Menu

Last night I barbecued pizza. I'm hooked.

We are in a heat wave, which is very unusual where I live. Actually I can't remember the last time we had a decent summer so I'm trying not to complain and enjoy it. But it's hot.

In desperation I decided to try grilling a pizza, which I know is a fairly popular technique but I've been hesitant to try.

Anyway, I made my dough. After it rose I rolled it out onto a piece of non stick alumium foil. Then I slid that onto my hot barbecue, closed the lid and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Then I flipped the dough over and grilled the other side a couple of minutes. Then I added topping, grilled it again for maybe 5 - 10 minutes.

Unbelievably delicious crust. Way better than what I've ever achieved in the oven (and I'm a pizza pro 'cause it's my favourite food). The crust was crispy and chewy.

Try it!

No diet this weekend, so I may give this a try!

Do you think it's really necessary to flip the crust? That sounds like a lot of trouble. I'm thinking I'll just heat the pizza stone in the barbecue and cook the entire pizza at once, just like we would in the oven...

We are in a heat wave, which is very unusual where I live. Actually I can't remember the last time we had a decent summer so I'm trying not to complain and enjoy it. But it's hot.

Try it!

You must be from the northwest. I grew up there, and cannot believe how hot it is this summer! We never had an air conditioner growing up, but it's been so HOT that my dad brought home a 2nd air conditioner on Tuesday! CRAZY weather!

No diet this weekend, so I may give this a try!

Do you think it's really necessary to flip the crust? That sounds like a lot of trouble. I'm thinking I'll just heat the pizza stone in the barbecue and cook the entire pizza at once, just like we would in the oven...

I think the biggest reason for flipping it is because the underneath heat cooks the dough quite quickly, from the bottom. I flipped it (according to directions) to give both surfaces a crispiness. Also when I added my toppings, which were fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, basil the crust didn't get soggy (actually even the left overs). When I served the pizza I also sprinkled some olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top.

You do have watch that the grill isn't too hot, to avoid charring the dough.

This was a Cooking Light recipe.

You must be from the northwest. I grew up there, and cannot believe how hot it is this summer! We never had an air conditioner growing up, but it's been so HOT that my dad brought home a 2nd air conditioner on Tuesday! CRAZY weather!

I am sure we might have had summers like this before, but not really in my memory (and I have lived here my whole life). It is unbelievable. I am enjoying sun but I have to say, heat not so much. It is getting a bit oppressing. Yesterday I went to work for a few hours (I work casually) thinking "great, air conditioner". It was broken!! I have never been so hot in my life. I have even donned a swim suit and joined my kids in their little pool (I have never done that.)

And then there's the pesky lack of sleep grumpiness I feel creeping up on me. We usually tell people we live in a "moderate, coastal climate" . . . I like moderate! :001_smile:

I think the biggest reason for flipping it is because the underneath heat cooks the dough quite quickly, from the bottom. I flipped it (according to directions) to give both surfaces a crispiness. Also when I added my toppings, which were fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, basil the crust didn't get soggy (actually even the left overs). When I served the pizza I also sprinkled some olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top.
Thanks! Yes, I think I understood the motivation. I'm just hopeful I can get good results without that extra step and cook it as we would in our indoor oven.

I just took a pizza stone out and compared it with our Weber charcoal grills. There is about a 2" gap around the outside of the stone in the smaller grill and a 4" gap around the outside of the stone in the larger grill. I'll try them both this weekend (or at some later time) and will report back how it goes.

Your pizza sounds delicious, BTW! :drool5:

I am so glad to see this thread. I've always wanted to try it. I'll be very interested to hear how the pizza stone on the grill works since I'd like to try that as well. Sure beats heating up the house with the oven and we get tired of the old grilling standbys.

Thanks all!

I am sure we might have had summers like this before, but not really in my memory (and I have lived here my whole life). It is unbelievable. I am enjoying sun but I have to say, heat not so much. It is getting a bit oppressing. Yesterday I went to work for a few hours (I work casually) thinking "great, air conditioner". It was broken!! I have never been so hot in my life. I have even donned a swim suit and joined my kids in their little pool (I have never done that.)

And then there's the pesky lack of sleep grumpiness I feel creeping up on me. We usually tell people we live in a "moderate, coastal climate" . . . I like moderate! :001_smile:

I grew up in NW Washington and don't remember having summers as hot as I'm hearing about now. It's funny, I have lived in Oklahoma for the better part of 8 years now, and the summer heat is becoming "normal" to me. However, I do miss the 70 and 80 degree summers of the past.

I switched to using my grill for pizza - I tried it for the first time last summer when I didn't want to heat up the house, and it worked so well, I haven't gone back :)

Like when it's -20 and we have strong arctic outflow winds!

Even my kids said they loved it (even with the non traditional toppings).

:confused: So where is the recipe!! I've been looking for a really good pizza crust recipe. Please pass it along. :D

But here's kind of what I do.

I dump 2 cups water into my mixer to which I add maybe a tablespoon yeast, a tablespoon salt, a 1/2tsp sugar and I usually like to add some herbs to my crust . . .rosemary, oregano or basil, maybe two tablespoons oh and 3 -4 cups flour. About 1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil. I mix it all together for a couple of minutes. Then I let the dough rise 1/2 - 1 hour. That's it. That makes two large pizza crusts, 3 if it's a thin crust.

Hope that gives you an idea.

So do you use a charcoal grill or a gas grill?? And is the grill actually on or do you heat it up to 400 and then turn it off and bake the pizza with residual heat?? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm just really clueless. :p hehe

After I've heated it up I turn it down as low as it goes.

So we tried it tonight using Rose's dough recipe...a unanimous YUMMY!

We used our gas grill, heated it up and turned it way down. We made three pizzas, nothing too crazy or the kids wouldn't eat it. We had a barbecue chicken, a Canadian bacon and pineapple, and a chicken alfredo (my personal favorite). I thought the ones with the thinnest crust were the best, but I like crispy.

Thanks again Rose!:D

So we tried it tonight using Rose's dough recipe...a unanimous YUMMY!

We used our gas grill, heated it up and turned it way down. We made three pizzas, nothing too crazy or the kids wouldn't eat it. We had a barbecue chicken, a Canadian bacon and pineapple, and a chicken alfredo (my personal favorite). I thought the ones with the thinnest crust were the best, but I like crispy.

Thanks again Rose!:D

I plan to make the pizza again using more conventional toppings (the tomato, basil thing was more to my liking than the kids). Your alfredo one sounds yummy!

Thanks to the OP for posting this. We tried it tonight and it was UNREAL. The best pizza I've ever had. EASY (used the nonstick foil - great tip!!) and it worked like a charm. 10 minutes to a finished pizza - after making the dough in the bread machine. I'll never cook pizza in the oven again!

ETA - I used pesto, feta, hot Italian sausage (cooked) and banana peppers. YUMMMMM!

Thanks to the OP for posting this. We tried it tonight and it was UNREAL. The best pizza I've ever had. EASY (used the nonstick foil - great tip!!) and it worked like a charm. 10 minutes to a finished pizza - after making the dough in the bread machine. I'll never cook pizza in the oven again!

ETA - I used pesto, feta, hot Italian sausage (cooked) and banana peppers. YUMMMMM!

Oh my your toppings sound awesome. I'm going to have to try that tomorrow night. (I wonder if my family will tire of pizza . . . who cares, I won't. :lol:)

MMMMMMMM!

That sounds awesome. I'll have to try that!

Of course we go through about five pizzas around here.

I'd say after I made the dough and rolled it out, the actually barbecuing time for two pizza's totaled 20 minutes or so. Much less time than the oven.