Menu

Wow -- I guess this makes me think twice about how I return grocery carts

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,337012,00.html

When the boys are with me, I have them buckle up, then I load the groceries in, then I lock the door, then I return the cart to the corral, then I return to the car.

I guess I could now get arrested for doing so.

Sounds like she made the police mad.

Btw, I don't carts to the corral when my son is with me unless it is right next to me. I do however, take an empty one into the store as I go in to shop. I don't think what this mother did was neglectful. She just drew too much attention to herself by parking in a loading zone and turning on her flashers.

This is ridiculous. Much of parenting is common sense--and she clearly used it, but is somehow being used as a guinea pig to prove a point. Trials like this are a waste of time, tax payer money, and emotional strain for persons involved.

Texas has a 5 minute rule to allow children to be alone in car just for circumstances such as this.

I mean, how terrifying for the older children seeing their Mom arrested. This really makes me mad, don't they ever think about the "welfare" of the other children.

If this is a crime, I'm afraid I'm guilty on many counts. Mine are a little older now, but I would have probably done the same.

I'll play devil's advocate here..

Part of me wonders why she even went out in that kind of weather if it wasn't for an emergency or neccessity. Dropping change off to the Salvation Army--while commendable--was not neccessary, especially if one child had to be "left behind" (so to speak). I certainly would not have gone out in that weather if my thought process was "it's sleeting out but I can still take the kids, the sleeping one stays in the car". Nope.

The other part of me, while it does slightly agree with the bad side(grin), says that this officer was just looking for a fight, what she did was certainly not endangerment and if flippin' CPS dismissed the charges as "unfounded" why the hell can't the police?

She IS guilty of lack of common sense--I honestly do not believe any of you would take your children out in sleeting weather, knowing full well a child may possibly fall asleep and then pull, illegally, in to a lane you don't belong in, and then proceed to lock the child in the car. This was not a case of her "just dropping of the cart" -- we ALL do that. This was a case of her being parked illegally, for which she drew attention to by putting on her hazards and then proceeding to leave a child in a locked running car.

And while I am guilty of the last part as well--I certainly did not do it parked illegally or in sleeting weather.

So no, I don't believe any of you would have "done the same". I think most here have more common sense than that. But I also believe this cop was an asshat and deserves to well--nevermind.. ;)

I can only wish that every car that parks in the front of a store (usually called the FIRE LANE) would get towed....or ticketed!!!!! You don't know how many times this happens....I guess these people feel special or something.... As you can see....this is my biggest pet peeve when going to Publix!

She is from Illinois....People go out in it all the time to run errands. Seriously unless a blizzard was happening I never postponed errands when we lived in Chicago. N. Illinois has been going through a rough winter and if you waited for it to be warm and nice out you wouldn't be going anywhere. It isn't Florida. :-)

Nope, not in my book she isn't.

Well, you can believe otherwise now.:)

No, I can't and won't Colleen. She lacked common sense by PARKING in a place she should not be PARKING in. That lane is used ONLY for pickup. NOT parking. And if she had to think "it's sleeting, child is asleep, lock doors"--then Yes, she should have used common sense enough to park in the right place and take child out OR not go until she could make a safer decision.

I did NOT say you shouldn't leave during Sleet. I drive during Hurricanes!!! But I've enough common sense to know that if I have to put my child at any kind of risk (parking illegally, locking doors and walking away)--they don't go with me or I don't go.

Sorry. I won't bend on this one and you won't make me. She lacked common sense in that area alone. And the cop needs a good (w)itch slapping.

She lacked common sense by PARKING in a place she should not be PARKING in. That lane is used ONLY for pickup. NOT parking.

Then she should have received a parking ticket and not be arrested. A parking violation is very different then a child endangerment charge.

Colleen...can you tell me how to 'pick out certain quotes' from a post and paste it into your reply (as you did)....I don't know how to use that function yet, LOL!

A "quote" button appears on each post (when viewing the board in the hybrid mode, anyway). Click "quote" and the content of the post to which you're replying will come up in the message box. Just delete those portions you don't want to remain. The key is to make sure the word quote is in brackets right before the content you're quoting, and

is right after. Clear as mud?

I have often weighed in my mind the danger of having 5 children under the age of 10 exit a vehicle and navigate through the traffic of a parking lot versus leaving them, buckled, in a locked car, and frankly I think they are safer in a locked car. I cannot have my hands on all 5 of them, because I have, well, two hands. I don't need a law telling me which risk is more acceptable to them. My 3 year old is a darter, and just today as my 13 year old got him out of the car, he ran around the car and to me before my 13 year old could grab him. Riskier than sitting in his seat which he can't get out of of? Heck, yeah.

A "quote" button appears on each post (when viewing the board in the hybrid mode, anyway).

Did that one work (above)?

The key is to make sure the word quote is in brackets right before the content you're quoting, and

is right after. Clear as mud?

So to get two in one post....do you just use the copy and paste feature from your keyboard? Because I don't see where you can keep going back and hitting quote and bringing in another quote.

We don't need to argue about whether or not she lacked common sense. You think she did, I think she didn't. We'll just agree to disagree on that score. But your belief that none of us would have done the same is wrong because I'm saying point blank I would've done the same (although I wouldn't have locked the car). I'm not trying to make you "bend"; I'm telling you your belief (that none of us would have done this) is wrong.

As far as why she went out, you said:

Part of me wonders why she even went out in that kind of weather if it wasn't for an emergency or neccessity.
and

I've enough common sense to know that if I have to put my child at any kind of risk (parking illegally, locking doors and walking away)--they don't go with me or I don't go.

She didn't believe she was putting her child at a risk, that's why she went.

And then I suppose, while I DO NOT advocate her arrest, I would have to say Colleen, that you would have been punished for doing it, if you did it the way she did.

I mean while I have driven in hurricanes, I wouldn't take my kids out in one just to drop off a jug full of money and take pictures--I've no words for what that sounds like to me. And I have to say I AM surprised that at least two of you would have done something like this--under these same circumstances....

I AM NOT talking about putting your kid in the car and carseat, so you could safely load groceries--I would not be arguing if that was all it was.

For what she did, while I DO NOT feel her arrest was needed, she did lack common sense and just did not think.

Sleet is NOT equal to a hurricane. It would just be like rain mixed with cold temps. People run errands out in the rain all of the time. If you can avoid taking your child out and not getting them wet...you do it. That is common sense. If she was going into the store then she would have gotten her kid out. I take my kids to the library but if it is snowing I will park and go to the drop box by myself and leave the kids in the car. Using the unloading/loading zone so she could unload donations seems fine by me. Ticket her for parking illegally she was wrong (but I am not even sure parking there was illegal) but it is common sense to try and keep your child out of the cold.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-crestwood13dec13,1,4315152.story

From the story:

"My 2-year-old had fallen fast asleep," Coyne said. "It was sleeting, and I said, 'I'm not going to risk carrying my kid and falling.'"

Bolding mine--but she can risk other things? Sorry...

However.. this is where I change my tune a bit towards the more sympathetic to her, also from the story:

She assumed the other girls were in police custody.

But they weren't.

"The police abandoned my other daughters at the Wal-Mart," said Janecyk, who eventually found them seated on a bench in the Wal-Mart. "I asked them why they didn't ask for help, but they said the police scared them."

Bolding also mine--the police LEFT her kids at walmart--ALONE and in front of walmart and NO ONE who witnessed this tried to help them!!!!!!

Now, if I were her, forgetting her careless logic, I would not only have some cops arse in a sling--I'd own walmart as well.

I just figured they had been out anyway -- perhaps even had just come from Dad's office or whatever where they acquired the coins. Who cares why she went out -- it's her right to go out in the sleet.

She also wasn't parked illegally in a fire lane -- or did I miss that part?

She was arrested because some idiot thought she endangered her child.

Did you read how the statistic was given about HOW MANY children die in cars? And how many of them were left 10 yards away for less than 5 minutes?

Where is the logic? The children who die in cars die from being left in 110 degree cars for more than 5 minutes -- perhaps even an 8-hour work shift. This lady did not endanger her child -- it sounds like someone was having a bad day.

but she can risk other things?

What was the risk? Can someone please point out to me the risk?

Okay, perhaps someone could walk up to the car, point a gun inside and shoot her sleeping daughter?

The same risk exists for any of us going anywhere -- or not going anywhere for that matter.

The lady gets an A for common sense in my book.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-crestwood13dec13,1,4315152.story

From the story:

Bolding mine--but she can risk other things? Sorry...

Bolding also mine--the police LEFT her kids at walmart--ALONE and in front of walmart and NO ONE who witnessed this tried to help them!!!!!!

Now, if I were her, forgetting her careless logic, I would not only have some cops arse in a sling--I'd own walmart as well.

I think it showed wisdom to not risk falling which is far more likely then some stranger carjacking her vehicle in a busy walmart lot where officers were present. ;)

In the previous article it stated that her husband showed up while she was in the squad car. But if this article is true the fact that the officers didn't even take care of the kids she was supposedly "endangering". Good Grief. :banghead:

She also wasn't parked illegally in a fire lane -- or did I miss that part?

