Menu

What are your favorite baby dolls?

:iagree: My dd9 got her when she was three and has loved her so much she had to have an entirely new body put on a few year's ago. She's had about five dolls since she was little and this was the only one that was played with. She still plays with her often. The clothes are a money suck but they are sweet!

And it makes buying Christmas presents easy. There are always new outfits.

Baby Stella by Manhattan Toy - tons of them new or used on eBay. Regular price is about $30, on sale right now for $21.99 on amazon. Soft fabric doll, but very substantial. Has a magnet behind her lips so she can use her pacifier, lick a popsicle, drink a bottle, etc. Four different styles: almost bald "peach", almost bald "beige", ponytails black hair, ponytails blonde. Really cute accessories and clothes: stroller, cradle, high chair, hobby horse, etc., and cute clothing, too.

If you are a sewing type, you could attempt a Waldorf style doll. I've made an intermediate level doll, but feel I need to make a few more of them before I attempt a jointed doll. I was working from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Waldorf-Dolls-Maricristin-Sealey/dp/1903458587/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250830424&sr=1-1

If you have a Steiner shop around, ring and see if they do classes, if you are not a confident sewer.

Not sure if the link will work, but here's the one I made:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=136599&id=545883624#/photo.php?pid=3283470&id=545883624

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

The dolls that my daughter have gotten the most enjoyment from are actually Fisher Price Little Mommy Dolls. They are a little smaller than the bitty baby but she plays with hers all the time. "Abby" is her favorite. She got another doll for Christmas that she loves but I don't know the name of it. It came from etoys.com in a little wicker moses basket. She named it Jessica. It is an 18 inch doll that can wear newborn clothes. I got most of her clothes for it at the thrift store.

ETA: It is called a Baby Milena doll but the only place I could find one is ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dreamtime-18%22-Baby-Milena-Doll-with-Moses-Basket_W0QQitemZ380098358042QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by littlebug42
Added baby doll name

Our all time favorite is the Corolle Calin (yang, Naima, etc depending on race). They are smaller (13" I think) with a bean bag body and somewhat flexible arms and legs. The clothes and accessories are a bit cheaper than the bitty babies.

We had bitty babies as well but they are a bit large for the 1 to 3 year old set and definitey not as cuddly.

I was looking at the Corelle dolls. I had nixed it at first because they are SO expensive, but I found one for just $21 new.

They are smaller and lighter than the AG dolls, which is excellent. DD was hauling around a doll her size yesterday, and she can't hardly walk yet!

And if we get an "ethnic" doll--the Asian Cailin doll--(which looks more like DD, anyway), it is pretty danged affordable.

Ahahaha! Yes, I sewed, once upon a time. I haven't hardly time to BREATHE right now, much less sew, though. I am working so much that it eats into everything. I can't sleep, so I came down to grab some paper to figure out the political factions of my current book--try to do something productive--and got sucked into the forum! :-)

Baby Stella by Manhattan Toy - tons of them new or used on eBay. Regular price is about $30, on sale right now for $21.99 on amazon. Soft fabric doll, but very substantial. Has a magnet behind her lips so she can use her pacifier, lick a popsicle, drink a bottle, etc. Four different styles: almost bald "peach", almost bald "beige", ponytails black hair, ponytails blonde. Really cute accessories and clothes: stroller, cradle, high chair, hobby horse, etc., and cute clothing, too.

Oh, I love this, too! So cute! (And YAY for lots of choices that don't just have blue eyes!)

Our all time favorite is the Corolle Calin (yang, Naima, etc depending on race). They are smaller (13" I think) with a bean bag body and somewhat flexible arms and legs. The clothes and accessories are a bit cheaper than the bitty babies.

We had bitty babies as well but they are a bit large for the 1 to 3 year old set and definitey not as cuddly.

DD is 10 months on the 21st, so I think we'll wait on any Bitty Babies, then! She's pocket-sized, like her brother was.

The first time she ever saw a baby doll was at 6 months, and she was TERRIFIED once she realized it wasn't a real baby. (Initially, she cooed at it and reached for it--then flipped out when she got close.) Screamed and cried and clawed her way up my neck. I believe ababy translator would have said, "AAAAACK! Dead baby! Get the dead baby away from me!"

This time, all she wanted to do was hold it, carry (ahem, well DRAG) it, feed it, kiss it, hug it, share a pretend sippy cup with it, etc. She ignored all the other toys in the room just to lavish attention on it!

So I'm looking for something pretty small and as light as possible!

I think I'm down to the Corolle Calin and Manhattan Toys' Stella.

You know, those dresses are more expensive than anything I've bought the actual child! And I dress her in all sorts of frou-frou dresses all the time! (I just pay 50-95% off. :-) ) It seems kinda wrong that I'm going to be spending that much on a baby doll's wardrobe. :-) But supply and demand, I suppose!

After a lot of needless and rather silly agonizing (perfectionist much, here???), I ordered this doll!

I finally decided on that based on the doll DD had been so excited about--"sleep" eyes, molded bald head, cloth body--plus weight and size. I kind of like the idea of the all-cloth dolls better, but I figured I'd better not mess with a sure thing. I also liked all the outfits that are available for the 12" dolls--this is very much for the future, but I'm of the "less toys that are more flexible" mindset, so hopefully, this will be an enduring favorite. (Unfortunately, the Asian baby doll doesn't have the "sleep" eyes. :-( So we got stuck with blue.)

All the dolls that were linked to were SO beautiful! Thank you so much, everyone!

Edited by Reya

After a lot of needless and rather silly agonizing (perfectionist much, here???), I ordered this doll!

I finally decided on that based on the doll DD had been so excited about--"sleep" eyes, molded bald head, cloth body--plus weight and size. I kind of like the idea of the all-cloth dolls better, but I figured I'd better not mess with a sure thing. I also liked all the outfits that are available for the 12" dolls--this is very much for the future, but I'm of the "less toys that are more flexible" mindset, so hopefully, this will be an enduring favorite. (Unfortunately, the Asian baby doll doesn't have the "sleep" eyes. :-( So we got stuck with blue.)

All the dolls that were linked to were SO beautiful! Thank you so much, everyone!

FYI: depending on how the eyes are made, you may be able to paint the eyes the color you prefer. :0) There are glass paints ( I use Pebeo brand) that you can play with to make the desired color. The colors are heat set, so while you can't put it in the oven to set it, a hot hair dryer may be enough.

FYI: depending on how the eyes are made, you may be able to paint the eyes the color you prefer. :0) There are glass paints ( I use Pebeo brand) that you can play with to make the desired color. The colors are heat set, so while you can't put it in the oven to set it, a hot hair dryer may be enough.

My artistic skills are less than stellar, so the results would probably make my baby cry.

It's not like the doll HAS to look like my kid. It's just rather annoying that so few dolls aren't pale-pale blue-eyed babies. So it's no hill to die on or anything, and it's not like she's expressed a preference or probably has any idea what color her own eyes are! :-)