Menu

Help with months of the year?

melmichigan

My ds still has a difficult time with time. Evidently this is part of dyslexia for him. Anyhow, I set the year to music. Specifically to the refrain from "MacNamara's Band" (Toodily - ooo - ooo is converted to Janu - ar - y - y etc.) I'd sing it for you if I could, obviously this is not the medium.... (be happy!)

I know some who feel that this crutch is detrimental, (and yes, at 11 he still hums the song to figure out how many more months until Halloween) but I've decided to do what works for him, and this works

Good Luck!

Really, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Go over them periodically; she'll learn them eventually--she won't be in highschool and not know the months of the year! ;) For fun: This is a cute book with the days of the week and months of the year--we found it at our library. And give her a calendar of her own to put in her room and let her begin keeping track of fun or interesting things on it.

I agree with one of the posters above, with their link to some songs...I did this over a year ago, sang it about five times and they had it down!

Months of the Year

(to the tune of "Ten Little Indians")

January, February, March, and April,

May, June, July, August, and September,

October, November, and December,

These are the months of the year.

My MIL taught my dd this spring sung to the tune of "Oh My Darling, Clementine"

January, February,

March and April, May and June.

July and August, September, October,

November, December, and that's the year.

FWIW, She also taught dd the days of the week with the same tune:

There are 7 days, There are 7 days

There are 7 days of the week.

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Sometimes it's the very act of continually working on something that causes it not to stick. I'd say drop it for a few weeks or months and then come back and see how she does. It's not really vital that she know this now, and the time spent memorizing a song could probably be better used learning something else at this time.

Tara

We use one from http://www.hubbardscupboard.org. It's set to the Ten Little Indians. You just sing

"January, February, March and April, May June July and August, September, October, November, December. There are 12 months in a year."

I printed it off and we sing it and the days of the week on every morning until they understand it. Also, We have a calendar that we change to the next month every month. I make sure at that age that the help with the changing of the calendar.

I had my kids "change the calendar" every day starting in Pre-school. We use one of these, but I assume something similar could be made with cardstock or something. The repetition makes it stick. We have this fabric calendar hanging in the schoolroom in a prominent place along with a paper calendar and so they see the months hanging there, in order, each day. Then basically I let them "play" with it in changing the date each day.

Sometimes it's the very act of continually working on something that causes it not to stick. I'd say drop it for a few weeks or months and then come back and see how she does. It's not really vital that she know this now, and the time spent memorizing a song could probably be better used learning something else at this time.

Tara

Oh, that is interesting!!!! Is there anything you could link that could explain why this might be so?

Nope, but it's something I have noticed both in myself and with my kids and kids I have known in various situations. My thinking on it is that a person becomes so nervous about getting it right that they just can't do it. Removing the pressure for a while and then trying again seems to help.

Tara