Menu

Our first day and I seriously need a glass of wine!

FairProspects

Oh my word! We started today (only K!) and it was crazy and terrible! Please tell me an adjustment period is normal!

I let D.S. choose if he wanted to do Math or Reading first and he chose Math, but I got nothing but attitude throughout the whole lesson (which, I might add, lasted only 10-15 minutes and was completely hands-on). He even wanted to rush through read-alouds, which we have been doing all summer and he loves. He just fought me and struggled all day (not just during school stuff but with whatever I wanted him to do).

We ran around at the park and everything, so I know we didn't have problems because he needed to get outside and move. Reading was better, because I waited until nearly 6:00pm after nap and snack and regularly scheduled Curious George. He seems to do so much better in the late afternoon/early evening. Is that really weird? DS somehow thinks mornings are for playing & after quiet time is much more willing to accept instruction.

I have no idea how we are going to work in history/literature/science. Please tell me this gets easier & that all K'ers have an adjustment period, because I still have 1 more week to enroll him at that huge, over-crowded elementary school down the street, and that option is looking better and better after today!!

Guest Lisa blessed with 2

:grouphug:[

Pray, Pray, Pray...remember...I can do all things through Christ who stregthens me. You can do this...everyone has the first day struggle. You will do fine...PERSEVERE!!!!!!

UOTE=FairProspects;1159232]Oh my word! We started today (only K!) and it was crazy and terrible! Please tell me an adjustment period is normal!

I let D.S. choose if he wanted to do Math or Reading first and he chose Math, but I got nothing but attitude throughout the whole lesson (which, I might add, lasted only 10-15 minutes and was completely hands-on). He even wanted to rush through read-alouds, which we have been doing all summer and he loves. He just fought me and struggled all day (not just during school stuff but with whatever I wanted him to do).

We ran around at the park and everything, so I know we didn't have problems because he needed to get outside and move. Reading was better, because I waited until nearly 6:00pm after nap and snack and regularly scheduled Curious George. He seems to do so much better in the late afternoon/early evening. Is that really weird? DS somehow thinks mornings are for playing & after quiet time is much more willing to accept instruction.

I have no idea how we are going to work in history/literature/science. Please tell me this gets easier & that all K'ers have an adjustment period, because I still have 1 more week to enroll him at that huge, over-crowded elementary school down the street, and that option is looking better and better after today!!

Go ahead and have some wine.

It will take a few weeks to really get your schedule working well. It may well be that it's not going to be a morning schedule - and that is the beauty of it! Do it every day after 6 p.m. if that's what he needs!

6 weeks to adjust. Maybe 8. Invest in those 1 cent wine sales!

I'd make sure to have consistent expectations. If you do the basics at the same time/place every day then he will eventually get into the swing of things. Maybe give him the option of doing whatever you want himself or helping him do it hand-over-hand. Hand-over-hand is a great strategy to get compliance without having a battle. It says to your child that this activity/self-help skill is going to be done either way, you just get to choose if I help you. It's like brushing teeth. Failing to brush teeth because you don't want to is not an option.

I would allow the next few weeks or so to work through the attitude issues. Maybe your goal for the next few weeks should be to do mom-directed work for x amount of time each morning. I think that this is realistic.

Making up a visual chart it might be helpful. First reading, then math, then play time, or whatever you want to do. He might be thinking that school will go on forever :001_smile:

Hang in there, mama! It does get easier and all K'ers have an adjustment period ;). New transitions take at least a month to sink in with my ds. Then, school is normal and it's weird when you don't do it.

The beauty of homeschooling is that you can customize it to what works best, unlike the overcrowded elementary school. If he prefers later in the day, go for it! It makes sense to me to be relaxed, well rested, and well fed before school.

I've found being well fed is really important. Our worst homeschool days were when my ds was hungry, and our best are when he's well fed.

