Menu

Maltipoo?

I'm looking into dogs, good with kids and able to be in a smaller yard. My son with mild mr and autism is particularly drawn to certain "faces" - like King Charles Cavalier and Maltipoo. I've read about Maltipoos online. King Charles Cavalier are out of our price range, but Maltipoos are for sale from breeders in our area for around $150-200. This website states they cost in the $1000s. Is that true? Would these breeders in my area be scammers then? How do I go about this? I'm clueless! Any help would be great! Any advice about the breed would be great also! Thanks!!

http://www.loveofbreeds.com/Maltipoo.html

I think the first thing to realize is that Maltipoos are not a recognized AKC breed. They are just a mutt like any other mixed breed. Not that there's anything wrong with mutts! We have a Boxer/Beagle mix who is our sweetheart. But don't let a fancy name trick you. I would encourage you to check with your local animal rescue organization and let them know what you are looking for. They are usually very willing to help you out. You will probably spend around $100 or so, but that usually includes vet check, spay/neuter and vaccines. And you are supporting a great cause! HTH!

ETA: If you decide on a pure breed, check out http://www.akc.org and look at their breeder referrals. That will almost assure that you get a great dog from a great breeder!

We used to have two Maltese. They were so STUBBORN and almost impossible to housetrain. Turns out that's a common trait. I don't know if crossing with a poodle helps that, but if it doesn't, don't go there. What a pain in the NECK!

Malti-poo is not a breed. It's a mixed breed, supposedly a cross between a Maltese and a poodle. I use the term "supposedly" because many breeders don't start with purebred stock, they just breed whatever is small and white and call it a Maltipoo. Or a Yorkipoo. Or a Bichipoo Or whatever term the choose. That's not to say that these dogs are not perfectly lovely family companions, it's just to say that they are not "purebred" and quite often they are not "purebred crosses."

With any breed, it's of vital importance to have a long conversation with the breeder. You want to know a LOT about the parents of these dogs, and you want to SEE the facility in which they were born/raised with your own eyes. Just as with humans, what happens in the first weeks of a puppy's life affects that puppy's interaction with the world for the rest of its life. Especially since your son has developmental issues, I'd be VERY, VERY wary of anything that might indicate a less than PERFECTLY bomb-proof temperament. And early socialization/interaction/genetics has EVERYTHING to do with temperament. Also, many (most) backyard breeders do not screen the parents for genetic health problems such as eye disease, thyroid problems, auto-immune disorders, and skeletal malformations. These things can lead to big vet bills later on, and more importantly, can lead to lots of heartbreak for the family. I"m not familiar with what genetic problems exist in the Maltese and poodle breeds, but I"m sure there are some. There are congenital problems in all breeds. Check things out first--- PLEASE!

I realize it happens, but as a purebred dog fancier, president of a national breed club and lifelong trainer/exhibitor/breeder, it never ceases to amaze me that "breeders" charge several thousands of dollars for a mixed breed and folks pay it. Again, I"m not saying that these "designer dogs" don't make perfectly nice pets, but it astounds me that in my breed, I can import a purebred pup from Sweden whose parents have won multiple Best In Shows in Europe (and who I have seen with my own eyes on trips to international shows) and whose pedigree on both sides I have researched back to 1922 for half of what I would pay to a backyard breeder for a mixed breed, were I so inclined.

I wish you much luck with your search for a pup, but please, be careful of health and temperament. Dogs add so much to our lives, and I feel that children who grow up with dogs in their life are lucky indeed.

All Best,

Astrid

:iagree::iagree:with astrid and nakia.

it's a mutt. There are plenty of lovely mutts in your shelter/rescue. Used to be that there were only big hairy dark dogs in shelters (no offense astrid LOL; I personally love big & hairy but you know how people are - these guys don't get adopted fast) but now shelters and rescues have tons of little ooopsie poopsie huahua cutesy name mutts which were purchased on a whim for outrageous prices, and then were discarded along with last year's fashions.

