Menu

?? About Netflix

jibaker103

No, you don't pay extra shipping.

Streaming video is fine, my dd will watch it. Very handy to have a movie on demand! But we mostly watch regular DVDs.

We usually do their 3-at-a-time plan. Sometimes we'll do 4, sometimes less, depends on how busy we are. It is easy to switch back and forth.

No extra shipping either way. You pay your monthly fee and the movies come to you the you send them back when finished in their prepaid envelope.

Not sure about the streaming video my dh has watched a few of the "instant view" shows on his computer and likes it. We just ordered the Roku box for the kids since their playroom where they watch videos has no satelite hook up and this will give them a few more options.

We are on the 5 at a time unlimited plan. That way each member of the family can have a DVD out at the same time, although when my dh is on deployment then I get 2 for myself and each child gets 1 at any given time.

We have two at a time out. We have two separate queues (same account) and so I get one out and my dh & ds get one out at a time. I was concerned about turn around time but it's very quick. I mail one back on Monday, by Wednesday I have the next on my list.

My ds and dh use instant watch more than I do.

The selection on instant watch is not nearly as extensive as that on regular dvd, and I haven't had a lot of luck getting more recent movies that way (though some recent tv shows are available). The best way to tell is to take a list of things you'd want to watch and check them out on the list.

The selection on instant watch is not nearly as extensive as that on regular dvd, and I haven't had a lot of luck getting more recent movies that way (though some recent tv shows are available). The best way to tell is to take a list of things you'd want to watch and check them out on the list.

There search feature doesn't seem to be very sophisticated! Is it because I'm not a member yet? What if I want to search by genre, time period, or actor does it do this?

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

We do 2 at a time with netflix. The charge is 14.98 per month that comes out of our account for the same. My dh has a cable hooked to our TV for the streaming movies as well instead of the Roku device. We supplement with free DVDs from the library as well:).

We aslo subscribe to Discovery Education United Streaming from Homeschoolbuyersco-op.org which we also stream to our TV. We are satellite free.

I'm thinking of cutting off Directv at $85 per month and going with Netflix. I hardly watch tv but ds 13 acts like his life will be over without Disney, Nickelodian, Cartoon Network, etc. Can you get some of these shows through Netflix?

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

My kids are currently watching episode after episode of iCarly and That's So Raven on InstantWatch via the Roku box. It looks like regular tv, but without the commercials. You can check out available dvds/instantwatch offerings for the Disney channel under "television". I know they carry some seasons of "The Suite Life on Deck (zack and cody) via the Instantwatch. Spongebob is available too (my oldest best buddy loves Spongebob!).

Keep in mind, you can watch InstantWatch titles on up to six (I think) devices. Some nights my dh and I will watch stuff on a laptop in our room while the kid's watch stuff on the Roku.

We haven't had cable in 5+years and don't miss it.

Do you have to pay shipping on top of your monthly membership fee? For homeschooling purposes is the streaming video enough? How many DVD/Videos do you checkout at once? I'm trying to determine what membership level will be necessary!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

We just do the 1 movie at a time at around $10 per month. That is about what we were spending on renting movies before we went with netflex. We DO NOT RENT any others. We also us their on line movies a lot. I put the ones in the query that the kids can watch and they pick from that.

We discontinued cable and have antenna which brings in one local tv station. I like it as our family isn't nearly as glued to the tv as they were before.

With the one at a time you get about 1 per week.

I did my 2 week trial with 3 at a time, then switched to 1. Which is hard - i'd prefer 2, one for the kids and one for me. I'll probably go to that post divorce.

The kids like to watch the instant stuff - i've watched a few things, and have built up a big queue of things to get too (same for the DVDs... sigh, one at a time i need to pick up the pace and NOT let them keep them a long time like this last go around). I have overnight turnaround too, which is nice.

Next up is a documentary! LOL!!