Our school has greatly improved since I started doing a small treat/snack break in the middle of one hour of focused time. I make it fun by hiding the 'hidden treasure' before school, then after the lesson and work, I write the 'clue' to where it is hidden, which is an easy word to read according to what he's learned like fan, mat, hat, bed, box, socks, shelf, stove, etc. Then he finds it and eats his snack while I start teaching the next lesson or read a story. I usually use dried fruit for the treat, but anything not messy and quick to eat works great. My ds loves the treasure hunts so much now that when we don't have any treasure, he asks me to hide water as a treasure, lol!

I hope that helps!

Enjoy the wine!

If your ds does better later on in the day and it works for you, then try it and see if that lessens the stress for both of you. There is nothing written in the hs manual that says you have to do school in the morning. When we first started, we had our learning time in the afternoon and it worked for us for awhile.

Also, it might be a good idea to just focus on the basics for awhile. Once he gets that rhythm going then you can add in other subjects slowly.

I hope that today goes better. :grouphug:

This is our third week of Kindergarten. While our first day went really well, the rest of the week wasn't so great. Things were going much better by the middle of week two. Right now my focus is math, phonics and handwriting. Once those are complete, our day is done. Somewhere down the line, I'll add in a few other subjects. Now they're being done irregularly depending on how the day is going.

Just to tag on to that...in the brick and mortar schoolrooms they are doing the same things - teaching the kids what to expect, teaching routines, etc...Don't think that a "regular" teacher would have gotten more information into your son on the first day. Once the routines (whatever they may be) are learned then you will be able to do more academic time.

my dh recommends "two buck chuck", as this is the first of thirteen years ;)

i'd go for tea and chocolate. and a second look at what you're doing....

remember kindergarten? i'm way older than most of you, but in kindergarten we sang for 30 minutes while the teacher played the piano, sometimes with rhythm instruments, we played outside, we painted at the art easel once a week, and had different other art things each day. we learned our letter sounds. we played with pattern blocks. we had quiet time for 30 minutes where we lay on little mats and listened to music. we learned how to take objects and divide them into equal groups. we counted. we skip counted to music. we played house. it was glorious.

I'm going to add --- he's 5. 5. History, science, art and nature appreciation can wait. Enjoy his being 5. Read under a tree, catch butterflies. Relax. He's 5. I would focus on attitude and obedience, and then embrace 5.

:iagree:

he can narrate about the butterfly, you can write it down for him, he can draw a picture of it.... science, narration and art, all done :001_smile: find a butterfly fingerplay or song on line and teach it. or do FIAR or even BFIAR.

read in the hammock; the weather will change soon enough. the two things we did every day that were more "schoolish" were singapore earlybird (which they loved) and learning to read (which some days they loved, and some days, they didn't).

charlotte mason had great wisdom around teaching children until they were 7 by being outside with them.... a lot..... her own books were a bit heavy slogging, but there are folks who have distilled out her teachings, and they were a joy.

have fun. there will be time enough for wine, chocolate and a different learning approach all too soon. and he'll learn tons this way.

:grouphug:

from a momma who wishes she had just one more five year old to enjoy life with....

ann

remember kindergarten? i'm way older than most of you, but in kindergarten we sang for 30 minutes while the teacher played the piano, sometimes with rhythm instruments, we played outside, we painted at the art easel once a week, and had different other art things each day. we learned our letter sounds. we played with pattern blocks. we had quiet time for 30 minutes where we lay on little mats and listened to music. we learned how to take objects and divide them into equal groups. we counted. we skip counted to music. we played house. it was glorious.

I'm pretty old, too ;) and that is how I also remember kindergarten!

Take it from us old timers who miss having 5 year olds around. This is a very special age, it goes by in the snap of a finger (even though the individual days are long). Do a bit of math and reading instruction each day, but spend the rest of your day enjoying life. He will learn so much more by being outside and exploring than he will from formal instruction. Make sure he has a magnifying glass, binoculars that he can use, lots of paper and markers, a constant supply of books from the library on things that interest him. Plant seeds, make rubbings, ask questions of your own and discuss everything you see and read.

My style of homeschooling doesn't fit everyone, but I ONLY did the 3Rs with my kids until they were about 9. Writing was just handwriting and a bit of copy work. Other than that, we just explored the world around us, delved deeply into interests, spent cold days baking cookies and reading stacks of books. My kids have turned out just fine and I have nothing but warm memories from those early years.

