Menu

Math Joke

Sahamamama

Teaching Math in the 1950s (Traditional):
A logger sells a load for $100. His production cost is 4/5 of the price. How much is his profit?

Teaching Math in the 1970s (New Math):
A logger trades a set “L†(of lumber) for a set “M†(of money). The cardinality of set “M†is 100. The cardinality of subset “C†(his cost) is 20 less than “Mâ€. What is the cardinality of set “P†(his profit)?

Teaching Math in the 1990s (Reform):
A logger sells a load for $100. Her production is $80 and her profit is $20. Your assignment: underline the number 20.

New York (CNN). At John F. Kennedy International Airport today, a Caucasian male (later discovered to be a high school mathematics teacher) was arrested trying to board a flight while in possession of a compass, a protractor and a graphical calculator.

According to law enforcement officials, he is believed to have ties to the Al-Gebra network. He will be charged with carrying weapons of math instruction.

That is so inaccurate. The modern assignment would be to write an essay regarding the logger's work and include how she determines her financial and ethical profit.

Not to argue or anything, but at our school they would be put into learning groups and required to create a poster showing 10 different types of trees with each color representing an adjective. The number of descriptive words should equal the answer to the math problem. Then they could put on a group authored play showing 2 unique ways to get the answer. It would be due on a Monday so all the parents would have time to compete for the best grade :D

Not to argue or anything, but at our school they would be put into learning groups and required to create a poster showing 10 different types of trees with each color representing an adjective. The number of descriptive words should equal the answer to the math problem. Then they could put on a group authored play showing 2 unique ways to get the answer. It would be due on a Monday so all the parents would have time to compete for the best grade :D

:lol::lol:

Learning groups and a poster? How old-fashioned. They do slide shows or multi-media presentations now, they do still give them at least a full week so that the parents can do the work.

My favorite math joke:

There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

My favorite math joke:

There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Oh, I'm so happy that I can say that I actually get this one. If I would have seen it last spring, I would have been clueless.