Ok you all have convinced me. I'm calling Directv tomorrow to kick them to the curb :lol: and I'm :auto: over to Netflix for the 2 DVD membership and the Ruko device!!! I think about what my $85 per mo could have gone to and get ill!!!!!:D

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

We only need to be on the one-at-a-time plan ($10/mo), since we shelled out $100 for the Roku Netflix Player as our family Christmas present. It's truly the gift that keeps on giving, what with over 12,000 instant play titles to choose from, so it more than paid for itself in the first few months. It also streams Amazon Video on Demand and seem to be acquiring more content providers. I'm hoping that eventually it will work with hulu.com.

We've never had any kind of television programming (no antenna, cable, satellite), so before Netflix, the library was our primary source. We also amassed a substantial (mostly used) video collection, and I still pick up cheap VHS tapes for the kids because I know they'll be done with them in a few years. What's really weird is that sometimes they even outlast the DVDs since they can't get scratched! They do take up a lot more space, though, so I will be glad when we can finally ditch the VCR.

We only need to be on the one-at-a-time plan ($10/mo), since we shelled out $100 for the Roku Netflix Player as our family Christmas present. It's truly the gift that keeps on giving, what with over 12,000 instant play titles to choose from, so it more than paid for itself in the first few months. It also streams Amazon Video on Demand and seem to be acquiring more content providers. I'm hoping that eventually it will work with hulu.com.

We've never had any kind of television programming (no antenna, cable, satellite), so before Netflix, the library was our primary source. We also amassed a substantial (mostly used) video collection, and I still pick up cheap VHS tapes for the kids because I know they'll be done with them in a few years. What's really weird is that sometimes they even outlast the DVDs since they can't get scratched! They do take up a lot more space, though, so I will be glad when we can finally ditch the VCR.

I thought the Roku was free!!!:confused:

I thought the Roku was free!!!:confused:

Nope, sorry, though it is the least expensive option. There are a variety of devices that will let it stream to your tv, so it's worth looking at the list on Netflix. IIRC tivo, some blu-ray players, xbox 360, etc will work as well. Look under "help" then "how to watch instantly on your tv".

I'd like to get the Roku as we don't have any of those other things, but it's not in the budget at the moment.

Nope, sorry, though it is the least expensive option. There are a variety of devices that will let it stream to your tv, so it's worth looking at the list on Netflix. IIRC tivo, some blu-ray players, xbox 360, etc will work as well. Look under "help" then "how to watch instantly on your tv".

I'd like to get the Roku as we don't have any of those other things, but it's not in the budget at the moment.

I already own a Tivo, DVR, and X-Box...getting excited again!!! Do you know if X-Box charges a fee?

What is IIRC?

You have to have a Xbox Live Membership...Gold I think it is called. It is the one that will let you play online and do all sorts of other cool things. So if you already have that you are all set. They recently upgraded the Netflix feature and it is super cool. Eventually you are going to be able to watch Netflix movies with other XBox Live Netflix users.

My kids are currently watching episode after episode of iCarly and That's So Raven on InstantWatch via the Roku box. It looks like regular tv' date=' but without the commercials. You can check out available dvds/instantwatch offerings for the Disney channel under "television". I know they carry some seasons of "The Suite Life on Deck (zack and cody) via the Instantwatch. Spongebob is available too (my oldest best buddy loves Spongebob!).

Keep in mind, you can watch InstantWatch titles on up to six (I think) devices. Some nights my dh and I will watch stuff on a laptop in our room while the kid's watch stuff on the Roku.

We haven't had cable in 5+years and don't miss it.[/quote']

We cancelled the expanded cable last year and bought the Roku for $99. BEST decision! We can stream on the computers or on the TV with the Roku. We love it, and it has saved us tons of money. :)

No, you need one for each TV that you want to watch on.

We watch on the computer thru the Boxee interface (keeps the kids from getting into stuff on that computer! LOL!!). Do you have an extra computer laying around that you might be able to hook up to watch on?

http://www.boxee.tv/homepage/

I have 3 computers, a wireless network, and an X-Box360 with Gold Membership.

Did you try using the XBox? (I don't have one - and i'm an Apple girl so i only hang out in the Apple home theater forums LOL!).