Please don't support the puppy mill or backyard breeders (byb's) out to make a quick buck. Don't buy from a pet store. Beware of 'brokers'. This a lovely new scam where suburban families pose as breeders but they're actually fronts for mills. So when you go to their home it looks all nice and clean & not like a mill....but the dogs are all coming from mills.

I would never, never, never pay anyone for a deliberate mixed breeding. Go reputable purebreed (& be prepared to pay a fair chunk & be interviewed by the breeder just as closely as you are interviewing them & to wait - some of the best breeders don't breed very often so there's wait lists for their pups) or go the shelter/rescue route. Get an adult & their temperament will be apparent so you can match the animal to your home.

I love dogs :D

I'm looking into dogs, good with kids and able to be in a smaller yard. My son with mild mr and autism is particularly drawn to certain "faces" - like King Charles Cavalier and Maltipoo. I've read about Maltipoos online. King Charles Cavalier are out of our price range, but Maltipoos are for sale from breeders in our area for around $150-200. This website states they cost in the $1000s. Is that true? Would these breeders in my area be scammers then? How do I go about this? I'm clueless! Any help would be great! Any advice about the breed would be great also! Thanks!!

http://www.loveofbreeds.com/Maltipoo.html

A "Maltipoo" is a mixed breed dog--very cute, but still a mixed breed dog...i.e., a mutt. $1000 for a mutt? I don't think so. Personally, I would never pay that much money for a mixed breed dog on principle.

IMHO, "breeding maltipoos" is a scam (ditto with any other "designer" dog). "Maltipoo" is not a breed. Maltese is a breed; poodle is a breed; "maltipoo" is a mix between the two, but really, only the first generation is "maltipoo." I don't even know what subsequent generations would be.

I'm sure they'd make good pets, but trying to put "maltipoo" forth as a breed, and selling them for anything other than what it cost to take care of them, is a scam.

I'll take the flames now.

Thanks everyone, I understand the Maltipoos are a mutt instead of a new breed now. How do I know where to buy one then? Are the ones advertised in my paper "backyard breeders" or puppy mills scams? They are about $200 a dog. I'm definately attracted to their size, and coat and my son likes their faces -they look plain cute! Any other thoughts?

They're either unethical backyard breeders or puppy mills or brokers.

No ethical breeder breeds these because by definition, ethical breeder belong to their breed clubs and breed recognized breeds.

Your best bet is

www.petfinder.org

You put in one of the breed names & your area & see what pops up. For you I'd search maltese and then do a separate search for poodle. They'll be logged as maltese X or poodle X.

Also you can search there for rescue groups in your area. We have several groups in our area which specialize in little dogs - sometimes you'll see something like 'little paws' or 'small darlings' etc. Those are good hints of what they specialize in.

Depending on what you get in your area, you may have to extend the geographic search a bit. Many rescues will help with transporting your adopted dog to you.

Reputable rescues make sure the animal is vet checked, spayed/neutered, utd with vaccinations and that you have a good description of temperament. Shelters can be a bit sketchier on what they provide. If you're unsure about a dog from a shelter, sometimes you can hire a trainer to come with you to do an assessment of temperament which is well worth the $ if you're not prepared to deal with bhvr issues. Some of these little inbred pups who are puppy mill survivors have some issues so don't go by appearance alone. That's why my personal preference is rescues - the dogs will usually have been in foster homes and everyone has a much better idea of temperament. But there are many, many awesome shelter dogs out there.

good luck!

Guest windhound

I have been a dog groomer for 20 years and would not touch a maltipoo with a 10 foot pole - especially with kids. Their temperament is not good and their coat is a nightmare to deal with. Don't believe everything these websites tell you. I agree with the previous posters comments about it being a mutt - the trend lately is to make a cutesy sounding combination (Labradoodle, Puggle) and market it as a new and exciting breed with all kinds of fantastic attributes (doesn't shed, practically trains itself) to the unsuspecting public.

One thing to consider (that most people don't) is that the initial cost of a dog is usually a small fraction of what you'll spend on caring for it over its lifetime. A maltipoo is a high maintanence dog that will cost you a small fortune to have professionally groomed over the course of its life. I know you think you can do it youself, and maybe you can, but most people try it a few times and give up. Vet bills are even more expensive and you're looking at a combination of two breeds that are rife with health issues. Your $150 "bargain" could wind up costing you thousands of dollars and a whole lot of heartache.

Sorry if this comes across as blunt, but I've seen plenty of people wind up on the losing end in these situations and it's much worse when kids are involved. My advice would be to save up for a Cavalier if that's your other choice.They are a nice even tempered breed and much easier on all fronts. Make sure you find a reputable breeder who offers a health guarantee and stands behind their dogs. Good breeders do ask alot for their dogs, they've got alot invested. Good luck.

If you like the charles spaniel, have you looked into a cocker spaniel? They are similar size and in my opinion cuter than a king charles spaniel. In my experience they are great with kids, having a nice disposition, and don't require huge amounts of exercise. My son is also MMR, and PDD-NOS and my two cockers just love him, and them him. They do require some grooming but we keep ours in a shorter puppy cut to combat this. Also you can get one from a good rescue group for about 200$ or so dollars.

edited to add: Yes, I agree with looking for a good rescue group or breeder also as inbreeding can be a big issue and cause lots of health problems in all dogs. Some cockers can be crazy with kids, but overall the breed is usually a merry little dog who is a good family pet.

If you like the charles spaniel, have you looked into a cocker spaniel? They are similar size and in my opinion cuter than a king charles spaniel. In my experience they are great with kids, having a nice disposition, and don't require huge amounts of exercise. My son is also MMR, and PDD-NOS and my two cockers just love him, and them him. They do require some grooming but we keep ours in a shorter puppy cut to combat this. Also you can get one from a good rescue group for about 200$ or so dollars.

edited to add: Yes, I agree with looking for a good rescue group or breeder also as inbreeding can be a big issue and cause lots of health problems in all dogs. Some cockers can be crazy with kids, but overall the breed is usually a merry little dog who is a good family pet.

Thanks - he likes their "faces" as well! :) I'll look more into Cocker Spaniels too!

What does it matter? Just because it isn't AKC....who cares? Just remember....that is how all these 'breeds' originated....

I have a Maltese/Chihuahua and am very happy with it....and never thought someone was trying to 'make up a new breed'....

What does it matter? Just because it isn't AKC....who cares? Just remember....that is how all these 'breeds' originated....

I have a Maltese/Chihuahua and am very happy with it....and never thought someone was trying to 'make up a new breed'....

There are lots and lots of dogs who are happy, accidental mixes of assorted purebred dogs. Most of my sweet doggies over the years have been mutts. ;-)

But when someone purposely breeds to two different dogs, gives the pups a clever name, and then sells them for purebred-dog prices, yeah, that's a whole different thing. And these folks are not trying to improve a breed, they don't have a goal in mind of developing a completely new breed, complete with comprehensive breeding records. That's how "purebreds" came to be.

It doesn't matter to me whether a breed is recognized by the AKC or not. It doesn't matter to me whether people sell their "oops" pups. It only matters to me...what I said above.

I agree!

I have the cutest, sweetest little cockapoo in the world. I also had a sweet cockapoo when I was a child, 40 years ago, so obviously the deliberate mixing of breeds is not a new phenonenom. It bothers me when people speak with such disdain about mixing purebreds like cockers and poodles. I don't get it.

Several of the posters on this thread, myself included, took great pains to qualify our statements with the fact that mixed breeds are wonderful family pets. NO ONE is denying that. But in the last few years, those of us who have been paying attention to such things have seen the birth and growth of the so-called "Designer Dog Industry." It's a problem for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the public is being duped into thinking that they are buying a "purebred" Maltipoo, for instance. NO such thing. What used to be just a mixed breed is now being given a cutesy name and marketed to the hilt. You took high school bio-- remember the peas and the Punnett square? a mixed breed is only the same in one generation.

Additionally, so-called "breeders" are breeding purebreds who should NEVER be combined--- take for instance the Pekingese/Pug hybrids. Both of these purebreds are incredibly brachycephalic, with pushed in faces and bulging eyes. When the two breeds are combined, very often the offspring is plagued by a VERY undesireable trait-- eyeballs that literally pop out of their socket and flop around on the dog's cheeks, while the dog, understandably, freaks out, terrified. Yes. Right in front of your kids. They require very costly surgery to be repaired, and very often the dogs end up blind. And that's just one example of ONE breed combination. For a while, some idiot breeders were selling St. Bernard/Chihuahua pups. The Saint was the mom, by the way. Not two breeds that would EVER reproduce naturally, and for good reason.

It's big business and the public IS getting swindled. They advertise their mixed breed puppies as "registered" and charge exhorbitant prices. And yes, some of them ARE registered--- with cockamamie, made-up registries such as the "Continental Kennel Club" and "American Pet Registry, Inc." which were dreamed up just to service the puppy millers. Here's a list of them: http://www.grimaldilabs.com

This is not the cockapoos of 40 years ago. It's ugly, filled with heartbreak, and is a sobering reminder of just how greedy folks will get. Supporting these breeders supports the miller industry, which is an absolute travesty.

Astrid (off my soapbox for now, but it's a big issue for me!)

Edited by astrid
link didn't work!

I have to agree with several of the other people. The idea that people are paying top dollar for this is incredible to me. One good reason to buy a pedigreed dog is predictability -- predictable size, character traits, etc. You don't get this with a mixed breed, so why pay the high price for one?

Again, I am all for mixed breeds as pets. I have two of them. :) But I am not for paying really inflated prices to irresponsible "breeders" for them. IMO, it is encouraging bad breeding practices and asking for health issues, behavior issues, and general sorrow down the line.

To the OP -- have you tried any rescue organizations? Most purebreds have them, and you can get a purebred dog for a reasonable donation. I did foster care for Aussies for several years, and we vetted for temperment and potty trained all of our adult dogs. We also occasionally had puppies too. Many breeders will also have dogs that, for whatever reason, can't be shown and will be sold for "pet" prices. Most have a small flaw that makes absolutely no difference in their quality as pets but which makes them ineligible for the show ring. This could also be an option for you.

Best wishes!

I just wanted to echo what a previous poster said about Maltese/Maltipoo coats -- they are a HUGE amount of work. It's not like regular "fur" -- it's more like "fluff" and it mats incredibly easily, even if you keep it short. I have a Havanese and a Maltese and I intended to groom them myself, but gave up after a few months. It costs about $40 each ($90 total with tip) for professional grooming every month. Unless you want to spend a LOT of time and energy grooming your dog, or spend a lot of money every month for someone else to do it, then a Maltipoo may not be your best choice.

(And I have nothing at all against Maltipoos; friends of mine have 2 and they are very smart, sweet, lovely dogs.)

Jackie

Several of the posters on this thread, myself included, took great pains to qualify our statements with the fact that mixed breeds are wonderful family pets. NO ONE is denying that. But in the last few years, those of us who have been paying attention to such things have seen the birth and growth of the so-called "Designer Dog Industry." It's a problem for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the public is being duped into thinking that they are buying a "purebred" Maltipoo, for instance. NO such thing. What used to be just a mixed breed is now being given a cutesy name and marketed to the hilt. You took high school bio-- remember the peas and the Punnett square? a mixed breed is only the same in one generation.

Additionally, so-called "breeders" are breeding purebreds who should NEVER be combined--- take for instance the Pekingese/Pug hybrids. Both of these purebreds are incredibly brachycephalic, with pushed in faces and bulging eyes. When the two breeds are combined, very often the offspring is plagued by a VERY undesireable trait-- eyeballs that literally pop out of their socket and flop around on the dog's cheeks, while the dog, understandably, freaks out, terrified. Yes. Right in front of your kids. They require very costly surgery to be repaired, and very often the dogs end up blind. And that's just one example of ONE breed combination. For a while, some idiot breeders were selling St. Bernard/Chihuahua pups. The Saint was the mom, by the way. Not two breeds that would EVER reproduce naturally, and for good reason.

It's big business and the public IS getting swindled. They advertise their mixed breed puppies as "registered" and charge exhorbitant prices. And yes, some of them ARE registered--- with cockamamie, made-up registries such as the "Continental Kennel Club" and "American Pet Registry, Inc." which were dreamed up just to service the puppy millers. Here's a list of them: http://www.grimaldilabs.com

This is not the cockapoos of 40 years ago. It's ugly, filled with heartbreak, and is a sobering reminder of just how greedy folks will get. Supporting these breeders supports the miller industry, which is an absolute travesty.

Astrid (off my soapbox for now, but it's a big issue for me!)

I agree 100% with everything Astrid stated.

Mixed breed dogs can be great and yes, that is how most breeds were started. By taking desirable traited(word?) dogs and producing them together and keeping wonderful records to then later put them into a TRUE kennel club.

However, the malitpoo(or any mix) that you know from 20 years ago are now being sold for $100's and sometimes $1000's of dollars. These are not some families mistakes that might charge a cost to dover vaccines given already. Most of these do not have any health guarentee or even veterinary records and people are still paying those fees.

MUtts can be great dogs but whenever you mix a dog or most animals for that matter you do not know what new animal will be like.

I'm an extremely happy owner of a "designer" dog (a rescue) and don't think they're the root of all evil in the dog breeding world. There are certainly unethical - even criminal - breeders of mixed breed dogs, but there are also plenty of unethical breeders of pure-bred dogs and plenty of careless, irresponsible people who simply let their animals wander around and breed at random. I find it all deplorable, frankly.

I second (or third, or whatever) the suggestion of contacting a rescue organization or using Petfinder. The people who foster dogs really seem committed to making a good match between the dogs in their care and the families to whom they adopt. They will be able to give you a realistic idea of the dog's temperament, energy levels, and coat. You might not be able to get a puppy - not sure how important that is to you - but for me, knowing the temperament is the most important thing. For some people, it might be knowing that the dog isn't going to be a big shedder; with mixes, that can be really difficult to predict with a puppy.

Anyway, I wish you luck in whatever you decide and hope you find a dog who fits the needs of your family :).

SBP

I have found having high needs children, I was glad to get an older dog. They are already trained in basic obedience, they are usually housebroken, and they are past that destroy everything in sight age.

My cockers are both rescues, and are both great dogs. Both are purebred, but Rocky would not be show quality as he is too tall, lol. But both just laze about the house, deal with the twins playing with them, and both are house broken. Could not have found two better dogs if I had tried. And both were less than 200$ each.

So I echo the others who have said to try a rescue first. Most rescue groups foster their dogs out with familys, so the dogs are used to the hustle and bustle of having a family around, they are exposed to cats, and walks, and most foster familys are dedicated to taking the best care of the dog as possible, meaning the dog is fully vetted, and any health needs have been taken care of.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest freakinxashley

I've got a cocker spaniel. He has been an excellent dog and hasn't been a hassle to the family. Although one problem I've come across that I didn't know when buying the dog was that their breed is more likely to become deaf and blind. I know this first hand. My dog started becoming deaf and blind about a year ago. Although he suffers from these problems, he's alive and well. Cockers are smart dogs. He knows his way around the house and is still a playful, nice dog.