Menu

5th grade math AHHHHH!!

HollyDay

My plans are all messed up for math. :(

I do not want Math U See. I am not sure about Saxon because of all the review. I do not want Horizons since it stops in 6th grade. Singapore overwhelms me just trying to figure out what level to do the placement test. I did not at all like BJU 4 so, I am really reluctant to try BJU 5.

Help! What would give a good conceptual base, some review, variety, steady but not fast pace, and doesn't cost a fortune???

I had the same struggles this new school year with 5th grade math. I had my son in Horizons until 3rd grade. Everyone near me recommended moving into Saxon. So, I did for fourth grade. I thought that would be that. End of discussion. Oh, how I was wrong. My son and I both hated Saxon. However, we did finish the year. So, I was left wondering what to do for 5+ grades for math curriculum. Then, I stumbled on Chalkdust. :001_smile: I haven't bought the program YET. But, I will get it next week. It's very pricey- sorry, I know you said that was a concern. It's a concern here too, but my greater concern was a solid math base. I didn't want to switch around anymore. So, we've decided to space out our expenses and buy it. IT's 225 for Basic Math. I believe it's recommended for 6th grade, but if your child has been doing more advanced math skills, they should be fine. My son is by no means math gifted, but he should be ok with the concepts. They were all covered in Saxon. Well, not all, but the foundation is there. ;)

I think it's worth checking out and looking at the tutorial:

www.chalkdust.com

HTH,

Bethany

I do not want Math U See. I am not sure about Saxon because of all the review. I do not want Horizons since it stops in 6th grade. Singapore overwhelms me just trying to figure out what level to do the placement test. I did not at all like BJU 4 so, I am really reluctant to try BJU 5.

Help! What would give a good conceptual base, some review, variety, steady but not fast pace, and doesn't cost a fortune???

I wouldn't dismiss Horizons b/c it ends at 6th grade. It is an excellent elementary math program that will provide a solid foundation for high school math.

You could use Horizons the next 2 yrs and then switch to CD, Lials, and then on to whatever high school math you would like to use. (FWIW....I use MUS alg as pre-alg after Horizons 6)

I highly recommend CLE math!

Another plug for CLE math.

I do like BJU math but after using CLE math last year I really like it a lot. Now ask my 11yr old if she liked it. I think personally she did but she is just lazy and she knew that BJU math doesn't give them as many math problems as CLE does. By the way she did very well with her math scores last year due to the CLE math.

Now ask me what math program we are using this year?

BJU..grrrr.

My girls are loving MEP. It has step by step lesson plan in the TE and it is free doenload! Girls dont even realize they are doing math most of the time.

I second MEP. My 5th grade son started on it this (our first homeschooling) year and we are both loving it!! Try MEP Y3 if your dc is math srtrong. If not, then Y2b.

hth

ivette

I actually have been using the cheap The Complete Book of Math grades 5-6 Challenge Math (Amazon).

I also bought Essential Learning Products Math Practice Simplified workbooks. Right now we have: Money & Measurement, Fractions, and Decimals and Percents. There are more.

These were bought through http://www.bookpeddler.us but I know you can google for them. Each book was $6.95

HTH!

Edited by 5knights3maidens

My daughter was becoming increasingly frustrated with math until we found R&S. (4th) She loves it! Easy for me to teach and easy for her to understand and complete. It is set up for a classroom, but we just modify it to work (I usually don't have her copy and complete all of the problems, but if she need the extra practice it's there).

Math Mammoth is another good option, but she preferred R&S