But if you have a computer that outputs video (or can with a cable), then you can just stream from the computer to the TV and watch that way. The Roku is just a small cheap "computer" that does the same thing, but you can set up a home theater type of PC pretty cheap too i gather.

I've pondered getting the Roku, but can't afford it right now. And, that would mean that STBXH could watch movies on it - and he's not paying the Netflix at this time, i am......

Did you try using the XBox? (I don't have one - and i'm an Apple girl so i only hang out in the Apple home theater forums LOL!).

But if you have a computer that outputs video (or can with a cable), then you can just stream from the computer to the TV and watch that way. The Roku is just a small cheap "computer" that does the same thing, but you can set up a home theater type of PC pretty cheap too i gather.

I've pondered getting the Roku, but can't afford it right now. And, that would mean that STBXH could watch movies on it - and he's not paying the Netflix at this time, i am......

Ok I think I'm finally starting to understand all of this :lol: For upstairs I will use the X-Box but for downstairs:

• Option #1 - I need to check the back of my computers to see if they have a jack to connect to my TV.

• Option #2 - Buy a bigger screen for my computer for easier viewing.

• Option #3 - Buy a Ruko

Ok I think I'm finally starting to understand all of this :lol: For upstairs I will use the X-Box but for downstairs:

• Option #1 - I need to check the back of my computers to see if they have a jack to connect to my TV.

• Option #2 - Buy a bigger screen for my computer for easier viewing.

• Option #3 - Buy a Ruko

Yup, you got it!

I'm thinking that quality wise, the output to a TV would be better than on the computer screen. Monitors are normally higher resolution that TVs, and you are watching at a further distance away than you normally sit from the TV too.

If you computers don't have an output - you can/might be able to add something to do it cheaper than the Roku too. The Roku has a remote too - so don't forget about that "need" (pausing and choosing movies/shows).

I bought a 20" Samsung Monitor at Sam's Club for $139. It works great for watching from bed for me (it's at the foot of the twin bed i'm using). It was cheaper than a similar sized TV, but that computer also has a tuner on it that i can watch basic cable too.

But overall, i have like 45 things in the instant watch queue right now - not lacking entertainment for the rug rats at all! LOL!!

(Check HULU.com too - that is free and has lots of TV shows on it, right now you need a computer to get that to the TV)

Yup, you got it!

I'm thinking that quality wise, the output to a TV would be better than on the computer screen. Monitors are normally higher resolution that TVs, and you are watching at a further distance away than you normally sit from the TV too.

If you computers don't have an output - you can/might be able to add something to do it cheaper than the Roku too. The Roku has a remote too - so don't forget about that "need" (pausing and choosing movies/shows).

I bought a 20" Samsung Monitor at Sam's Club for $139. It works great for watching from bed for me (it's at the foot of the twin bed i'm using). It was cheaper than a similar sized TV, but that computer also has a tuner on it that i can watch basic cable too.

But overall, i have like 45 things in the instant watch queue right now - not lacking entertainment for the rug rats at all! LOL!!

(Check HULU.com too - that is free and has lots of TV shows on it, right now you need a computer to get that to the TV)

Thank you so much for your help!!! My head was starting to spin!! :lol: I guess this will be one of my many projects for the weekend!

There search feature doesn't seem to be very sophisticated! Is it because I'm not a member yet? What if I want to search by genre, time period, or actor does it do this?

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

I looked at their home page without being signed in. There are genres listed on the left side of the page. The search box above it lets you type in movie names, actors names or directors names. The same options are offered to members of course. I typed in revolutionary period and civil war and movie recommendations did come up.

We have the 3-disc option. We also live near a supply warehouse so our turn around is extremely quick. We've always had excellent customer service. We've received broken discs and discs that are scratched. We call, they apologize, tell us to mail in the damaged disc and immediately send out another disc of the same title without waiting to receive the damaged one. Excellent service! I've also heard some people say they didn't think Netflix carried a diverse range of videos. We haven't found that to be true for us. The only times they didn't have a video we searched for was because the videos weren't yet put on dvd. And Netflix has the picture and description of the movie up with a release date or a 'date unknown'.