Menu

Why do I ache all over?

I haven't worked out or exercised.

I haven't even done a lot of housework. All I've managed so far today is most of the dishes, putting away an already folded load of laundry, and starting two more loads which are still in the washer and dryer. This has been a typical day since Madelynn arrived...not getting much done.

I'm not sick. I have no sign of any illness like having a cold or flu.

While my "books" are achy, I have no other sign of plugged duct or mastitis. There's no lumps, hot spots, engorgement, etc.

So, why do I ache...all over? It feels like nearly every muscle and most of my larger joints hurt. For example, my forearms, upper arms, and shoulders ache. So, do my wrist, elbow joints, the backs of my hands. My calves, thighs and knees hurt, too, as does my hips and back. My "books" are just achy in the same way as the rest of my body.

This happens fairly regularly. Not every day or even every week. In fact, I couldn't even begin to say how often, just that it is fairly regular. Each time, there is nothing I can point to as a cause.

It makes me tired. I move slower and have a hard time getting stuff done. It's like having a mild flu, but I don't.

Edited by joannqn

Fairly regular -- as in, even before the baby was born?

'Cause my first thought was, jimminy cricket, you just had a baby!

I have chronic fatigue syndrome, I do a lot of general malaise; fibromyalgia would cause similar symptoms, as would Lupus, Lyme disease . . . there are a lot of autoimmune disorders that cause moderate to severe achy symptoms.

We discovered that the most significant factor to my chronic fatigue syndrome was systemic yeast infestation. If I start to drag and ache, I know I've got way too much yeast in my system (which means I have to change my diet). You might do some research to see if the symptoms fit. The biggest thing to treating a yeast problem is eliminating sugar, simple starches, etc, so if you think the symptoms fit, you could change your diet and see if you improve. It's one of those "can't hurt to try" treatments.

Hope you feel better, I understand what it's like to live this way, and it's no fun.

I used to have this problem in a previous home -- haven't had it at all since we moved. I was pretty sure it was something in the air/environment. It happened exclusively in the winter. I now think it was mold or some other contaminant. Probably in the ducts of our heating system (we didn't have air conditioning, so only had air forced through those ducts in the winter).

Fairly regular -- as in, even before the baby was born?

Yes, for several years, at least. And it comes and goes all year round, not just in a certain season. I don't think it sticks around long for each episode; I tend to forget about it until the next time it happens. Maybe a day or a few days?

I don't like hearing diet changes. I've tried improving my diet; it makes me cranky and I tend to just not eat rather than eating healthy food I don't like. I'm well-known for my picky eating. Sad, I know.

I'd do a couple of things if I were you...

First, I know it's tough with a small baby, but can you get in to your doctor and ask for some basic bloodwork? At least check your iron and vitamin d (iron for the exhaustion, d for the aches), get a sed rate, and anything else your doctor suggests you run. You may not get to the *source* that way, but if low iron or vitamin d is at play, or there's evidence that your body is dealing with a low-level infection, those things can be treated and you may be able to find the root cause more easily. If you just can't go to the doctor right now, I'd try to increase iron consumption through *foods*, and I would add a vitamin d supplement. (There was a discussion the other day about gummi vitamin d supplements, and I went out and found the Rainbow Light Sunny Gummies which are like little sour gummies -- so yummy I actually *want* to take them rather than trying to remember to supplement.)

Next, are you drinking enough water? The doctor I last saw at my rheumatologist's office was telling me that based on her experience working in an ER, she thinks nearly everyone operates on low-level dehydration. That that's the number one thing they do for *everyone* who comes into the ER, and everyone seems to benefit (even when the reason they're there is technically unrelated, treating the dehydration helps their bodies to cope)... So she's pretty adamant about drinking *lots* of water. (Far more than a mere 64 oz a day.) And if you're nursing, you need a lot more.

I doubt all of that will "fix" you, but I do think it might help... And maybe getting some bloodwork done will help you look for something more specific.

Are you drinking a lot of diet drinks with aspartame in them? I don't think it causes aches and pains in everyone, but I've heard it from A LOT of people. I realized that it was the cause of my aches and pains, mainly headaches, when I stopped drinking those drinks and started feeling a lot better. I used to get bad headaches almost every day and now hardly ever. I have a close friend who can't even chew a stick of gum that contains aspartame without it making her ache all over.

