Menu

These would make it so much easier...

Annabel Lee

I got something that would work like that at IKEA. I forgot what it's called but it's that sort of "tic tac toe" bookshelf. You can buy drawers and cabinet faces, too. I'm just using it as a shelf w/boxes in some cubbies (also IKEA) right now. I think the cubby-esque shelf was $169. Of course, everything else is extra.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675

There's a smaller one as well. I think another family I know uses the smaller one - one per kid. Dreamy.

They actually have a lot of usable stuff. It is helping me keep organized.

Aaaaagh! I've lost my ability to dream.:tongue_smilie: How deep are those bottom bases? I'm picturing leaning in and pulling one of those large baskets (they'd be heavy at my house) out on my head. It's not a graceful vision and I'm picturing things spilling out. But that ledge-now there's a perfect place for one of my short kids to stand on and pull out one of those heavy baskets out, spilling it's contents. Short child will most likely forget to take track spikes off before standing on ledge.

How do short children and senile mothers know what's in those baskets that are heavy and hard to reach? Labels-we need labels. Do you stand in those equipment bins on top of the soccer and tennis balls to reach those expensive, fragile microscopes? How about those big, deep drawers that could house 10,000 pieces of Legos each? You could lose your cat or small dog in there.

You all see organization and beauty. I see danger and frustration written all over those shelves. I would bet that each of you have a safer, more efficient, more workable arrangement at home. Kid-friendly if not photographer-friendly. :D

I got something that would work like that at IKEA. I forgot what it's called but it's that sort of "tic tac toe" bookshelf. You can buy drawers and cabinet faces, too.

I think it's called 'Expedit' -- I really like the looks of it -- I watch them on Craigslist, but I don't want to bring anything else in until we rip out the former owner's wall-to-wall and put down a laminate floor.

Yes, the rooms are beautiful. My collection of Walmart and hammedown shelves, desks and bins doesn't have quite the same charm. Maybe if I worked fulltime we could afford them, but then I wouldn't need them because we wouldn't be homeschooling!

Exactly. Like I said, I'm just dreaming - I've wanted those particular shelves for years, but it's become more apparent that there will never be a good time to spend $2,000+ on a wall system. I could build one myself for less than that! If only all that plywood would even fit in my house! lol

ETA: thanks for the tips on Co. Kids, IKEA (I wonder what they charge to ship to Alaska?), and Craigslist!

Edited by Annabel Lee

The very first PBK catalog had the most *beautiful* school room in it. A red and cream tufted wool chessboard rug (with stuffed chess people, so you could actually play), and water-color look hanging murals of castles, and a beautiful armoire for books and supplies. I tore the picture out and kept it for years as my "dream school room". ;)

My PBK catalog hits the recycling bucket before I even open it. I found all that dreaming wasn't very helpful. I just repainted our schoolroom (also the breakfast room) and kept the ugly table and hutch I can't stand. The paint has done wonders for the feel in here and a pretty tablecloth covers the hideous table. The hutch is covered in books. Perhaps we'll be able to afford something fancy when the girls are grown and I don't need it anymore! Sigh...now I'm thinking of those shelves and tidy baskets....

Will it make you feel any better if I remind you that all of those items contain formaldehyde and/or various other toxic chemicals that will off-gas? :p

Actually it does. But these are made of solid real wood, not particle board. I think. I assume - because there are other pix on the site of the dovetail joints. I don't know what the finishes they use have in them though. Phooey.

Yes, normally my PBT catalog goes straight to the recycle bin too, and I don't know why I had to open it up and see that they still sell those shelf units I wanted years ago. I'm in the middle of trying to organize things around here so these looked especially appealing. Oh well.