Menu

I hope this isn't a stupid question....but how do you know the denomination....

Most churches have a website where they will list some sort of denom or statement of faith. Other indicators--

I've never known a Catholic church to not have Catholic somewhere on their signage, so it's a pretty safe bet that one without that word will not be Catholic. Also, Catholic, Episcopalian, and Lutheran often have ST. something in their titles (but not always).

When we were looking for a church, my dh called a few in the phone book that weren't identified as any particular denomination, and asked the person answering the phone if they could *describe* their church. That usually gave him an idea of where they were 'coming from'. If you are visiting, look around for any brochures they may have in the lobby that would describe them. That way, if it wasn't at all what you were expecting, you could leave out the side entrance before going into the main auditorium! Ask me how I know...:D

Well...the name of the church is Christ Fellowship....and although I am not thinking of going there.....I was just wondering their denomination. Some friends of mine are going there....and I have heard some 'not so great' things about it.....

Call the church and ask. Any church that is proud of what they are doing and seeking new members will be more than happy to tell you what they are and what they believe. (And they don't have to know that you're just curious. Just don't give them too much info about you if you're not planning on visiting.)

Well...the name of the church is Christ Fellowship....and although I am not thinking of going there.....I was just wondering their denomination. Some friends of mine are going there....and I have heard some 'not so great' things about it.....

There are several different types of churches called the churches of Christ. There is the conservative, no instrumental music one, then there is the UCC- which is a very liberal socially active church. It could even be what we call "charismatic" churches- those are more apostolic.

I would guess non-denominational. But, non-denominational can be quite loaded. Like another poster stated, churches that grew out of the restoration movement (Christian Churches and Churches of Christ) are considered non-denominational, even though they are a part of a brotherhood of churches that has consistent doctrine and has their own Bible colleges and seminaries. There are non-denominational churches that are similar in doctrine and practices to Baptist churches, but don't belong to any Baptist convention, so are therefore not part of a denomination. There are non-denominational churches that are charismatic. All very different, and yet all considered non-denominational.

It could be non-denominational, too. Not always the case, but often "Community" and "Bible" churches are just non-denominational.

Mine has the word Community in the title but it is a pentacostal church. I would do like other suggested and either check the website or ask teh pastor.

You might need to search out this info. It is the trend in some denominations to "re-start" churches with new names that purposely leave out the denomination. I've even heard members of these churches claim "non-denominational" when that isn't the case. This practice bothers me because I see it as deception.

Can anyone 'see' any denomination here:

OUR MISSION STATEMENT

We are called to impact our world with the love and message of Jesus Christ.

WHAT WE BELIEVE

Here at Christ Fellowship what we believe is the foundation for all we do cooperatively as a church and individually in our personal lives. Beliefs lead to values, and values are demonstrated through action. We want to help strengthen your belief in Christ so that your values are in line with what the Word of God teaches.

Video

We are called to impact our world by encouraging people to develop a relationship with Christ and prepare them for a lifetime of ministry within the local church. To accomplish this, we seek to equip Christians to live lifestyles that are . . .

True to God’s Word

Submitted to the Holy Spirit

Family-centered

Faithful in personal ministry

Bold in outreach

. . . and in so doing, fulfill our ministry in the larger body of Christ.

We believe in the Bible

The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the complete, divinely inspired, infallible Word of God. The Bible is the supreme authority and guide for our Christian faith and living.

We believe in the Godhead

There is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

We believe in the Father

The first person of the Godhead orders and directs all things according to His own purpose and pleasure. He authored, created and sustains all things in the universe without any means other than His own pure power. By His grace, He involves Himself in the affairs of men, hears and answers prayer, and saves from sin and death all that come to Him through Jesus Christ.

We believe in the Lord Jesus Christ

He exists eternally as the second person of the Godhead. By His virgin birth, He came to earth as fully God and fully man, living a sinless life. His death on the cross made atonement for man's sin, evidenced by His bodily resurrection from the dead. He physically ascended to the right hand of God the Father, and He will return in power and glory.

We believe in the Holy Spirit

The third person of the Godhead convicts men of sin, regenerates, baptizes, indwells, instructs and sets apart believers unto a holy life. We encourage all believers to seek a life of obedience to the leadership of the Holy Spirit. We believe this step is essential for empowering believers for victorious living and ministry through the gifts given by the Holy Spirit.

We believe in the nature of man

Man was directly created in God's image and voluntarily fell into sin by personal disobedience to the will of God; consequently, all men are spiritually dead apart from Jesus Christ. The fall of man was a once-for-all historical fact. Its effect spread to all men, each of whom is born with a sinful nature and is in need of salvation.

We believe in salvation

Salvation is by grace, a gift of God apart from works. Salvation requires repentance, a turning away from one’s own way to God’s way. Salvation is through personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and all who receive Him are born again, regenerated by the Holy Spirit, and become the children of God. We will manifest true salvation by a changed life.

We believe in the church

The Church is the body of believers consisting of all born-again persons without respect to race, culture, or background. Directed by Jesus Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit, the Church is taking the good news of salvation to the whole world.

We Believe in Eternal Life

We believe Jesus is preparing a place for us and that He will literally come back again. We believe Heaven and Hell are real places. We believe those in Christ will live with Him forever and those who reject Christ as Savior will be separated from Him forever.