Menu

Black Ships Before Troy/The Wanderings of Odysseus...

jenadina

I have Black Ships in hardcover and Wanderings in paperback. I can say that I am planning on re-purchasing Wandering in HC! It really depends on how you read them I guess. We did Black Ships on the couch together, and the kids could hardly wait to see the next illustration. I will add though, that they are not for the faint of heart... plenty of weeping and blood....though done very poetically :).

We did Black Ships on the couch together, and the kids could hardly wait to see the next illustration. I will add though, that they are not for the faint of heart... plenty of weeping and blood....though done very poetically :).

ditto this. My first look-through, I didn't like them because they were... sort of... bloody. My kids, though, absolutely loved it. It wasn't too much, apparently - and the paintings just brought them right in to the story.

They're both beautifully done.

Can anyone tell me where to buy these in HC?

Amazon.com

Search Black Ships Before Troy, Click on the paperback edition. (It will be the first one that comes up on the list)

When that page comes up, go to the box that says other editions.

One will be hardcover and will say list price 19.99, their price 13.87!!

Click on hardcover and there it is!:)

That's weird, because I have paperbacks with illustrations.

Are they color illustrations, or black-and-white line drawing type? There *are* 2 different paperback editions; the mass-market and the regular.

I was leaning toward the hc editions anyway, but you all have convinced me :D

Just a couple of notes...

- There is more than one illustrator. We like Alan Lee, as I think someone mentioned.

- I think all the illustrators will have at least one or two pictures where you might want to tape a "shirt" on the ladies.

- Our library carries the Alan Lee hardcovers, although you don't get to know which version will arrive when you reserve online. You can ask the librarian for special help, but they don't always know, either.

- My son was reading these on his own for a book club and he definitely preferred the illustrated hardcovers. Amazon arrived pretty quickly :)