Yes you missed that part. She was parked in Walmart's "Loading Zone" which is clearly marked with "no parking loading zone" on it in big yellow letters. It also states "fire lane" at the very front, in front of the doors. Which means she was either parked directly in front of the doors--which is a violation-- or she wasn't "just feet" away, as the bell ringers are usually right in front of the doors and she would have had to park more than "just feet" away to not be blocking the doors.

And I never said she actually endangered her child (I presume you are speaking to me--who lives in the "locked in car 110* weather dead child capital")(next to texas maybe), I said she did not use common sense by parking and doing things the way she did.

I think it showed wisdom to not risk falling which is far more likely then some stranger carjacking her vehicle in a busy walmart lot where officers were present.

I would not bet on this one. We've more carjackings in front of community service officers/cops in parking los than one thinks. Maybe ancedotal, but I would certainly not bet on this being more true over something else.

And c'est la vie. I think the woman lacked common sense. She certainly did not deserve arrest and I do hope she gets her justice from that, but she did lack common sense.

I take my kids to the library but if it is snowing I will park and go to the drop box by myself and leave the kids in the car. Using the unloading/loading zone so she could unload donations seems fine by me.

I do this regardless of the weather. 99 percent of the time, when I return at the library, I also pick up, so we go inside. When I only have to return and the boys are with me, I lock the door, return them in the drop box and return to my car.

I also leave them in the car when I return a movie at Blockbuster's drop-off slot.

Someone come arrest me for endangering my kids!

How far from the car could she have possibly been?

Depends. If she was parked in front of the doors, right behind the bell ringer (or in front of them if you will--so it's car/bellringer) then only a very few.

But since the spot directly in front of the bell ringer is clearly marked as a fire lane, which is illegal to park in at any time, she'd have to move a few feet up(in fact!! The first article stated this!!) so she was at least 10 feet away from her car (read the article people--it states this as well).

10 feet is far enough away for something to happen. That's for sure. So as I did say I agreed with--an illegally parked ticket maybe? She was clearly parked and in an illegal spot (she wasn't loading/unloading and she was in or near the fire zone)...

But arrest her? I agreed that was too much.

Ok I'll say it more clearly, so fling that rep-- READ THE ARTICLE ALL THE WAY THROUGH!! It clearly states where she was parked, what she did to park and why she did it.

Here, I'll save you the hassle:

Even as she buckled 2-year-old Phoebe into the car, the girl was asleep. When Coyne arrived at the store, she found a spot to park in a loading zone, right behind someone tying a Christmas tree onto a car.

and

So Coyne switched on the emergency flashers, locked the car, activated the alarm and walked the other children to the bell ringer.

I would not bet on this one. We've more carjackings in front of community service officers/cops in parking los than one thinks. Maybe ancedotal, but I would certainly not bet on this being more true over something else.

But the fact is that all these are very remote chances statistically. What is the likelihood that she is holding the sleeping child, slips, falls, and the child suffers a head injury? What is the likelihood that a carjacker happens upon her car *at that moment* and in spite of the lock and alarm, makes off with the car? What is the likelihood that a meteor hits the WalMart parking lot in the fire lane? The point is they are all remote possibilities, and so choosing to take one risk (i.e., whatever risk there is to having a child sleeping in the carseat for 5 minutes without supervision) instead of another (taking child out in cold, slippery parking lot) is not an unreasonable course of action.

10 feet is far enough away for something to happen.

What? What exactly is the risk to a child sleeping in a carseat? And also, how is it worse than whatever level of risk there is to my Cecilia right now who is napping in her crib. I am downstairs, so more like, oh, 60 or 80 feet from her. I check on her every 20 minutes or so, which is longer than it took this woman to drop off the money. Why is what I am doing OK but what she did wrong?

You said 10 feet is far enough away for something to happen......LIKE WHAT?

Tammy--I say this respectfully because I do like you and have no ill against you but..

You honestly have to ask a question like that? You honestly have to question what could happen? Remote possibility or not--things CAN and DO happen.

Yes I am asking....because I don't get it. If you are talking about getting carjacked.....why would her chances of getting carjacked be higher in that situation? Her chances of getting carjacked are the same as everyone in the parking lot.....

You honestly have to ask a question like that? You honestly have to question what could happen? Remote possibility or not--things CAN and DO happen.

*Things* can happen in or outside of a car. There is risk inherent to life. The question is which risk do you choose? Do you choose the risk of walking in wet/slippery weather or the risk of leaving a sleeping child in a locked car 10 feet from you? Do you choose the risk of going outside, where you could die from a bee sting, lightening, a car accident, a terrorist attack, or do you never leave your house, where statistically most accidents occur? You cannot eliminate risk.