Menu

SOTW Audio Book/ Not Jim Weiss

scrapbabe

I think at one time there were versions of SOTW 1 and 2 read by a lady named Barbara something (for some reason I can't remember her last name) but they are no longer made. I don't think she ever did SOTW 3 or 4.

It's a bummer because I tried the Jim Weiss ones and my kids hated it they think he's got a creepy voice.

Yes, I agree he's creepy. My 12 year old does this impersonation "hi, I read Story of the World and I'm the most boring guy alive."

He cracks me up.

I want to use SOTW 3 but want the audio cds. My throat tires after reading out loud for too long. But I don't know if we can handle listening to "the most boring guy alive".

Smiles,

Shalynn

• 1 month later...

So I'm not the only one that hates Jim Weiss's reading of SOTW? I just don't think I can take it. I think his voice is too deep, raspy and after about 30min listening in the car, my ears actually hurt. Sorry Jim but that's the way the cookie crumbles. My friend loves his other audiobooks but thinks he over did it w/ SOTW.

chant

We want Barbara. We want Barbara. We want Barbara.

Capt_Uhura

• 2 weeks later...
I always seem to be the "oddball" :D. We LOVE SOTW cd's with Jim Weiss doing the reading! Ds and I could listen to his voice all day.:lol: In fact we did yesterday when we were doing the end of the quarter review of ch 1-15 of the Middle Ages.

Dog-pile on Mammaruss :D

I always seem to be the "oddball" :D. We LOVE SOTW cd's with Jim Weiss doing the reading! Ds and I could listen to his voice all day.:lol: In fact we did yesterday when we were doing the end of the quarter review of ch 1-15 of the Middle Ages.

Diverting somewhat from the topic, but I like this - what else did you guys do while you were listening? Did you require some kind of feedback from your DS on the audio?

I have to admit, though... I'm not a huge fan of Jim Weiss' reading either.

I always seem to be the "oddball" :D. We LOVE SOTW cd's with Jim Weiss doing the reading! Ds and I could listen to his voice all day.:lol:

I'll be an oddball with you. :D We bought the audiobook for SOTW1 before Jim Weiss was doing these, and I really want to replace it. (I'll probably wait until next year, though, when D starts the SOTW cycle. B & T are almost on SOTW 4.) None of us here are terribly fond of Barbara Allan Johnson's readings. :tongue_smilie:

Diverting somewhat from the topic, but I like this - what else did you guys do while you were listening? Did you require some kind of feedback from your DS on the audio?

I have to admit, though... I'm not a huge fan of Jim Weiss' reading either.

Ds was painting, playing with legos, eating......He likes to stay busy when listening--which drives me nuts because I am the opposite:001_huh:. We stopped the cd after every few chapters and he would narrate or we would just have good discussions--just kept it light and fun. This was just a review, so he has already completed the ?? and some projects from the AG. I want to do another review at the end of the next quarter, etc....so that he will end up listening to the entire cd collection a few more times. He enjoys history and would do it all day, every day if I let him!!