Another thing to note, is that after I stopped consuming drinks with aspartame, I tried Splenda. I have recently discovered that it may be the main cause of my fluid retention, so now I'm not drinking that anymore either. I guess I'll have to stick with water and unsweetened tea....

:(

So, why do I ache...all over? It feels like nearly every muscle and most of my larger joints hurt. For example, my forearms, upper arms, and shoulders ache. So, do my wrist, elbow joints, the backs of my hands. My calves, thighs and knees hurt, too, as does my hips and back. My "books" are just achy in the same way as the rest of my body.

This happens fairly regularly. Not every day or even every week. In fact, I couldn't even begin to say how often, just that it is fairly regular. Each time, there is nothing I can point to as a cause.

It makes me tired. I move slower and have a hard time getting stuff done. It's like having a mild flu, but I don't.

Have you had a Lymes disease test done? That's what it sounds like to me. 60% of people don't get a bullseye rash. If you live where there are ticks, please get it done? It can cause serious long term health effects.

First, I know it's tough with a small baby, but can you get in to your doctor and ask for some basic bloodwork?

Next, are you drinking enough water?

I have state-provided pregnancy medical for another month and a half, so I can get blood work done IF I can get everything done by then. After that, I won't have insurance (or money) unless I can get on a different state medical.

Water? No, definitely not drinking enough water. I'm drinking more than normal though.

Are you drinking a lot of diet drinks with aspartame in them?

I don't consume aspartame at all. I drink tap water almost exclusively. Occasionally, I drink juice (apple or orange) and soda (usually Dr. Pepper). I haven't had a soda for about 3 1/2 week, though.

Have you had a Lymes disease test done? That's what it sounds like to me. 60% of people don't get a bullseye rash. If you live where there are ticks, please get it done? It can cause serious long term health effects.

I do live in WA, which I believe has ticks. I've never been bitten by a tick to my knowledge...meaning I've never found or removed a tick from my person.

I developed Fibromyalgia symptoms, right down to the classic tender spots, when my children were younger, particularly when the boys were young nurslings. It was sleep deprivation. I discovered that there have been studies done, inducing the symptoms in otherwise healthy college students, just by depriving them of sleep over a long period. Could that be it?

Every person I know either has Lyme or has a relative with Lyme. My dog has it. It's crazy- common. I know several children who have been treated for it. Imo, given where I live, it's just a matter of time. This yr I had the pedi run blood tests on the kids. I've had two tests this yr, due to finding ticks on ny body.

Edited by LibraryLover

I do live in WA, which I believe has ticks. I've never been bitten by a tick to my knowledge...meaning I've never found or removed a tick from my person.

Not to scream or anything, but that doesn't matter. I have a friend who checks her blond kids daily, as we live in tick central. One of her kids was complaining about leg pain and they thought it was growing pains...he complained so much, and is not a complainer, so they finally took him to the Dr. Lyme. He's fine after treatment. Lyme is unbelievably common. You can't find a single person here who doesn't know several people who have been treated.

Achiness is a sign of an acidic system, which is caused by bad eating, coffee, meat, white flour, sodapop, sugar etc.

Increase your water intake at the minimum. Eat more fruit and veg, less crap.

I eat fairly well, but recently i had a cup of coffee 3 days in a row. Good, strong coffee. Yum. Just begnning to enjoy it when....wham, my whole body started aching. It affects me badly. It was very unpleasant. So its a sig to me that coffee is not good for my system and an ocasional ONE cup is all I can handle.

Check what you are eating before the aching times come on. There may be a pattern. But drinking lots of water should help your body balance out.

You don't have to. My kids have ALL gotten Lymes and there were a few times I never pulled a tick off.

The ticks that carry Lymes are so tiny the are LITERALLY>>> . <<that big.

And you can't see them UNLESS you are lucky enough to have the rash.

If you got one on your head, in your hair, you would never know.

The infection gets so bad people have to have internal antibiotic pumps, and, I had one friend, who was undiagnosed, commit suicide from it. They found it in her autopsy. In it's end stages it is like syphilis. It really is nothing to brush off or fool with.

Edited by justamouse