Menu

How do you clean baby "creases"??

This is my first baby to have them! He looks a bit like the Michelin man. Anyway, I've just noticed that inside the creases the skin is red and irritated. I've started making a better attempt to dry in there, but not sure if I should put baby powder, baby oil, Vaseline, etc. in there. I've tried cream, but it seems to cake up (nasty). I've never had this issue before! My other two were rather lean. Anyone btdt? Thanks!

...and put Eucerin on top to seal it in.

Then use Eucerin in the creases for a while to lube them after you dry them. That is what my Ped told me when DD had them. They didn't last all that long--just a few months.

Also, we found that if we bathed her every day her skin got irritated so we did it about twice a week. Again, this was on the advice of her Ped. I know some feel that babies should be bathed daily, but the Ped said that this is a recent custom that has no basis in true necessity.

I used to put baby oil on a cotton ball & wipe these areas after a bath OR at occassional intervals. It makes a bit of a protective layer but not greasy or too thick. Some one mentioned bathing intervals & I agree... babies do not need to be bathed daily ... it is really hard on their skin. Be sure to rinse soap from these areas well & pat dry. But a couple of baths per week are enough.

If they are really raw or cracking, etc... you may want to use A&D ointment or even desitin.

Corn Starch helps but it can get wet & clumpy. Use it lightly as a lubricant & relief... but not heavy.

Maybe others will have more tips!

Thanks so much, everyone! I first noticed it while we were camping for a week and a half - he definitely wasn't getting bathed too much there. :tongue_smilie: I have been bathing him daily since then, but mostly in order to establish a bedtime ritual. He really likes to splash in the tub, and it seems to help him settle down to sleep better. I'll lay off the soap though, and try your suggestions. Thanks again!

My first was a very roly poly baby and had problems with irritation in the creases. We had to bathe her every day to rinse away the sweat but only used soap two or three times a week. After her bath we would dry her really well and apply diaper rash ointment to the irritated spots (since it is basically the same thing, irritation due to moisture).

I had a Michelin Man once. He is almost 6 now. He weighed 25 pounds at 6 mos old (strangely enough, he weighs only 35 pounds at 6 YEARS old! Go figure!).

I used cetaphil and would wash his leg rolls and neck rolls once a day with just the cetaphil and warm water (not a cloth...just the water). It kept the redness (and the stinkiness) at bay. The worst for us was the milk he had in his neck folds. LOL YUCK!

I had a chubby, sensitive-skinned baby and was always told NOT to use cornstarch on these type of rashes, as they're most often caused by yeast. And cornstarch is actually food for yeast; it makes it worse.

You can still find plain talc baby powder, and it is best for crease rashes. Just be careful not to breathe in the dust. If it's really stubborn, I put a thin layer of Butt Paste ointment on first. Also, your ped can give you a prescription for Nystatin powder. That stuff is antifungal and like a miracle cure!

Also, we found that if we bathed her every day her skin got irritated so we did it about twice a week. Again, this was on the advice of her Ped. I know some feel that babies should be bathed daily, but the Ped said that this is a recent custom that has no basis in true necessity.

This is funny! When I had my first, almost 24 years ago, my mother insisted that I must bathe the baby every day. I asked, "Why?" "Oh, you have to bathe a baby everyday. Why, they wouldn't even let me go home from the hospital until I could show that I could properly bathe the baby." "But why do they need a bath everyday" I asked? "They don't do anything to get dirty." She never had an answer. I was always one to need a reason, an explaination. And since I had very dry skin and avoided showers unless I needed one, I took the same aproach with the baby. A couple of times a week worked great. Mother was aghast!

Oh yeah, and my son was like a Budah - fat as a pig! ( age 6 weeks, 15#, age 6 months, 25#) Keeping his folds dry was the key. Also, baby oil on a cotton ball will prevent bacteria from growing in the most, warm creases in the summer.

Edited by katemary63

One of my kids had this too. Really red in the creases, and sometimes some white, gunky stuff in there. It turned out to be yeast. I was told to dab a little bit of Vagisil (anti-fungal) on there and it cleared it right up.

Also, try to keep it as dry as possible. I found this to be really hard, as it was on her neck... and the drools and the rolls made dryness impossible.

Also, try to keep it as dry as possible. I found this to be really hard, as it was on her neck... and the drools and the rolls made dryness impossible.

Exactly!! I don't think I've *seen* his neck in a couple months! LOL But lots of drool, and it's in the 90s these days. I'm going to try the anti-fungal cream and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

My kids are all very prone to eczema, and heat flares it up, and those creases are the worst spots! So, keeping baby cool will help if that's an issue for you.

For drool on the neck, I used 2-ply terry bibs and changed them out as often as needed....when teething more frequent than diaper changes;)