Menu

Is there such thing as an educational consultant 2 help you plan dcs education

Blessedfamily

How about one who specializes in alternative education for gifted kids? If there is, I could sure use one.

DD is just all over the place, and I could use some advice (other than the very, very helpful people here). I'm always thinking, "Where are we headed??"

Or maybe what I really need is more planning time. Lots more.

Or maybe I'm already doing too much planning????

Perhaps what you really need is some perspective and to define for yourself your philosophy of eduction.

The perspective I have of your situation, gleaned from a mere post on a forum and your signature line, is that you have a bright, inquisitive child who possibly is progressing at different rates in different areas. That is normal. All kids are like that -- it is just that we are programed by traditional schools to expect all children to reach the same arbitrary benchmarks at the same arbitrary ages. Some gifted kids have more extreme discrepancies in their learning -- they are way advanced in some things yet still incapable of something basic. Such as a 7 year old who loves advanced science but can't tie his shoes, or a 12 year old reading at college level but unable to write about a 1st grade level. I speak from experience here!! I've lived to tell the tale and graduate that kid! The trick isn't that you need to plan or have an educational coach tell you what to do. The trick is to meet your child where she is at and simply go from there. As long as there is progress in the weak and strong areas, and as long as she is happy and engaged, you are doing the right things. There are always discrepancies -- aren't we all more talented in one area or another?

The question of "where are we headed" should be answered with some philosophical thinking. Why are you homeschooling? What does being educated mean to you? What kind of young person do you want to set loose in the world 10 or more years from now? Do SAT scores and admission to a good college matter most or is it more important that your child discover her talents and develop them? What about character -- is that important?

Think about those questions, then write out a mission statement for yourself and put it in a planning binder so you can refer to it each year or any time you are banging your head against the wall trying to figure out why you are doing this!

Most of all, don't forget that your children are young and this is a fun stage. Enjoy it now, don't be looking for things to worry about because they will cause you plenty of worry in their teen years!

So, what do you think? Do I have a future as an "Educational Consultant"?:D

Yeah, science.

I was lamenting to Kay in Cal, either in my post further down on this board or in an e-mail, that there is a dearth of science available for the middle years. Not necessarily middle school, but that middle time between learning all the elementary basics of science and being ready for serious high school level science.

I personally wasn't ready to reduce science down to dry text book, terminology driven science during that middle gap. While learning the vocabulary of science is critical, why kill the love of a subject, especially during a developmental stage when kids tend to shut down on higher brain functions due to puberty and hormones?

I came to this conclusion in part because of the posts from a homeschool mom and college science teacher who steadfastly believed that formal science study should wait until high school. That observing and enjoying nature, reading science magazines and books, were all that was needed to keep that child-like curiosity and creativity alive -- qualities that scientists need. She was frustrated by the students in her freshman science classes who had no clue about the natural world because they had long ago stopped paying attention to the sky or to plants or bugs or animals, had stopped being inquisitive. She found that her students all dreaded science, that it was a subject to be endured and gotten out of the way, and she was convinced that her students were reduced to this by too many textbooks from too early an age.

Staying away from formal science until high school served us well, though I have heard that there are a few good programs out there which people have used and liked, such as Singapore and Rainbow Science. You have to do what fits you and your kids, but don't be afraid to step outside of the box!

I have been using Dr. Nebel's book as guide for what subjects to cover, while letting dd pick whatever living books she wants.

I just ordered the whole Singapore MPH program, which isn't exactly chocked full of info, but has excellent processing/thinking activies. We'll just jump in and out of their texts (which are thin anyway) and do the activities and Higher Order Thinking Book..

To be completely honest, none of it will be new, but we will consider it all from every angle we can think of! I'm even going to make a white lab coat and get her some goggles. She likes dress-up!

We did use some of the recommended WTM materials, but also used NASA Sci Files. Some of the videos are a little hokey, but the teachers guides are just great and experiments are very doable. There are years worth of them available and you can easily pick topics based on interest or subject (earth science, physics, astronomy--not much chemistry, unfortunately). Best of all, free! Also, NIH offers a number of free modules on various science topics geared for pre-high school. Dd also enjoyed some of the "WOrld of..." books (Tools, light & sound, etc.) A lot of working with paper models, etc., which she always enjoyed.

For chemistry in 7th grade we used the Chem 3000 set. Just the thing if you want to blow up your basement. Be sure to price check, as different sites offer very different prices.

Danielle

All right, I know this is a bit off subject but I gave up on middle school sci for my sciencey 7th grader and went straight to high school biology. Seems to be working ok. Science has been the toughest thing for us to figure out. Homeschooling science is not that great if you are not interested in learning and learning and learning some more about creationism.

Yeah, science.

I was lamenting to Kay in Cal, either in my post further down on this board or in an e-mail, that there is a dearth of science available for the middle years. Not necessarily middle school, but that middle time between learning all the elementary basics of science and being ready for serious high school level science.

Yeah, I'm having this problem. My kids love and adore science. We're doing physics this year, and so far it's a big hit--my husband has been teaching them about electricity lately. What do I do next year with a 5th grader who is well into logic stage already and who looks forward to science like it was Christmas? Dissect things, I guess? I want a really good, indepth science program for logic stage (not creationist-focused). Somebody help me!

Yeah, I'm having this problem. My kids love and adore science. We're doing physics this year, and so far it's a big hit--my husband has been teaching them about electricity lately. What do I do next year with a 5th grader who is well into logic stage already and who looks forward to science like it was Christmas? Dissect things, I guess? I want a really good, indepth science program for logic stage (not creationist-focused). Somebody help me!

I could have written this blurb, except I'm the one teaching about electricity, not dh. ;)

I'm so disappointed with everything I've looked at so far. None of it seems appropriately challenging as well as the secular approach I demand. So... I'm pinning my hopes on the CTY program. I hate that, because I haven't done anything for it, and dd said she wanted to wait and take the SCAT after Christmas. I'm cool with that, it is her choice, but I worry about scrambling if she misses the cut-off scores, yk? But they have middle school science, so if we can manage to swing the tuition, that's where we'll go. Dd likes the idea because she can accelerate her science if she follows the "recommended time" or whatever it's listed as - the middle school science courses are each listed at 3 months.

I also really want to get the Thames & Kosmos Milestones in Science kit and put together a history of science course for her & her friend (who does science with her).

http://www.digitalfrog.com/products/frog.html

That looks great! We have a few years to go in grammar stage yet, but I have already been thinking about where to go next in logic stage (what can I say, I'm a planner :D). We are a bit ahead in the cycle - ds5 is doing SOTW 2 and earth/space science this year. Right now I'm planning on doing chem next year and physics after that, but that will put us done with the first cycle when ds is 7. I'm not sure he'll be ready for logic stage then, so I think we're going to do an extra year of grammar stage learning about prehistory, paleontology, and maybe archealogy. If he is still not ready, well, we'll deal with that then, lol.

I'd love to hear any thoughts (but please don't tell me I'm rushing him - I'm actually slowing him down).

:bigear: