Menu

Need help to regroup after our canceled Disney trip...

... now I have an IMPOSSIBLE choice. Here is the situation: My dh's week in Orlando on business (and our trip to Disney) was rescheduled from Sept. 21 until October 12. They will be closing that Orlando training facility at the year's end so there will be no more company paid trips there. It's now or never. Despite the fact that Disney tickets will cost double during that week since Homeschool Days fares will no longer be valid, we could save and scrimp and possibly still go with him. But, alas, that week in October is the week my dd is scheduled to take her PSAT exam. Oh my gosh. She has completed algebra 1 and 2 but is just taking geometry, and the PSAT has a lot of geometry and trig, so she will probably stink in the math section. So, how do we choose...family fun or the only chance to take the test? I am really battling a discouraged attitude today. :tongue_smilie:

It is only useful if she scores high enough to be a National Merit Scholar. There's a lot of scholarship money on the line. If she's not going to score well with so little geometry, I don't think I'd plan on the PSAT.

Also from what I've read, you can take the SAT and only have the score you like reported to colleges, like the ACT. But in talking to ladies who have had their children go to college, I've heard that college admissions automatically takes the best scores in each area anyway. So if you are taking the PSAT as a practice to the SAT... well there is value in the practice but it's not necessary.

If I didn't think my dd would score well on the PSAT, I don't think I'd pay for her to take it. I'd be planning a Disney vacation instead.

Of course, if this were actually my child, I'd be sitting agonizing over the choice just like you are! So I completely understand.

Is your dh's work paying for hotel and travel expenses? If you can afford the tickets for the parks for a couple of days and dh's work is paying hotel and travel I'd go on to Disney. Even if you can't afford to go to the parks everyday hanging out by the hotel pool in Florida is a good vacation too. Unless you think your dd is going to get a very high score on the PSAT, skip it and go for the trip.

I took the ACT and SAT twice each. I took the ACT and SAT, then did a computer aided study program. I then took the ACT and SAT again and scored higher on both by the same amount of points. Lesson learned - You do have alternatives to the PSAT and they do take only the highest scores from your SATs and ACTs.

Thought I would mention that I was a Straight A student that always did terrible on timed tests. The computer program was excellent because it timed each section for me to learn to pace myself. Oh, and yes I was an over achiever!

Edited by OneRoomSchoolHouse

Thank you all. I really appreciate your responses. It was a long week, and as I get older it seems to be harder to refocus. :001_huh: We tossed around the idea of dh taking a few days off this week and taking us somewhere, anywhere. But the same excitement and zeal just weren't there anymore. We talked to dd about the PSAT and she said, 'Honestly Mom, I don't believe that I will be strong enough in the math section to make it worth the effort this time around. And besides, I don't need a high test score to make me feel good about who I am." We all feel better! So we are getting a refund from Disney for the homeschool days tickets we bought. Dh's company will pay for the October trip (car rental and hotel) as before, and we can save the rest of the money we will need by being frugal at the store and staying out of craft shops! :D Dd is planning to take the ACT in the spring, so hopefully we can get her up to speed with geometry by then. Many thanks for your encouragement. I'm packing my Disney bags again!!