Menu

CDC considering a recommendation

This is not even close to male circumcision which does not cause damage to or removal of part of the sexual organ itself.

Except for those that go awry. Ouch! I remember a few cases in Atl of baby boys having sex change ops due to circumcisions gone very wrong. The foreskin is a part of the male organ. Why on earth we humans felt it somehow was unneeded, I will never understand. But then again, we also do a number of other odd things, that go against common sense, when it comes to the body.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not even close to male circumcision which does not cause damage to or removal of part of the sexual organ itself.

No, the labia is not part of the sexual organ. The female sexual organ is the vagina. The labia are outer folds of skin which are part of the vulva. Labial circumcision and foreskin circumcision are comparable procedures. Labial circumcision is done in some cultures for aesthetic reasons. Quite similar to the argument "so he looks like daddy."

You may be surprised, but the labia are often used as graft donors for certain types of reconstructive plastic surgery. Also, the foreskin, if left intact, can be used for similar purposes. Neither labia nor foreskin are requisite for survival, but neither are they "unnecessary."

Genital mutilation, the topic you reference from wikipedia, is an entirely separate subject, and obviously has no comparison to circumcision.

Regardless of pro or con for circumcision... it is NO business of the gov't!

On this we do agree.

Edited by Audrey

Apparently his foreskin wouldn't retract. So, after many infections, he got one at 11. After going through all of that (trying to pull it back when he was 5/6/7 only to have him scream and cry)
Your poor son.

This is why we need to educate Peds and parents. This actually happens a lot...I'm sure this causes many people to think foreskins are "faulty", when it really is caused by their well meaning parents.

Editted version.

Edited by MyCalling

My son is not circumcised, my husband and I had many lengthy discussions about from the time our eldest daughter was born. I honestly feel God didn't give us a son until we had come to a mutual decision that we both feel good about. I agree that people in the US need to be better educated about it, especially doctors.

However, I really think this post was totally unnecessary. It's one thing to point out that sometimes the foreskin doesn't retract until puberty and that's OK. It's another thing to demean someone in this manner.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My kids went through a lot of unnecessary suffering b/c it took us forever to figure out that the immunizations were the problem. Things like this happen very often. I try to make sure that others are aware of it so that they do not make the same mistakes. Yes I feel bad, but I am glad that I am now more educated in this area.

Please, never assume a child has food allergies when they are babies being immunized every few weeks.

I didn't have my oldest circed and it became a nightmare. Apparently his foreskin wouldn't retract. So, after many infections, he got one at 11. After going through all of that (trying to pull it back when he was 5/6/7 only to have him scream and cry) ALL of my boys got circed and they have never had any problems.

That being said, it IS a parents choice.

Hon, I am so horribly sorry for you and your son but as others have pointed out it was the forceable retractions that were the problem not the foreskin itself. The only reason I am pointing this out is so that others do not make the same mistake. I am actually cringing while writing this. I have a non-circd step-son so I know that women and circd men need to be educated how to properly care for a non-circd penis.

I'm betting the recommendation is so gvt healthcare will have to officially cover the cost of the procedure.

as for the rest of the thread?

yes, there are men that prefer being c'd, especially after watching/knowing some horror story of what an unc'd guy/friend went through.

yes, there are men who were c'd as adults that prefer being c'd, and men that were c'd as adults who miss it.

yes, there are plenty of unc'd men that are pleased as punch to NOT be c'd.

yes, there are parents and peds out there who are grossly uninformed about foreskins.

yes, there are boys out there that really do need to have the foreskin removed for medical reasons, and not every ped is an idiot when it comes to the issue. Just because a ped recommends a circ doesn't make them uninformed.

yes, i think this is as stupid a decision by the gvt as gardasil is, with science just as faulty.

Old Testament:

a nick??? we've decided that our future son in law will have to pay the same bride price for dd that David paid for Michal. ;) [jk! sorta.]

Scripture also shares that circumcising an adult male pretty much incapacitated them --enough to win a war.

I'd love to hear about the faulty science regarding Gardasil.

I think the science regarding gardasil is *as faulty* as the science regarding circs. That's kinda the whole point. You can find a "scientific" reason for just about anything these days.

eta: to spell it out, there's plenty of scientific research about the effectiveness of circs, just as there's plenty of scientific research about gardasil. i don't think either one is helpful or relevant or in the best interest of the people that are being subjected to either.

As a father (and a man) I strongly favor circumcision.

I was there when my son was circumcised (with a proper local anesthetic used beforehand) and there wasn't the slightest whimper, or even wince. Certainly no "trauma", no tears. Nothing.

And in return for a non-event my son will have a lifetime of better hygiene, and will be less likely to contract a disease, or to pass one to another. This is no small thing in my mind.

Bill

Thank you so much for giving a man's perspective.

We did have DS circumcised, on his 8th day of life. He screamed very briefly at first, but then the doc did something with a clamp and he just looked around and sucked on his binky for the rest of it.

I had decided that I could not go through with it, but was newly home from the hospital with complications and exhausted, so DH grabbed the baby from bed in the early morning and it was all done before I was awake. I am eternally grateful (that I did not have to be there, and that he took the decison and action all on himself).

Edited by Lovedtodeath