the supports were plastic as opposed to the steel. But the supports aren't in contact with the water. He would be inclined to go with the steel pool, but if I used salt water in it, it would void the warrenty.

We are pretty far north. He didn't mention mortar at all. The base of the pool will be gravel and then crusher dust to level it. Then the pool. If that is what and where you mean.

Thanks so much for your insight. I definitely am leaning toward the salt water now!