Menu

Waterboarding? No, try teaching a child to read!

PollyOR

Torture! Teaching my 7yodd to read has been pure torture.:ack2::smash:

May I ask what you are using to teach reading?

I thought it was torture when I was teaching my oldest. I used 100EZ and WRTR (what SWR is based on).

Then I purchased Sing, Spell, Read, Write and have used it with the rest of my kids. Teaching reading is now my favorite part of homeschooling.

So.....perhaps it isn't the teaching to read.....maybe it is what you are using.

I taught my eldest to read sort of the way OPG does. However, my middle daughter was having none of it. She could not care less about reading flash cards and was easily bored. She'd read the first few from a word family correctly "ran, pan, man" then she'd get bored and just throw in whatever "elephant? fish? banana?" One day I sat down with the flash cards and a bowl of m&ms. I said "you get one candy for each word you read correctly on the first try." She did the whole stack, no problem. I ordered Sing, Spell, Read and Write the next day. It was much more entertaining for her and less painful for me.

Oh, I think it is a plateau, BUT I will happily look into the programs you've suggested. We're using Rod & Staff which combines phonics and sight words. We just started on long vowel sounds which is the problem.

This kid is unique. She seems to have problems with language. Curious George was "monkey George", Santa was "Ho, Ho", and ground beef was "meat noodles." She knows what she wants to say but sometimes has to find creative alternatives to get it out.

Thanks for listening. Tomorrow will be a better day. :)

We're using Rod & Staff which combines phonics and sight words. We just started on long vowel sounds which is the problem.

The sight words may be the problem. Too many of them makes it a lot harder to learn the phonics.

Here's why and how to teach all but 5 of the most commonly taught sight words phonetically:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

It's painful to teach some of my remedial students who have had a bunch of sight words. And, the older they are, the harder it is because they have been exposed to sight words longer.

Torture! Teaching my 7yodd to read has been pure torture.:ack2::smash:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I *wish* I could afford Sing, Spell, Read, and Write or something fun, but I can't. And I'm just not creative when it comes to making up games and things.

I felt that way with ds #1. He was an amazing 'word' kid, but the technical side of learning to read was torture for both of us. I knew that once he got to a certain point, he would take off. I was right. After a year and a half of torture, he did. And now he inhales books.

OTOH, I thought ds #2 would read much later because he didn't talk much or like books and stories in the way his older brother did. I was wrong. He started learning on his own before he turned 4, and the learning to read process was *painless.* Go figure.

Oh, my goodness, tell me about it...

rrrrr...aaaa....nnnnn.....

rrrrrrrrrrrrr....aaaaaaaa......nnnnnnnnnnnnn.............

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....

I just wanted to scream, "RAN!!!! The cat RAN!!!!!" My tongue used to bleed listening to dc sound out words. It doesn't really matter what program you use - I've used plenty - you still have to sit there and listen to them start to read books at some point. Day after day. And It. Is. Mind. Numbing. I cannot imagine teaching a child I didn't love to read. Love made it tolerable.

Oh, my goodness, tell me about it...

rrrrr...aaaa....nnnnn.....

rrrrrrrrrrrrr....aaaaaaaa......nnnnnnnnnnnnn.............

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....

I just wanted to scream, "RAN!!!! The cat RAN!!!!!" My tongue used to bleed listening to dc sound out words. It doesn't really matter what program you use - I've used plenty - you still have to sit there and listen to them start to read books at some point. Day after day. And It. Is. Mind. Numbing. I cannot imagine teaching a child I didn't love to read. Love made it tolerable.

Oh my goodness...where is the "spewing liquid" smilie?! My water nearly went out through my nose! :w00t:

Yep...only love....:iagree: