Menu

What's Your Favorite Language Curriculum for 5th Grade?

tdeveson

I've been teaching grammar, reading, writing, spelling, vocabulary and punctuation informally from grades 1-4 just using the books we read. We're in good shape, but for fifth grade the little guy has asked to do something more formal.

Would you share your favorite language curriculum for fifth grade? There are so many out there that I end up like a deer in headlights. Thanks!

This year for 5th grade:

grammar: Abeka 5 - this is our first year using Abeka so not sure about it

spelling: Spelling Power

writing: Meaningful Composition

reading: DITHOR with books from our history study

copywork: Pictures in Cursive and CopyWork

We are using Classical Writing Aesop B, which covers grammar, diagramming, composition and spelling (although we use Spelling Wisdom, which also takes care of dictation). But we also do latin, so there is quite a bit of grammar in that. It has way pared down our language.

If you want something all together from one resource with schedules, I suggest K12. We're using it for 5th grade next year. I'm very impressed with their Language Arts, especially. It covers all the areas you mentioned, spelling, grammar, writing, literature (reading), vocabulary, and it also has test readiness exercises. We used it for 4th, and I'm happy with all of it, especially the reading selections, and the discussion questions that go along with it.

www.k12.com

If you don't mind piecing together, you could follow TWTM selections for 5th grade:

Spelling Workout (E, F, or G is 5th grade)

Rod & Staff

Writing Strands, IEW, or Classical Writing, + dictation 2x/week

Reading - 30 mins./day structured from history, 30-60 mins./day free reading, + memorize 3-5 poems/passages per year

Rod & Staff English.

I haven't found a perfect spelling book. Spelling Power was perfect for my eldest, who is a natural speller. I didn't care one bit for Spelling Workout, but I think it would work well for a natural speller. It just didn't work for my 2 who are not natural spellers. I still haven't found something I like for ds, but my other dd is going to use Spelling Power because she's good enough at it now that this will be just what she needs given the method she uses for learning to spell (she figured it out herself combined with my making her copy the words by themselves ever day. All that sentence stuff merely confused the issue for her.)

My dc are all pretty good readers by the time they hit that age, so I don't use any reader for that grade. As for reading outside of texts and books we use to fill out history, etc, I don't have any set list; it varies with each dc.

I haven't always used a writing program for that grade, but I have dc who will be doing Wordsmith Apprentice next year, which can be used for gr. 5. Personally, I like WriteShop, but when my dd saw the one her db is going to use for gr 4, she wanted to do it, too, even though she's several grades ahead of him.