Menu

Question for a TN mom (or dad!).

I have a friend of a friend who lives in TN and wants to homeschool. It looks like TN's laws are much more strict than AR.

Could someone pass on some info, best way to go about filing paperwork, what paperwork needs to be filed...basically what would a TN mom who wants to homeschool her 6th, 4th, and 3rd grade children need to do to make that happen?

Thanks!!

It's really not hard to homeschool in TN. I think written legalese always makes things look more complicated than it is. Most people choose Option 3 of the 4 options because it is the least restrictive, depending on the CRS (umbrella school) you choose. We use HomeLife Academy, a CRS that never intrudes on the way we choose to homeschool. The Tnhomed site mentioned above is good.

Interrupting here to ask (because we're seriously considering moving to TN) - why do most people choose option 3 over 1? Is it because they don't have a college degree? Or is it because there is less paperwork?

Also - do you have to pay the umbrella school for option 3?

I have a teaching license and still choose option 3. It is because there is NO government interference at all. I don't want my children to have to report to the state for testing at any point. I have chosen to use HomeLife also. We pay a $100 fee for the entire family per year. They keep records, transcrips, provide any forms necessary for getting a driver's license:tongue_smilie:, and issue a diploma upon graduation. There are also counselors available if you have any questions or difficulties you need assistance with. If your family were unable to pay due to financial difficulties, I believe they will work with you to come up with an amount that was reasonable for your situation. (At least, this used to be the case. They are a very nice bunch of people.)

Interrupting here to ask (because we're seriously considering moving to TN) - why do most people choose option 3 over 1? Is it because they don't have a college degree? Or is it because there is less paperwork?

Also - do you have to pay the umbrella school for option 3?

Option 1 means registering with the state, and that means meeting the requirements set forth by the state. This includes testing in certain grades, and record keeping that they are able to review. If your child performs poorly on the standardized testing, you are subject to the following (taken from Homeschool Law

TCA 49-6-3050):

6) (A) Consultation between the director of schools and the parent-teacher if the home school student falls three (3) to six (6) months behind the home school student's appropriate grade level, based on the test required in subdivision (b)(5);

(B) If a home school student falls six (6) to nine (9) months behind the home school student's appropriate grade level in the home school student's reading, language arts, mathematics or science test scores or such of these areas, regardless of the term used on the test, as are actually tested for the student's grade level, based on the tests required in subdivision (b)(5), the parent shall consult with a teacher licensed by the state board of education and having a certificate or endorsement in the grade level or course or subject matter in which consultation is sought. The parent and teacher shall design a remedial course to help the child obtain the child's appropriate grade level. The parent shall report the remedial course for the child to the local director of schools;

© (i) If a home school student falls more than one (1) year behind the home school student's appropriate grade level in the home school student's comprehensive test score for two (2) consecutive tests based on the tests required in subdivision (b)(5) and if the child is not learning disabled in the opinion of a teacher licensed to teach at the child's grade level, the local director of schools may require the parents to enroll the child in a public, private or church-related school, in accordance with this part, and the parents shall have all rights provided by law to respond to this requirement;

(ii) If a test indicates that a home school student is one (1) year or more behind the home school student's appropriate grade level, the same test shall be administered to the child not more than one (1) year later, notwithstanding the required testing schedule in subdivision (b)(5)(A);

This portion of the law is enough for me. I do not want my children to be tested every year, and I certainly do not want our family to be under the scrutiny of the government if I have one who struggles in a certain area. I also do not want to feel like I must "teach to the test".

Yes, many folks do choose Option 3 because they do not have a college degree. My dh and I both have college degrees, but we still chose Option 3, simply because we are left with greater control of our children's education.

Yes, there is a fee to register with a church-related school, but (to me) it is worth every last penny.

Also, just so that you don't get confused as you're doing your research, technically homeschoolers under Option 3 are not homeschoolers. They are teachers for the church-related school (CRS). This means that requirements for the CRS must be met, and that those requirements may vary from one CRS to another.

You can learn a whole lot more about TN homeschool laws on www.tnhomeed.com and HSLDA's website.

HTH!

Yes, you pay for the umbrellas but most cost $100 or less a year for the family. If you use Option 1, your child does not graduate with a high school diploma. The umbrellas diplomas are recognized by the colleges here. They send official transcripts to the college(s). Some require standardized testing, some don't but those that do use nationally normed tests rather than the state test. Technically, with option 3, you are a private schooler.