Have a glass of wine, take a deep breath, and think about what really will matter most when that child heads off to college. You have 12 years ahead of you -- don't burn them or yourself out now because you have lots of time for them to learn about history, science and literature and to master academic skills.

After our first day last week, I needed the whole darn bottle, not just one glass.;) We had been doing "school light" for a month before starting this year's stuff, and our entire day (if he had cooperated and not fought tooth and nail) would have taken 1 hr. So it was not lots of work, nor was it an abrupt change. When we finally finished, I wanted to cry, scream, and abscond to Tahiti (ALONE) and stay til the savings ran out.

That said, the next day was easier, and each after that was good. Not great, but better. This Monday we were back to tooth and nail, but today was fine. I think we all need to adjust, and (in my case anyway) ds needs to learn that I'm not going to just give up, no matter how much he complains (its a discipline/authority issue at our house, not necessarily a "school" issue).

I agree that you need to keep it short, fun and enjoyable at this age, and then move on the "sneaky" learning--outside play, drawing/crafting, read alouds, etc. but it sounds like you already know that. Keep on keeping on. It will get better.

(it really helped here to have a fun, "uneducational" (HA!) craft to dangle as a prize at the end of the school day.)

And if you decide Tahiti sounds better, well, we'll see you when the savings run out...:D

Take it from us old timers who miss having 5 year olds around. This is a very special age, it goes by in the snap of a finger (even though the individual days are long). Do a bit of math and reading instruction each day, but spend the rest of your day enjoying life. He will learn so much more by being outside and exploring than he will from formal instruction. Make sure he has a magnifying glass, binoculars that he can use, lots of paper and markers, a constant supply of books from the library on things that interest him. Plant seeds, make rubbings, ask questions of your own and discuss everything you see and read.

I am an old-timer, and I also have a soon-to-be 5yo. My oldest is getting ready to go back to college in Tokyo this week. My youngest will be five in a couple of months. Cherish this time. Let him play and explore and experience. As he gets older, gradually focus more time on the 3Rs. Once he's older, it will be easier to get him to focus on his work, because he will be ready to work. Play is the work of a 5yo.

My best advice to you is to look way ahead to high school. So many focus hard on the easy early elementary stage and then wake up one day unprepared to teach a high schooler. Pick some books that you'd like him to read in high school and read them now. You have the time now that you won't have then, and enjoy that glass of wine with a good book.

You aren't alone! This is our 13th year and our first day of school was so bad I went to bed and stayed there for 24 hours. I'm not joking! I've NEVER, not one day, done that before. I don't even take naps! But, this day, was horrible. We started again a week later and... so far so good.

Oh my gosh, Karen! I must have never looked closely at your signature line becaue I didn't realize you have kids on both ends of the journey! I just remember reading about your Tokyo bound son. Hope you give an update on him on the high school board soon!

If I survive dropping him off at the airport again, I'll update this weekend. I think there are a lot of us sending them away again right now. :sad:

Thanks ladies for the great encouragement and advice! I think DS really was in a funk yesterday because of the change to a more structured schedule (he is my slow-to-warm-up child). Today has gone much more smoothly so far, and he actually asked to learn the letter "D" during reading time tomorrow, so here's hoping we're making progress!

My style of homeschooling doesn't fit everyone, but I ONLY did the 3Rs with my kids until they were about 9. Writing was just handwriting and a bit of copy work. Other than that, we just explored the world around us, delved deeply into interests, spent cold days baking cookies and reading stacks of books. My kids have turned out just fine and I have nothing but warm memories from those early years.

Have a glass of wine, take a deep breath, and think about what really will matter most when that child heads off to college. You have 12 years ahead of you -- don't burn them or yourself out now because you have lots of time for them to learn about history, science and literature and to master academic skills.

I could have written this exact post! :iagree: My joy in homeschooling comes from my little ones.......teaching them is what inspires me to plow through high school every day when I would really rather not!! :D