Menu

I've been making my own dishwashing powder but dishes are not getting clean. Ideas?

I've been moving to completely homemade and "green" cleaning products. The recipe I've used is equal amounts of borax and baking soda plus white vinegar for rinse aid. You use 1 T of powder mix for each cup and a few T of the vinegar in the rinse cup. Still my dishes are not getting completely clean. I especially notice it on the silverware as it's getting pretty dingy, almost like it's covered by a film. Ick! Any other ingredients I need to add? Or completely different recipes to follow? I know we have hard water here on top of the fact my dishwasher isn't all that great. I am sure both of those elements factor in as well.

I tried one or 2 batches with it, turned my cookie sheets funky colors (didn't realize i wasn't supposed to use one of things on the airbake pans) and wasn't happy with the film i got.

Back to Cascade it was.....

I'm certain that i just didn't have the time to fiddle with the mixture for my water type.....

You know, there's a reason that people wanted more than their home-made cleaning products: they don't always clean very well.

Amway's auto dishwash is biodegradeable. Even the container it comes in is biodegradeable. And it does a great job, regardless of the kind of water.

A few of the recipes I've seen involve lemonade Kool-Aid mix or lemon/orange essential oil. Something about the citric acid being a necessary component? You might want to try that. I'm trying to find the recipes...

Here's one:

http://www.debtfreeadventure.com/2009/07/simple-effective-jabs-homemade-dishwasher-detergent-rinse-agent/

Edited by Mommy22alyns

I've been moving to completely homemade and "green" cleaning products. The recipe I've used is equal amounts of borax and baking soda plus white vinegar for rinse aid. You use 1 T of powder mix for each cup and a few T of the vinegar in the rinse cup. Still my dishes are not getting completely clean. I especially notice it on the silverware as it's getting pretty dingy, almost like it's covered by a film. Ick! Any other ingredients I need to add? Or completely different recipes to follow? I know we have hard water here on top of the fact my dishwasher isn't all that great. I am sure both of those elements factor in as well.

Instead of baking soda, try washing soda in your recipe. However, no combination I've tried has worked as well as my regular 7th Generation liquid with a tablespoon of washing soda. I was able to make the bottle of 7th Gen liquid last almost three times as long, and the washing soda lasts forever.

Instead of baking soda, try washing soda in your recipe. However, no combination I've tried has worked as well as my regular 7th Generation liquid with a tablespoon of washing soda. I was able to make the bottle of 7th Gen liquid last almost three times as long, and the washing soda lasts forever.

Yep, I use Seventh Generation and don't even bother to rinse the gunk off. Everything comes out sparkling, almost every time (sometimes bread dough doesn't come off the paddle, but I think that has to do with how long it sits before I run the load) and there is never any film, nor clouding on my glasses.

When I was using homemade dishwasher soap I used equal part washing soda, borax and salt. My dishes had a film on them with just the washing soda and borax. But that seemed to go away with the salt.

I've heard of some that put a portion of cheap dishwasher soap along with the soda/borax mixture.

I finally went back to powdered Cascade like we used when I was growing up. Gels don't seem to work as well for me.