Menu

Making chicken pot pie

What can I use for the creaminess (is that a word??) instead of cream of chicken soup? I usually boil chicken, potatoes, peas, and carrots and mix them w/soup.

Thanks,

Chelle

I don't like using those "cream of" soups because they are sooo high in sodium. Here's a mix I make up in bulk to use as a substitute:

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 low sodium instant chicken broth powder

2 T dried onion flakes

1 t each dried basil and thyme (sometimes I just use 2t Italian seasoning)

1/2 t pepper

Store in a well-sealed contained until needed. Then use 1/3 cup mix with 1 1/2 cups of cold water. This equals one 15oz can of cream of chicken soup.

I make my own 'cream of chicken soup' by melting a couple of tablespoons of butter, stirring in a couple of tablespoons of flour and a chicken stock cube, then stirring in 1 1/2c water until the mixture is slightly thickened.

Yup, that's what I do, except I use stock instead of the cube/water. But I always have stock around.

I also sautee the chicken and veggies (except the potatoes), then add the butter, flour, and stock right to the pan. That way I know how much sauce there is compared to the chunks. (And, also, I am extremely lazy)

Yup, that's what I do, except I use stock instead of the cube/water. But I always have stock around.

I also sautee the chicken and veggies (except the potatoes), then add the butter, flour, and stock right to the pan. That way I know how much sauce there is compared to the chunks. (And, also, I am extremely lazy)

Right Angela, 'cause we all know that extremely lazy women make homemade chicken pot pie, instead of just buying a frozen one. :lol: